Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's 1/24 '77 4x4 GMC Truck

tooltas

Thanks for the info on the bed, but, it still looks too much like

a Phantom Cameo with those inner bed sides molded with the floor.

They just look too vertical!!

I will have to look at real ones to see how close to a stepside inner

box the inside of a Fleetside of this era actually is.

Luckily I think my brother still has our dad's oldie!!

But, I have not spoken to him in a few years!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

It's the inside of the MPC/AMT bed which I have a problem with- the side walls are smooth, there's zero lip detail where the side and front walls meet the bed sides, and the wheel housings look generically half hex-shaped.

mpcGMCbed.jpg

They both need improvement, but I think the Monogram beds are easier to re-work because of their multi-piece construction...or we can all just build Stepside/Fenderside pickups. :D

It would be nice to have the option to use one bed or the other, but unfortunately they're different scales and don't match up at all. However, the parts are all available to build a GMC stepside and a Chevy wideside in both scales. :)

If I might pile on a bit. The MPC grilles look much better, too. The Revell '77 GMC grille openings are too big, and the grille is too tall from top to bottom. Their '75 Chevy grille doesn't even have the right amount of openings, and depicts no truck grille I've ever seen. MPC's grilles look much better.

Now that's not to say I don't have nits with MPC's trucks, but between the two, I'd take MPC.

The only thing good about Revell's '78 C10 is the cab. The MPC cabs don't have the model badging on them. The Revell C10 is an abomination of a kit with the California stepside bed and the poor excuse for a front suspension...

• 3 months later...

Casey,

What is the likelihood that Model Empire will have these in 3 weeks when I am up there? I sure would like to pick these up, along with a few other goodies, when I make the annual family vacation trip to Cheeseland!

Your mirrors should go out tomorrow. It finally cooled off to the mid-90's this week and I can go out to the garage without melting!

The '84 GMC doesn't have any badges. Wonder why the earlier Chevies had the badges and the '84 GMC didn't?

IMO, I think MPC would have had to look at the cost consideration of redoing the mold for the GMC to have the badging on the sides to say SIERRA, HIGH SIERRA or SIERRA CLASSIC where on the Chevy's they could just cover up the CUSTOM DELUXE, SCOTTSDALE or SILVERADO badging without maybe having to redo the molds.

Even though this is probably and no way true, this seems like a reasonable way of why the Chevy's had the badging and the GMC does not...

Thanks for the updated picture Casey. I am curious as to who may have built that cover model and why it hasn't been posted on a forum? I would think with the interest generated so far that somebody would have wanted the rest of the modeling world to see it!

I am wondering how detailed that plow assembly really is?

Thanks again!

I get the feeling the plow blade and support for it are three or four pieces at most, with another three or four pieces for the upper light bar/motor/mechanicals. There appears to be nothing included for actually lifting the blade, either.

If it is like the old MPC Jeep plow kits, then there are probably 4-6 pieces total for the plow assembly. The lack of a lifting mechanism can be overcome by finding some chain in jewelry section at Michaels.

Either way, it has been 40 years since we have had a kit with a snow plow for a pickup truck!

So... if I'm reading this right, the plow might be this kit's big selling point. How's the actual truck itself? Is it closer to the GMC Wrekcer or the '76 C10 Street Machine, detail-wise?

I built the Monogram Chevy K10 Sportside (blue plastic) about 20 years ago, and remember it being a pretty decent kit. If this one is fairly close to that I might be in for a couple.

So... if I'm reading this right, the plow might be this kit's big selling point. How's the actual truck itself? Is it closer to the GMC Wrekcer or the '76 C10 Street Machine, detail-wise?

I built the Monogram Chevy K10 Sportside (blue plastic) about 20 years ago, and remember it being a pretty decent kit. If this one is fairly close to that I might be in for a couple.

Chuck, I would have to say that this kit will be closer to the stepside kit you built. I remember building this same truck years ago and it went together pretty well, much better than the 76 Street Machine. This should be a good seller, especially if the plow assembly is close to the real thing.

I don't need more GMC pickup kits (got about 8 of the '84 MPC kits in various stages) but if this plow assembly is decent, I might have to save some lunch money and get a bunch or hope that Hobby Lobby stocks them and I can use the 40% off coupon!

Rub it in Jonathan! Those folks up near the Grand Canyon know what a snow plow is!

Funny you should say that, when I was kid, we lived at the Grand Canyon for a few years, I remember having to help push start my dads VW bug in the snow to get it started

• 2 weeks later...