Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Galaxie Ltd. '46 - '48 Chevrolet Aerosedan

MikeMc

This is an older kit (1998) although easy to get still.

I had seen this kit for a few years and until the JWAC was started I was leaning toward building the sedan delivery version of this kit.
It is a level 3.5 kit....the detail is un believable!!!
This plan changed as I drew the sedan version as my build in the JWAC! I found the plans online

If there is any interest shown here I will post a review of this kit here as I build "The Bomb"..Drawn by Jairus Watson.

47LowriderBomb_72-vi.jpg

Mike,

I just happen to have a how-to build article regarding the Chevy Aerosedan going to MCM this week! When it gets printed..... I have no idea, but if you want some tips and or tricks I can help you via PM until.

I would have posted this as a PM but a teaser on a future article is always fun eh? B)

011_1-vi.jpg

As for your how-to thread... I say GO FOR IT! I would love to point Gary Schmidt (man behind the Galaxie Aerosedans) to it and I will be very interested in seeing what you do to lower the model.

:P

(However, slight correction... the kit is no longer in production and is completely sold out!)

Edited by Jairus

I have this kit as well, looking forward to your how to Jaius, and yours as well Mike. Ed, if you have any photos of your friend's 48, please pm me, as I am planning a f/s version as well.

love to see when it is built.

i have this kit to, although i did start it and was going to be a lowrider. i painted in testors dusty rose pearl but i have since stripped off the paint as i wasn't happy with the finish. i have seen this and the delivery kit on express models site, for $30-$35.

i thought i was reading a different mag when i bought SA a few years back. this explains why i keep looking at my old copies of SAE all the time, being in the UK, i can't get these mags retail.

steve

Edited by doomcrew

Well seems like this thread has taken a very divergent path.

And I will continue that path by making this statement. Gary Schmidt started SAE because he is a model car guy. His workshop is huge and devoted to model cars. Even today he is building projects, attending club meetings and buying up new and old kits on ebay when the need arises. Gary was then and is now A MODEL CAR GUY! Not to mention a very good builder...

SAE was what we grew up with so to speak. Gregg and I both feel this and we each have written for the magazine in the past. When I started with Plastic Fanatic I never considered the two competitors and for a long time contributed to both! When Gregg purchased the mag from Roy he set out to make it better than SAE... and with the new and improved Model Cars Magazine he has succeeded! Today MCM is a direct competitor but back then... everyone who was anyone in the hobby had subscriptions to both magazines including me. I devoured both mags and considered both to enrich the hobby. Never considered one better than the other... just different.

That is why there is nothing wrong with talking about SAE here, especially the pre-Kalmbach era. I have a complete collection and still refer back to old issues. Gary might have spawned the direct competitor to MCM but he identifies with MCM more and has more in common with MCM than you can even imagine! Gregg and I have even stayed the night in his house and stayed up till all hours of the night talking about how to make MCM a better magazine and I don't even remember SAE coming up in the conversation other than a brief discussion about former editor Kirk Bell.

Mike, I think the word you are looking for is "Ironic". But I believe Gary reads this forum and what you guys post... he will most-likely see. :angry:

(P.S. there are more projects coming out of Galaxie....)

First off this is a 1/25 th scale kit molded in grey, with clear, red, and chrome trees, black rubber tires, decals,and metal embossed side trim.

Everything is in its own bag...the whitewalls are in one grey bag and the red taillights in the other. This is a level 3.5 kit with lots of small finely molded parts with little or no flash. The directions might be the weak link in this kit....but it is a 3.5 so most builders should have few issues and the last page does have some neat tips for this kit. According to Jarius They go together as well as a Fujimi or Tamiya kit since the same mold makers were involved. I can't wait to get this beauty on the bench...so keep watching!

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

Cant wait to see this come together. I have one that I was going to try something on, but I want to see what you do with yours. Who knows, you may spur a couple of builds off of this thread.

And Jarius, I for one cant wait to see your article. Glad you sent it in.

Mike

SENDING in... have not finished the layout yet on my article Mike. (silly)

What's wrong with the directions?

Color call-out I bet. Like you said, that is why the 3.5 skill level. This is not your fathers snap kit dude.... :angry:

I did the illustrations and tips at the end of the instructions working directly with Gary. We both figured most builders would know how the bits went together so we didn't want to insult anyone's intelligence by dumbing down the step by step. But everyone's a critic... :angry:

Sorry... okay, shutting up and watching intently your directions. Carry on!

Edited by Jairus

What's wrong with the directions?

Color call-out I bet. Like you said, that is why the 3.5 skill level. This is not your fathers snap kit dude.... smile.gif

I did the illustrations and tips at the end of the instructions working directly with Gary. We both figured most builders would know how the bits went together so we didn't want to insult anyone's intelligence by dumbing down the step by step.

For me no problem with the directions....for those that do snappers..they should not get this kit....color call out??? NOPE...

I am building a full on kickass lowrider , shaved, slammed and painted Tangelo Pearl....I will guess at the colors....laugh.giftongue.gif

Edited by MikeMc

Mike-O depending on how your buildin it, there are a coupla different ways ta go with that rascal. These particular year Chevy's gotta bit of history in my family, My Dad an just about ALL my Uncles had one! I bought a coupla them caz I liked them SO much!. The ONE I have started workin on has been Chopped, Not hard to do, an is rideing on a 68 El Camino Chassis, which in itself lowered it an gave it steerable wheels!The wheelbase is ALMOST spot on, an with just a LITTLE bit of fudgein, you can get both front an rear wheels centered pretty nicely in the wheelwells! It sure beats cuttin up the original chassis an substituting Monte Carlo parts,like was suggested in one of the articles about it. I THINK it was in Sa, but I'm not sure. Anyway, the Camino chassis is ALOT easier way to go,if ya wanna update it! Just a tip!biggrin.gifwink.gif

Mike-O depending on how your buildin it, there are a coupla different ways ta go with that rascal. These particular year Chevy's gotta bit of history in my family, My Dad an just about ALL my Uncles had one! I bought a coupla them caz I liked them SO much!. The ONE I have started workin on has been Chopped, Not hard to do, an is rideing on a 68 El Camino Chassis, which in itself lowered it an gave it steerable wheels!The wheelbase is ALMOST spot on, an with just a LITTLE bit of fudgein, you can get both front an rear wheels centered pretty nicely in the wheelwells! It sure beats cuttin up the original chassis an substituting Monte Carlo parts,like was suggested in one of the articles about it. I THINK it was in Sa, but I'm not sure. Anyway, the Camino chassis is ALOT easier way to go,if ya wanna update it! Just a tip!biggrin.gifwink.gif

That will be the next one...Jarius drew this baby....and thats the way it is!!!

in my opinion these kits are soo nice you almost feel bad painting and assembling them, does that make sense?

what i mean by that is that the moldings are so nice and its so well detailed that they are just beautiful in raw plastic. they don't have that fiddly nonsense that other similar detailed kits do, like the old Revell tri-5 Chevy's or even the Fujimi Enthusiast series kits. take the best Tamiya kit you have seen and multiply that by 10 wink.gif awesome engraved details and just the right amount of separate parts to get the job done better than anyone else ever has.

Dave

Total sense..it is that nice...and to think made in the USA in 1998!!!

I love this kit myself, probably one of the best kits ever engineered! I too have always liked the idea of a good builder starting on one of these, definitely would motivate me to do mine!!! :blink::rolleyes: The rolling chassis with the engine in place is a work of art in itself, probably the best way to display the model is exactly that, build a separate chassis and engine and display it with the finished one!! :blink::blink:

I've got 3 of the kits, plus a couple of the sedan deliveries. One of my Aerosedans is slated to be backdated to it's first version, the 1942--grille and trim change, then done as a December '41-January '42 "Blackout" version.

Art

It will be easy to do the '42 version, since the only real difference is that with the war going on there was no stainless available for the auto industry, & all of the "shiny" stuff was stamped in plain steel & painted in body color, (the original monochromatic paint?).

Edited by horsepower

It will be easy to do the '42 version, since the only real difference is that with the war going on there was no stainless available for the auto industry, & all of the "shiny" stuff was stamped in plain steel & painted in body color, (the original monochromatic paint?).

A bit more complicated, actually: The grille is different, twice the bars, each half as thick, and no, the body trim wasn't just painted body color, but rather one of several shades of grey, silver or tan, depending on the actual body color itself.

Art

I'm looking forward to watching this 'buildatorial' unfold, too.

I've got a couple of the kits in the warehouse, and I've been putting off and putting off a build ~~ shame on me.

I just enjoy pulling one out and gawking at the parts ... wow!

So, build on, dude! You've got our attention!

I love the Galaxie 48 Chevy kits. I have only ever had the Sedan Delivery though I have been looking for a copy of the Aerosedan. I hope they get reissued some day as I would like an Aerosedan and another shot at the Sedan Delivery. While the kits do have a lot of parts and a lot of detail, they are actually quite simple to build. The hood fit issues are actually the only thing that is keeping me from declaring that these kits are perfect. Literally, they are THAT good! A few years back, I had started my sedan delivery and painted it Model Master Lacquer (MML) Phoenecian Yellow but didn't really like the paint job so put it back away. Jairus came on here asking for photos of the built kit to run in a Galaxie ad in MCM. I pulled the kit out and took it from a painted body to a finished model in two days time. Sure it had a lot of parts but they all fit so perfectly that it was a snap to build the kit!

Here are some pictures...

2006OctoberTNMCCMeeting10-vi.jpg

2006May29th056-vi.jpg

Here is a whole album of pictures:

http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/individual_models/1947chevysedandelivery/#media

To this day, I consider it the best model I've ever built. It was also the 200th model I built, but that was a total coincidence, as I didn't discover that info out until I had finished three more models that week and typed them into my charts!

Edited by Billy Kingsley