Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1/25 Shelby Cobra 289 Roadster

Casey

I just happen to have one of the first Cobra's in my collection. I have included the box photo as well as the wheels.

firstcobra001.jpgfirstcobra002.jpg

I bought one of the reissues today. It does NOT include Kidney Bean Halibrands as shown in this picture. It does include the different style of Halibrands that AMT retooled for the recent reissue of the Studebaker Avanti kit. Sorry, I'm not sure of the proper name for those wheels. They are also similar to the wheels in the Revell Rat Rod '31 Model A sedan kit.

The reissue also includes a set of eight turned metal tall injector stacks for the drag version and some really nice new Goodyear Bluestreak slicks with tampo lettering and blue stripes.

^^^Those are NOT Halibrand wheels of any type. If they are labeled as such in the kit, they are a very poor representation.

While they are not 100% accurate to the 1:1 Halibrand manufactured wheels, they are pretty close, and were made by Halibrand. See posts #46 and #51 (penned by a fellow MCM member) here: http://www.jalopyjou...96&d=1228702552

Excellent source Casey-I see the discrepancy now. Those are bolt on wheels-never found on a Cobra. Avanti equipment. Text says they were available with pin drive adapters optionally. The surprising thing is that they were cast in Mg.

Can't tell if the bolt heads are on the model wheels you're showing.

Except for the crown at the center, they vaguely resemble Cobra FIA wheels, which were knockoff.

These are FIA wheels:

Picture019modIILarge-1.jpg

Excellent source Casey-I see the discrepancy now. Those are bolt on wheels-never found on a Cobra.

Which makes it even more puzzling why Round2 would include them in this 289 Cobra kit.

Don, are the knock-offs still included among the chrome parts?

Which makes it even more puzzling why Round2 would include them in this 289 Cobra kit.

Don, are the knock-offs still included among the chrome parts?

The kit includes the two-ear knock offs that are meant to be used with the "stock" wire wheels. The new kit includes three sets of wheels: The wire wheels, the so-so 5-spokes that have been in all the recent issues, and the "Avanti" Halibrands.

I have an original issue of the King Cobra. It didn't have the kidney-beans from the first issue Cobra either. It had two sets of wheels: The so-so 5-spokes and a set of deep-offset 10-spoke Shelby mags similar to those seen on the 1:1 green Shelby Mustang shown elsewhere in this thread. I haven't seen the 10-spokes in any other kits, but I don't have every issue of the AMT Cobra.

To answer the other question, the "Avanti" Halibrands do not have engraved lug nut details.

Edited by Don Sikora II

. . . and Darin comes through, thanks buddy. Too bad Round @ dropped the ball with their "new" wheel addition. Count me out.

Now don't count it out yet. The AMT 289 cobra can be built into a very nice model. To illustrate my point here is an old built up I picked up a couple of years ago at a swap meet. this is an excellent example of how models were built in the 1960's Aside from some scratch-built fender flares and some 60's era engine detailing this is box stock. the Kidney bean wheels are aren't in the current kit but are available in resin or in AMT's recent "Part Pack" with the allison engine.

IMG_1704-vi.jpg

IMG_1706-vi.jpg

IMG_1707-vi.jpg

IMG_1708-vi.jpg

IMG_1498-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Grabbed this kit the other day at Hobbytown, and I'm glad I did! Another great updated/improved reissue from Round2. I love the pad-printed blue line Good Year slicks and the restored vintage drag parts. And the custom "lucite" steering wheel! Should be a fun build.

I love the pad-printed blue line Good Year slicks and the restored vintage drag parts. And the custom "lucite" steering wheel! Should be a fun build.

I wouldn't mind seeing pics of those parts if you're willing, Matthew.

Grabbed this kit the other day at Hobbytown, and I'm glad I did! Another great updated/improved reissue from Round2. I love the pad-printed blue line Good Year slicks and the restored vintage drag parts. And the custom "lucite" steering wheel! Should be a fun build.

D'oh! I picked up the most recent release before this current kit at a show last month; it had none of those parts and NO decals...bummer. I'll still build it up into a nice shelf model that will take me back to being 10 years old again... :)

I wouldn't mind seeing pics of those parts if you're willing, Matthew.

I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, the slicks have a nice, thin blue line around the perimeter and small white "Good Year" markings. The "Lucite" steering wheel rim is on the clear parts sprue, and that mounts to a chromed 2-spoke hub.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up the new kit at the hobby shop. The body has been fixed at the front fenders and the new slicks are great. Mine came with the same Halibrand mags, that are in the new Avante reissue, not the kidney bean mags from the original release Cobra.

I was hoping for the original type wheels. The rest of the kit is nuce. Steve Prideaux

Historic Racing Miniatures also makes Halibrand Kidney Beans....a couple of versions, not sure of the differences though.

Kit's probably still worth picking up IMO, for the tires and velocity stacks. Disappointing about the wheels though.

Here is what HRM's KidneyBean Halibrand look like.

photo-vi.jpg

Edited by afx