Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 62 Catalina 2 in 1 Review Needed

CEKPETHO BCE

Hello world.

I would once again like to hear your opinion on a particular kit.

Whenever I ask for a review I get a ton of great comments from you guys and gals so thank you all.

Anyways, I'm wondering how is the AMT 62 Catalina 2 in 1 kit? Does it have all the custom parts from the Catalina custom kit?

I know AMT has reissued 57 Chevy and left out a bunch of custom parts, did they pull the same thing here too?

Thanks.

Here is the pic of the kit I'm referring to:

amt623.jpg

It's a nice kit, created during one of AMT's "good" periods. The Pontiac engine is nicely done, as is the rearend and the other drivetrain parts, and from what I've seen, the interior (dash in particular) looks good, too. I only had parts to look over, and not the whole kit, but I would definitely recommend it.

One thing Round2 has going for it is .pdf files of its kit's instruction sheets right on its website, so you can "look over" each kit at your leisure: http://www.round2models.com/files/instructions/amt623.pdf

This issue contains parts to build both the stock and custom versions. Two sets of wheels and tires (and two slicks), stock and custom grilles, stock and custom interior parts. The kit was designed with two versions that were originally sold separately, like the '60 Ford hardtop. Like that kit, both versions are offered together in the current issue.

• 1 month later...

I have only one gripe about this kit- AMT only would have needed to add a second pair of skinny tires for a three in one kit- stock, custom or drag... just like in the glory days. I know a proper set of stock tires is just a trip to the parts box away for 99% of us, but still! That aside, it's a good kit and a good one to have back even if they sort of replaced the stock building option with a drag version.

I just built one as the beswick car from one of the earlier SD421 version. I like it and will be building another one soon .

I have a custom version I bought thinking they were all the same and found out it was custom only ,,,, I'll use it for trade fodder or a parts kit only

Edited by gtx6970

• 7 years later...

Here are some content pics of the earlier AMT/Ertl stock (well, "factory" drag) version of this kit: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1352/amt-pontiac-catalina-super-duty

WP_20180416_009-vi.jpg

My high praise for this kit still stands, though, all other things being nearly equal, I would seek out the Arnie Beswick version, which is molded in white plastic and includes pad-printed M&H slicks:

AMT62CatalinaAB.jpg.ee1926d746db7779004ac0b5df2a1859.jpg

On 1/9/2013 at 10:45 PM, Casey said:

One thing Round2 has going for it is .pdf files of its kit's instruction sheets right on its website, so you can "look over" each kit at your leisure: http://www.round2models.com/files/instructions/amt623.pdf

The "new and improved" Round2 site is absolutely not user-friendly compared to five or six years ago. It's ponderous to peruse and it no longer provides instruction .pdf files. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.