Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Street Community Build Project

1320wayne

O.K., so I started another thread to see if there would be any interest in this cbp. After reading some posts from another thread on cbp's I read some very good points mentioned from other builders and decided that, because I have a few upcoming build ideas for some Pro Street subjects (one to start now), that I would simply fire this CBP up with the idea to get anyone interested in joining in as they see fit.

The idea is to start it as of Jan. 1st 2013, with no finish date. If you are interested, join in as time permits, with as many builds as you choose. The ultimate goal is to see how many completed builds can be generated by the end of the year, even though there is no formal end date. At any given time, with enough completed builds available, I will activate a poll for people to vote for their favorite build, and provide some assorted resin parts as prize for the top vote getter. If we have enough participation, and completed builds, I could do this multiple times throughout the CBP.

The criteria. Your build must be a Pro Street subject, in the truest sense. Tubbed rear chassis/suspension, wide rear treaded tires, etc.. Any car/truck that you can think of to be given the Pro Street treatment is acceptable. Any powerplant. Any scale. No previously completed builds will be accepted for voting. If you wish to participate by showing any prior Pro Street builds that would be great. But for the sake of this cbp, and being eligible for voting, your build must either be a newly started build or no more than 25% previously completed. Please show your starting points and any progress along the way.

Thanks, and happy building.

allright, this will be my entry :AMT1966 ford fairlane GT/A (havent decided on a tranny yet) with the 390

i am only in the parts gathering stage so it may be a while before i actually start building

the engine will be the kit supplied 390 with hop up parts

on a side note, anyone have any hop up parts for this engine?

i chose this kit since it was the only one in my stash with a clean enough looking frame that will allow me my first try at tubbing

(come to think of it, i have tubbed one kit before, but that was a truck)

1356897007.jpg

1356896970.jpg

Nice choice on the Fairlane. I have seen this kit tubbed as a pro street build before and it has always looked good.

My list of pro street builds is as follows:

86' Charger, this is one that I have mocked up with a pro street chassis from a Revell pro street Corvette kit for many years now never having gone back to take it any further. I will have pics. up later today.

From there I plan to do a more involved pro street version of the Moebius 55 Chrysler.

Count me in also!! I'll start one as soon as I get my current project finished. That'll give me some time to think about what I want to build. ;) I have one that has been mocked up. Would that be cool Wayne?

Lower and faster ;)

but still sporting the stacks right ;)

in the mean time ive been looking at my fairlane kit and ive decided 2 things

1: this model will be rolling on spyder rims (wish i could tell you who cast these great resin pieces but alas, i dont pay attention)

2: she will be redubbed as a 1966 ford FASTLANE....now where did i leave those nitrous bottles?

Here is my starting point on build number 1.

I'm not sure of the year of this kit, it's somewhere between an 83 to an 86 model Dodge Charger. The chassis that the body is mocked up on is the pro street chassis from the Revell pro street Corvette kit that came out a short time after the Rick Dobbertin kit. It shares a lot of the same parts from that kit. The chassis fits under this body almost like it was meant to with very little adjustments needed. I haven't gotten very far with any plans as far as powerplant, paint scheme, etc.. That will all come with time.

DSCN0043-vi.jpg

DSCN0044-vi.jpg

DSCN0045-vi.jpg

Wayne- count me in- I'm just not sure what vehicle I'll be using or when I'll jump in.

I'm looking for 70's ford truck kit, anybody know of any kit's or resin bodys out there?

'67-72 body style, or '73-79 stylle? If you want the former, you could go with the R&R Vacuumcraft '72 (which isn't the best quality wise), or wait for the Moebius kits to come out later in the year. For the latter you could go with the AMT '79 F-350, though you'd have to do something about the long Camper Special-spec bed. Unless any Ford truck will do- you could also find the AMT Ford Courier, which would make a really nice little Pro Street hauler. There were a few different versions of that one- one with a stock long Styleside (wideside) bed, and one with an aftermarket Flareside bed- the Flareside version reissue from around 1995 seems to be the easiest and cheapest to find. Both the AMT F-350 and Courier kits have separate frames and multipiece beds, so back-halving and tubbing them shouldn't be a big deal.

quick little update

ive changed out the resin spyder for what i believe to be resin daisies

(they are skinnier up front which allows me to still fit inside the fenders without major modifications

im very excited about the way the spindels are on this kit

i will be able to flip them around and drop the front end by 3-4 scale inchers...all in less time then it will take me to trave a qaurter mile (which isnt very long at all)

Wayne- count me in- I'm just not sure what vehicle I'll be using or when I'll jump in.

'67-72 body style, or '73-79 stylle? If you want the former, you could go with the R&R Vacuumcraft '72 (which isn't the best quality wise), or wait for the Moebius kits to come out later in the year. For the latter you could go with the AMT '79 F-350, though you'd have to do something about the long Camper Special-spec bed. Unless any Ford truck will do- you could also find the AMT Ford Courier, which would make a really nice little Pro Street hauler. There were a few different versions of that one- one with a stock long Styleside (wideside) bed, and one with an aftermarket Flareside bed- the Flareside version reissue from around 1995 seems to be the easiest and cheapest to find. Both the AMT F-350 and Courier kits have separate frames and multipiece beds, so back-halving and tubbing them shouldn't be a big deal.

Cool, thx. for the Info Chuck.

Okay- think I've got something here...

ST001_zpsff631e49-vi.jpg

This would be Revell's 67 Malibu kit. The blower setup and drive belt are from the Revell '68 Corvette kit- these parts are a DIRECT swap for the Malibu's kit-based intake, FYI. I've also lowered the car a bit, but I'd say this thing is a long way from finished, much less 25% of the way there.

I just got a cool idea from your post Chuck and may build it later on. Take the '79 F-350 cab and modify a '53 flareside bed to go on the back of it. B) I'm almost done with my Comet project. So, hopefully I'll be getting in on this soon. I'll post photos of my project later or I may just go ahead and start on that F-150 project. ;)