Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone try this chrome paint?

• 1 year later...

For me, the Kosutte Ginsan is too dark. The powder is also hard to handle.

I still haven't found anything I like:

• Duplicolor chrome stuff tarnishes if you touch it.
  • Alclad and Spaztix (over smooth, glossy black) look too much like paint and lack that silky smoothness of real chrome.
  • Sometimes BMF is okay, but I can't get a uniform flat surface that's not wavy. Burnishing makes it even worse.

Maybe the only perfect solution is to have the parts actually plated. But what if the body has raised, molded-on parts, like trim and door handles, that need to be chromed?

Perfectionism is truly a curse.

Edited by Ddms

I just tested Duplicolor spray chrome again, and tried rubbing my fingers on it, and it didn't tarnish. Maybe it tarnished because I used Tamiya polish on it. I tried painting some sprues with it, and they came out looking pretty good.

So... most people recommend either BMF or Alclad II. But only rarely does anybody recommend Duplicolor chrome. Why is that?

I don't have any good examples, but here's a bad one: the sprue I mentioned: http://i148.photobuc...colorChrome.jpg

It's rough, but there was no undercoating or other surface prep. I've gotten smoother results on smaller pieces by undercoating with Alclad black base or Future.

I'm working on a Moebius '53 Hudson. I'm going to throw the dice and use Duplicolor over Future on the unchromed bits like the door handles and all that thin window trim.

I've already "detailed" the factory chrome bits by dipping them in Future tinted with black acrylic ink. They really look good.

When the Hudson is done, I'll upload photos of the completed model and you can judge for yourself.

Edited by Ddms

Ah yes, the old cost factor. Matt, if you break down the cost for this product, Spazstix Ultra Chrome and Alclad II by the ounce the price per ounce = This product 8.25

Ultra Chrome 6.50

Alclad II 6.00 range

The 8 oz bottles @ 89.00 are even cheaper @ less than 6.00 per ounce. My question was posed to see if anyone had any experience with this product. My purpose for it is two fold. I have a lot of chrome and bright work on my 1966 full size Mercury S55 convertible that is in dire shape. This may be a viable alternative to plating and thus save me money. I also would like to find an alternative to Alclad II and Ultra Chrome that can be clear coated.I think it would look great on models.

Jim, I will be purchasing the 4 oz supply in the near future. Yes, it pretty much states that it is an Alsacorp type product.

Did I miss something? By my calculator, $89 for 8 oz is over $11 per ounce. :wacko:

Actually, I think kit chrome looks pretty good, but ONLY IF it's "washed." I add acrylic ink from an art store to Future and dip the kit chrome pieces in it. A tissue is good for wicking off the excess.