Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han 62 Chrysler Custom

Ajay

Made a start on this one over the weekend. Just going for a mild custom look - nothing earth shattering just removal of the side trim & door handles, tube grill & lowered suspension. The Caddy hubcaps and tyres are from the Modelhaus & the tube grill is from Evergreen plastic rod. Unfortunately some of the chrome came off the bumper so I've had to strip it back with bleach so will have to break outthe Alclad. Planned colour is Honda Fresh Lime Metallic.I'll have to see if I can find some suitable headlight lenses in the spares box.

62chrysler1_zps34b3cee1.jpg

62chrysler2_zpsafd937d0.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andy

Looks great!

Nice job on that grill --- can you briefly describe your process for building it?

Thanks John,

I made the tube grill from Evergreen .040" rod, I started by tapeing the 3 vertical supports to a cutting mat (the lines on the cutting mat were helpful in ensuring that the strips were vertical) then I cut the horizontal bars over-sized and glued them to the supports. I tried to ensure that the gap between each rod was constant by sliding a X-Acto blade between the rods and making any adjustments while the glue was still setting. Once it had all dried I bent the grille slightly in the middle to form a vee shape and put the grille over the stock opening & marked out the basic shape of the grille. Then it was just a case of cutting the rod and some gentle sanding of the ends to get them to fit inside the opening

Hope that makes sense !.

Cheers

Andy

PS/ Thanks for the interest guys

Id have to agree with everyone else, beautiful job on that grill. I'll too have to remember that trick the next time I need to build one. Gonna be a great looking little cruiser, can't wait to see it with that laid on there. I'll be watching this one.

Thanks for the info on the grill, Andy. I'll give it a shot on my '59 Ford project that's been parked while I tried to find a suitable custom grill wide enough to fit its big mouth.

Looking forward to more progress on the Chrysler!

Pleasure John - hope it helped.

Managed to spray the basecoat this morning, Zero paints dry matt so just giving the paint time to gas out then I'll spray the clear.

62chrysler3_zpsbb2051a0.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all
Made some progress on this one, I've polished out the clearcot & added the Bare Metal Foil to the trim..

Chrysler12_zps549edb29.jpg

Chrysler11_zps818bdd3d.jpg
I've also painted the front & rear bumpers with Alclad 2 chrome - not perfect but slightly brighter in real life than in the pictures.
Chrysler8_zps7aaff7aa.jpg

Chrysler9_zps260e72b8.jpg
Thanks for looking
Andy