Model Cars Magazine Forum

'84 Porsche 944 10/13/17 photo of 1:1 found

Foxer

It's been a bit since I last posted, but things are advancing. Leaving today for NJ to see grandkids, so will throw some photos up when I return. The body is in primer and the interior has dash fitted with one coat of paint. The wheels are done but haven't decided on how I'm going to mask and paint them. Maybe all these miles on the road will come up with a decision.

Thanks for the comments. :)

One thing I've noted on many of these kits is that most builders omit the somewhat ripply, body-colored coatings along the rocker panels and the rear wheel well stone guards.

You're right, Skip, but the 1984 I had didn't have that protection ,,, it was just smooth like the Testors body I'm using.

The Hasegawa Porsche 944 Turbo kit I'm using to build the 1991 S2 I had does have that protective coating molded in, as you can see below. It even has the smooth piece above the rough area protecting the rear fender from chips.

Thanks for noting this little piece of 944 history! :)

944S2 wing DSC 1224

EDIT: I found a photo of my 944 and it did have the stone guards, also looks like the rocker bumpy material.

Edited by Foxer

My '84 had them. I'm surprised yours didn't. But your picture of the kit body is perfect.

I don't have any photos of my '84 but looking at all the photos I see, it must have had the smooth rock chip protectors. Maybe I can trace the ones on the Hasegawa and transfer to some very thin sheet.

The rough stuff plastered to the bottom edge I know wasn't there. I also realized I will need to even out the bottom edge between wheel wells that are actually molded to the frame,

This is starting to be worst than updating a VW Beetle! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Just have a shot of the chip guards I added with .005" sheet. They were simple to make ... drawn on tape ... and look good. Glad you guys brought this up! :)

Work on the interior and the other 944 has been continuing, but not much to show.

flare protector DSC 1330

flare protector DSC 1331

Edited by Foxer

Thanks for the comments! :)

I don't like mentioning something without any photos, so here's a mockup of the interior ... with the 8' 2x4's it often carried.Embossing powder carpeting needs painting as does rest of interior.

interior DSC 1333

Edited by Foxer

• 1 month later...

I had to take a break to get the paint off and wait for some fresh paint to arrive, but, hopefully, I'll get back to it in the new year. I also acquired a Pershing Missile model ( my Army gun!) and that's been taking my attention, but that's too long a project to take away from the 944's. I'm making a New Years Resolution to complete these!

Edited by Foxer

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...