Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

Hey - this sounds like fun and could give me the kick of actually getting something done.

I´ll be using the ´78 Firebird TA 3 in 1 from Revell and look for inspiration from Year one and the Firebird from "The Wraith".

Pictures will be posted later when taken.

Cheers

Soren

This sounds like a blast. Sign me up! No idea what I want to build yet but I have an idea. It involves 2 cars (separate entries but my story will tie both cars together). I'll have some pics of the kits, as well as my back story soon. Thanks to everyone who is participating and thanks to those running it!

Glad to hear it William. The Cannonball consistently pulls in some of the best builders and over all good folks. We've (knock wood) never had any sort of drama or hard feelings.

BTW, I'm in Tampa. Are you new to the area and are you involved with any of the local contests?

Glad to hear it William. The Cannonball consistently pulls in some of the best builders and over all good folks. We've (knock wood) never had any sort of drama or hard feelings. BTW, I'm in Tampa. Are you new to the area and are you involved with any of the local contests?
I've lived in Clearwater my whole life. Short story here, I used to build years ago. I competed at a local hobby shop's contest twice a year. I did pretty well but that was in the junior category. Fast forward to about a month ago- my uncle (who originally got me into building) moved down here from Jacksonville. He had me come out to his local model Club just to hang out. Well I got the fever for plastic again and here I am today. I'm not the greatest builder but I have fun building. So to me that is the most important. I've never had been involved in a community build like this so I look forward to having a lot of fun and seeing some awesome builds.

Well now that Christmas is over, which I hope everyone had a good one. I guess I can start thinking about my entry now. As soon I saw "unlimited" back on the voting thread I had the idea of a twin 426 Hemi hot/rat rod. The engines would be mounted long ways, chopped top with a few accessories. Try to make something sinister looking I've got most of the parts on hand to build and I haven’t come across anything like it yet in terms of models. But considering this is a cross country race one thing keeps coming back to bother me and that is the problem of fuel mileage. After some researching I've learned that on average they get about 7-12 mpg on a two carb intake. If both engines where running like that I would be stopping very often for gas. Which is not an effective to win the race.

So I had a few ideas on over coming this problem, I'm curious on all or your opinions on the car itself and the ideas below.

My first idea was to build a trailer with suspension that would house a secondary fuel tank. But then I read "Permanently fixed fuel tank that is not fully exposed." So my question is would a secondary tank inside on the trailer be allowed? I've seen a few rat rods locally that had beer kegs mounted to the back for fuel tanks out in the open so I was just curious. Either way I'm mostly likely going to build a trailer for it anyway I just thought I would ask about the extra fuel tank part.

My main idea for story purposes is to have both engines able to run but only have the back engine running all the time and a have a 2 piece adapter setup to connect the engines together along with a few quick links for the carb. Turn on the it’s fuel pump and it should be ready to go in about 20 minutes should I need the extra power.

Another would be single carbs on both engines limiting the power I shouldn‘t need a lot push this car.

A 5 or 6 speed tranny out of a viper or a vette or something.

If the tranny didn't pan out then taller gears in the back.

Or I could go with the cheap way and leave the front engine only being for show to conserve fuel mileage.

What do you guys think about it? Does it sound realistic or am I just speaking nonsense (cause I do a lot of that) :D

If this is more of building cars that race across the states and your looking at gas mileage and not getting caught by the cops, I guess I am going to have to withdraw myself. I actually thought this was more of a model build with some regulations in it, and that if it passed the prerequisites it was good to build. My Lincoln would pass all the specifications for the CBP but would definitley not be able to race across the country, and if that is part of the judging I would have no chance. Can someone please clarify this so I can start collecting things for my build or so I can not worry about this build at all. Thank you

If this is more of building cars that race across the states and your looking at gas mileage and not getting caught by the cops, I guess I am going to have to withdraw myself. I actually thought this was more of a model build with some regulations in it, and that if it passed the prerequisites it was good to build. My Lincoln would pass all the specifications for the CBP but would definitley not be able to race across the country, and if that is part of the judging I would have no chance. Can someone please clarify this so I can start collecting things for my build or so I can not worry about this build at all. Thank you

The Cannonball Run is a race across the US. Do all the entries make sense? No. Does that mean they are disqualified? No. The voting is done on the forum, so if everybody likes a model that might run out of gas or drive off the road, it still wins.

The point of the CB, though, is the Cannonball Run. The point is to think about what it would take to run a long distance the fastest - without getting arrested, or worse. So, while you could enter anything, the "spirit" is in the race.

Edited by Erik Smith

What do you guys think about it? Does it sound realistic or am I just speaking nonsense (cause I do a lot of that) :D

It's realistic. There have been multi-engine vehicles built. Does it make sense? I don't know. Everybody has their own idea on how to win the race. It would be a powerful car, for sure. Would it use a lot of gas? Heck yes. Would it be more difficult to keep two engines running he whole race? Maybe. Would it look cool and garner some votes because it had two Hemi engines? Undoubtedly.

So my verdict is: build the beast and let's see who wins!

My main idea for story purposes is to have both engines able to run but only have the back engine running all the time and a have a 2 piece adapter setup to connect the engines together along with a few quick links for the carb. Turn on the it’s fuel pump and it should be ready to go in about 20 minutes should I need the extra power.

Another would be single carbs on both engines limiting the power I shouldn‘t need a lot push this car.

A 5 or 6 speed tranny out of a viper or a vette or something.

If the tranny didn't pan out then taller gears in the back.

Or I could go with the cheap way and leave the front engine only being for show to conserve fuel mileage.

why not build it like a catamaran ?

basically build two hemi powered motorcycles that are connected with a frame in between them

maybe put a quicl release on one of them so that towards the very last stretch of the run you can pull the pins, drop 2/3rds of your ride and zoom to victory on a hemi powered motorcycle

The following is my thoughts only and not a rule here.

I like to keep things realistic. In my opinion, not only should this thing be fast as heck, but it should also be able to handle pretty well. Something with a trailer or is crazy heavy isn't going to carve any corners. If you can combine handling with a powerful engine and some extra fuel capacity, good on ya.

-------------------------------------------------------------

That being said, build whatever you would want to run cross country in, and feel could win. Period. That is the spirit of the Cannonball. If a unicycle with a radial engine and a propeller is your idea of a good time by all means build it. Every time we have done a peoples choice poll at the end, the better build has won, not the best designed Cannonballer. If that was the case, I would have won every time. :D

Every time we have done a peoples choice poll at the end, the better build has won, not the best designed Cannonballer. If that was the case, I would have won every time. :D

spoken like a true person who is about to get his entries tires slashed [insert evil laugh emoticon]

So my verdict is: build the beast and let's see who wins!

Alright, ya talked me into it.

why not build it like a catamaran ?

basically build two hemi powered motorcycles that are connected with a frame in between them

maybe put a quicl release on one of them so that towards the very last stretch of the run you can pull the pins, drop 2/3rds of your ride and zoom to victory on a hemi powered motorcycle

Well, that would be very interesting and fun, but I was never very good with bikes so that's out of my leage. lol

The following is my thoughts only and not a rule here.

I like to keep things realistic. In my opinion, not only should this thing be fast as heck, but it should also be able to handle pretty well. Something with a trailer or is crazy heavy isn't going to carve any corners. If you can combine handling with a powerful engine and some extra fuel capacity, good on ya.

-------------------------------------------------------------

That being said, build whatever you would want to run cross country in, and feel could win. Period. That is the spirit of the Cannonball. If a unicycle with a radial engine and a propeller is your idea of a good time by all means build it. Every time we have done a peoples choice poll at the end, the better build has won, not the best designed Cannonballer. If that was the case, I would have won every time. :D

Your words are wise as always, this whole thing is suppose to be for fun, I was over thinking it a bit and got carried away with typing. Alright I will just build something I could have alot of fun in and try not to dwell on the realistics of it too much as long as it's street legal right. Thanks man

I'm off to the desk for designs and planning, I'll have a pic of my entry later. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Alright, I think i am starting to understand. Let me see if I have this right. Build my Lincoln even if I have to get across the country a quarter mile at a time, build it the best I can, and slash everyone else's tires on the way. I think I can do that, I have an exacto.

Your guys got it now.

Alright, I think i am starting to understand. Let me see if I have this right. Build my Lincoln even if I have to get across the country a quarter mile at a time, build it the best I can, and slash everyone else's tires on the way. I think I can do that, I have an exacto.

Remind me to bring a spare set of tires (and my tires aren't cheap either, 315/35/17 front 335/35/17 rear)

Nick

as for prizes this year, Top 3 will get a Prize, Erik Smith has been extremely Generous and Donated a AMT Phantom Ford Econoline, and I have an AMT '32 Ford Phaeton and Revell '05 Impala Snap-police car.

Yes, you can.

However - and I don't want to quash any motivation - the whole point of joining a Cannonball Run Community build is so you can think about, research, brainstorm, and, ultimately, build a car that would perform well in a cross country race.

oh wow

im going for what ever spot gets the wrecker

and im working (sorry thinking) on my secret weapon

of course it wont be dont untill i start in january ;)

so...how do we look at cheating ?

i mean, if (and im just brainstorming here) i were to instal a trap door that drops nails behind me would that be frowned upon?

Hi gentlemen

I'd like to join in if I may. My entry will be a combination of these two kits:

002-20_zps2f5c9099.jpg

There must be zillions of modified Mustangs in the States, so I'm sure one more will go unnoticed by the boys in blue. As long as I don't have to drive across the Pacific to get there :lol:

Cheers

Paul