Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 69 Camaro ProMod

stump

Greg this is looking great. You have made alot of progress since the last I saw it. The Chassis looks fantastic and so does the scratch building of the transmission. Great work my friend. I gotta ask will you take me for a ride in it when it is finished :blink: . Excellent detail and work, you have some skills.

Greg,

Alter the front flange to resemble the real Lenco. The front cases are different where they bolt to the Bellhousing. Looks good so far though!

Paul

http://www.lencoraci...MasterPage.html

Thanks ever so much Paul. :lol:

Checked the link and finally just did a search for Lenco's.....amazing what you can find when you look.....:lol: Guess it pays to not just go by what you have in front of you, kit parts which may not be too accurate for instance.....:lol:

The mounting flanges now look a lot closer to what they should, cheers. :lol: Pics over the weekend......Also been working on the reverse lock-out (?) lever......

Many thanks too Chris, John and Derrick.

It's great builders like you guys who feed me with tons of inspiration. :lol:;)

Greg, you REALLY suprise me that you haven't actually started on a REAL car!!!! This seems to be as complicated as doing the REAL thing, only smaller!

This is as complete as the lil 240 Z you were working on. Hopefully you can get them both done soon. It'd be nice to see them both. Glad yer back at tha bench Bro, I've missed you, AND your incredible scratchbuilding/detailing abilities!!!!:( :( :(

Greg, this is looking great. I especially like the work you've done on the body, the long nose and the rear fender/trunk areas, very awesome! I really like that tranny and its mtg brkts as well as your chassis work. Well, I like it all, nuff said. Great work!

Something about those resin Lenco trannys that'll make you toss em everyt time, im at the same place on my promod build, I tossed mine and opted to scratch build one. I wish you well in this endevor Bro. keep up the outstanding effort! Romell :rolleyes:

Greg, you REALLY suprise me that you haven't actually started on a REAL car!!!! This seems to be as complicated as doing the REAL thing, only smaller!

This is as complete as the lil 240 Z you were working on. Hopefully you can get them both done soon. It'd be nice to see them both. Glad yer back at tha bench Bro, I've missed you, AND your incredible scratchbuilding/detailing abilities!!!!:D:(;)

Hey George, thanks for the kind words mate. :D Nah, I leave the work on real cars to the professionals these days.... My time getting too dirty and greasy are way passed...... :lol:

Thank you too Jeff and Romell.

Romell, yes....I scored the resin Lenco quite some time ago and it would have done the job, but I searched and ended up finding too much great info, as usual...... So, making a better version was inevitable......

Ok, well I have managed to get a bit done in my absence....

The NEW Lenco is getting much closer, thanks to Paul. All the flanges have been updated, a new trans holder has been made to suit, and the mounts are added to the floor area on the chassis.

I made a reverse lever and assembly for it too, but think I forgot to get pics of that....oops. I will check and post them later.

The bell-housing (Trick Titanium) now has a linkage and shaft, as well as the drain tube added. I also had to modify the flange, as my nephew kindly pointed out, I had it to suit a BB Chev... He's a Chevy guy.....

I also modified the pedal assembly, so that the brake and clutch pedals work independently....and added a small spring inside the brake booster.. (not that I'll be using it, but I'll know the brakes work..)

I also made a basic front engine mount, and the idler pulley mount for the front of the motor.

NOT sure if it's all that accurate, but it should all line up once the rest of the belt and pulley's get added.....

Finally....................I HAVE to give a HUGE word of praise to a great friend of ours, right here.....Dave. (ten thumbs up mate) ;)

I have never in my life experienced such a wonderful experience by just meeting someone via the net....It truly is an amazing place to meet like minded people when you think about it.....(starting to get sobby now...sorry.....)

Through this mans own generosity, I now have something I thought was going to give me headaches for at least 6 months while I tried to get things right.....

WHEELS and TYRES........ProMod style. :D Along with an assortment of other goodies which will help on my next project.....(but that's a tale for another time.....)

Not forgetting some of the BEST reference material a guy could ever ask for. Thanks Dave.

Alright, enough rambling, time for pics.......

MASTERS for front and rear wheels and tyres......

The masters will of course, be finding their way back to Dave in good time........I just need to get my act together, and make myself 2 sets......(yep, second project.....)

DSCF7552-vi.jpg

DSCF7554-vi.jpg

PLUS, an added bonus of several "test" tyres to use for mock-up purposes......

DSCF7563-vi.jpg

DSCF7562-vi.jpg

Overview......

DSCF7556-vi.jpg

THANK YOU again Dave. ;)B);)

Continues........

Continued.....................

NEW Lenco taking shape....(note incorrect flange on the can......)

DSCF7545-vi.jpg

Getting closer.......

DSCF7583-vi.jpg

Flange altered and drain, linkage added......

DSCF7585-vi.jpg

Brakes being altered as well......

DSCF7574-vi.jpg

Front engine mount and idler plate.

Reference shows the idler sitting slightly forward on the main plate....?? So I made this similar, though as said, it may not be accurate......

I drilled some pilot holes into the block, inserted some .7mm threaded rod, then slid some tiny nuts over the rod to give it a "space" between them......

DSCF7577-vi.jpg

DSCF7578-vi.jpg

Overview with the engine resting in place.....

DSCF7587-vi.jpg

Work has also begun on fabricating a sheet-metal (plastic) rear end assembly.....again, using reference supplied by Dave..

Hope to not leave it as long between drinks with the next update guys...Thank you all for your thoughts and for stopping by..

cheers

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much Luis, Richard and Joe. :D

:lol: Luis, I hadn't considered casting the Lenco, It's probably not as accurate as it could be, but I'm still contemplating adding a bad to it once installed, so most will be hidden...

Well, with a fairly mixed up, hectic past few weeks, I've been chipping away at some of the more fiddly details.....Not a lot to show, but a good amount done....Does that make sense...?? :P

Got a start on the fuel system mounting.....the stem for the fuel pump.

DSCF7606-vi.jpg

DSCF7607-vi.jpg

Also decided to make an offset drive for the ProMag magneto. It needs a lot of clean up and some finishing with some detail nut and bolt detail, but it will allow a bit more room around the rocker cover. :)

The blower manifold has also received some extra work, just tidying up the front and rear sections, and adding the burst panel location.

DSCF7603-vi.jpg

MOST of the spare time has gone into the steering.....

Found a suitable wheel in my parts stash, suitably sized tubing, and mounted it all to the firewall.

Hopefully, the rack and pinion will work..(still very much in development...) but the rest of it functions, from the wheel down to the last joint. :)

I made the "rubberised" joints from heat-shrink. With some detail painting, I'm hoping they resemble the late style most teams are using.

DSCF7594-vi.jpg

DSCF7592-vi.jpg

The rack and brackets are only sitting in rough position. I will add another guide sleeve to the upright where the steering rod is almost parallel with the chassis rail.

DSCF7596-vi.jpg

DSCF7601-vi.jpg

The "safety loop" tunnel is started as well. Still need to add some front tubes for the mounting, but it all lines up ok.

DSCF7602-vi.jpg

Ok, well that's this week so far.....not back at work till next Monday, so I'm finally hoping to get some quality bench time.....:D

Stay tuned, and thanks for stopping by.

cheers

Greg

Thanks Richard, Derrick and Romell. :)

Well, the FULL week of quality bench time didn't quite eventuate, but I still managed to sneak away from the family goings on for a while.......:D

First up, a bit of third member fabrication......

DSCF7641-vi.jpg

Top front mount for the tail-shaft loop......

Testing alignment..................

DSCF7628-vi.jpg

Also kicked off the 4-link......It will need to be well started to continue the rear frame fabrication......

DSCF7609-vi.jpg

DSCF7620-vi.jpg

DSCF7635-vi.jpg

DSCF7643-vi.jpg

Re-designed and made a new rack for the steering.....the one I wanted to fit, didn't quite work out. :D So I'm re-positioning the steering column as well.....Oh well......

Made a gas pedal while still on the inside, plus a lot of the internal bar work has been added.....

DSCF7631-vi.jpg

DSCF7630-vi.jpg

DSCF7619-vi.jpg

DSCF7613-vi.jpg

Well, back to the bench I go.......Thought we were to be without power again today (major line upgrade) but it's still on at present.....:)

So I may get back with more later on this evening.......see how I go. ;)

Thanks for stopping by gang, and throw any Q's or critique my way if you wish.

cheers

Greg

Thanks so much Tyrone. :unsure:

Well, between visitors, market wanderings, and power outages.....I got a couple of hours in. On and off...............:blink::lol:

Second half of the 4-link.

Roughed up the first piece, free-hand pen work - straight to plastic. Cut that piece and sandwiched the other 3 together with bolts. Same principal as used for the first set..

DSCF7644-vi.jpg

DSCF7646-vi.jpg

Very poor quality pic, sorry.....but you get the idea......

DSCF7645-vi.jpg

Four identical pieces.....:) Well......pretty close anyways...................:lol:

DSCF7648-vi.jpg

Testing on the axle tubes.....

DSCF7651-vi.jpg

And, at a loose end late this arvo, I just threw it all together roughly to gain an idea of how it's going......

Steering column back in too.....

DSCF7655-vi.jpg

DSCF7654-vi.jpg

That's all for tonight.....I'm in dire need of sleep........Having relatives here all week has taken it's toll on my sleeping habits.......:lol:

Thanks guys

Greg

Greg, the four-link is coming out nice, as is the differential. I just have to keep adding to the list of TOP BUILDER'S I find on this site that give so much inspiration & ideas, while I think it'll be awhile before I try to tackle a 1/16th scale build,I just hope my P/X that I'm trying to get my butt around to working on turns out 1/2 as good as the builds I see here now. The Camaro is coming out great!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the very kind comments guys. ;)

Earl,

I'm using 3.2mm (1/8) rod and tube for the main rails. The remainder of the smaller bars are 2mm and 2.5mm. ;) The 3.2mm works out to just a tad over 1.5inch @ 1.511. Hope that helps out mate.

Mike,

Yes...get out that large scale build and jump into it man. ;)

Richard,

Don't be afraid to jump on in mate....you learn as you go. There's a lot of areas on this that I'm not 100% sure on, but I'm bluffing my way through them.......;):D It's a continual learning curve mate,

and I generally find something new to try every time I visit here. ;)

Joe,

Yeah.....I'm not real good at the "step by step" thing.....usually forget to take progress pics of some major points....:rolleyes::lol: And I'm glad you are finding it beneficial mate. Thanks.

Well, this week has been slow......but I did a little.........

Fist off, a very welcome parcel arrived from Dave (comp1839) and it was something to save my skin again. :)

Some very very nice blower drive pulleys and an idler pulley...

DSCF7670-vi.jpg

DSCF7668-vi.jpg

The belt I sourced locally, and the fit is not bad.....may be a tad long, but I have a plan in store for that.......

DSCF7674-vi.jpg

I made a slight mod to the top pulley, removing the aluminium shaft, opting for a plastic shaft which I could easily adapt to the blower snout.

I'm half way through making the 3-splined drive for the "starter", as this car wont have an on-board battery system for self-starting...

DSCF7671-vi.jpg

AND.....................it fell in half...........................Ok, not really fell in half, it took some effort actually......

DSCF7675-vi.jpg

Mounted with small screws, I'm hoping to disguise them as Dzus fasteners....see how that works out later........

DSCF7677-vi.jpg

DSCF7679-vi.jpg

And FINALLY.....you get to see how much of the "kit plastic" is NOT going to be left in tact.....................................................

The inner guard/fender on the other side is almost completely gone......I had to hog it out of the way to make sure the big boots fitted ok. :P

DSCF7680-vi.jpg

That brings you up to speed for this week, thanks for looking, and hope you like it.

cheers

Greg