Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting a Manx using enamels for the first time.

I usually use all lacquer based products and i have a farily good working technique for those. Enamels this is my first time.

My plan is to use Testors' Metalflake Green out of the little square bottles with lacquer thinner 2:1. Am i limited to using Testor's Clear Enamel as a top coat or can i use Dupli Color Acrylic?

What is the name of the Testor's clear enamel? I presume at least two coats? Polishing required?

Please let me know if you see any problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

joe.

Guest G Holding

Donn loves Mr Murphy....The Acryl will work....BUT if your doing it Donns way..You will die when you see the shine before clear! Only Issue I see with Donns Enamel clear...it is and does yellow..MM makes a clear LACQUER for over enamels that is clear, will work perfect and the label says for use on Enamels. MM # 2017

The only color that I've had the clear yellow on was white . Yes , I know others have suffered with lighter colors doing the same thing , I haven't !

Difference being , I believe that my cleaning and waxing the models for the vending and show tables on a regular basis prevents this from occurring . Leave a 1:1 sit for a long period of time without cleaning the finish and watch what happens , regardless of what product it was painted with . It will dull out , fade , and yellow as time passes !

Thanks so much guys. Evidently this request was moved and i was just able to find it. I use strips of white styrene to track incompatibility. I really has been a model saver!!!

Donn,

Do you also use lacquer thinner for the Clear Top Coat????

thanks again,

joe.

Joe, I don't think you have to use any undercoat, but the color under it does make some difference. Here it is over black primer. It's actually darker than this pic shows.

Monstertruck009.jpg

As you can see, it's metallic on its own, but you can make it darker or lighter by what's under it. Hope that helps.

WHAT DID I DO WRONG????

It may be too soon to panic but it appears my first experience spraying lacquer thinned enamel has been a miss. I must admit it does spray shiny, however its coverage on curved areas is thinner and on flat areas heavier. Did i thin too much? Or should i have done a mist coat and let that dry before goung for a deeper color????

Can i fix thix this with another coat on the thinner areas when this dries?.

Thanks for any help.

Joe.