Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truckster's, The Next Generation!

Virgil's build up has inspired me to mockup one of my own so....

truckmockup-vi.jpg

Cab is a '53 Ford F100 that has been sectioned horizontally and vertically to reduce it's mass. Unfortunately I cut off the windshield posts and now it has lost it's character. Looks like a blob.... bummer!

Well, I have another junk box '53 body here where I think I'll pull the windshield frame and put it back on this body but laid back some for a more sleek look. Not sure if I want to go with exposed welds yet.

The bed is a the back quarter panels of a '57 Ford over a Model "T" pickup bed. Frame is "32 and the wheels and axles are from who knows where. (Think the fronts are new Revell...) I have yet to "Z" the front rails and will do so here to show anyone interested, how it is suppose to be done.

The truck is still sitting too high for my purposes but I like the rake. Bed will be attached to the cab after I am happy with it as it still needs work.

Power is to be a Caddy motor from '59 including the Automatic with either 3 Deuce carbs for induction or...

supercharger-vi.jpg

Cool huh? B)

Oh man, J, this is going to be a real treat, and yes, please use this thread to catalogue and archive all the building details . . .you are off to a great start . . . so, I will have a healthy supply of popcorn to eat and watch you build this sick puppy. It's going to be a real treat!!!

You think that's neat here are a couple more that were sent to me by Robin via email. Both are built by Robin NOT ME! But I am posting them here to show what else is going on. I asked Robin to join MCM Forums so he can continue the builds here. He lives in the Atlanta area.

The first looks like the '37 Ford from the article.

100_0498-vi.jpg

This one looks just a lot like mine other than the pie cut section. He was smart and left the windshield posts... see how much better it looks?

I think he is attempting the third and final rod from the Sketchpad article. Wow, first time all three images inspired builds!

100_0500-vi.jpg

Oh yeah, now that's what I'm talking about, this is the kind of thread that's going to be around for a long time and get a lot of attention, and hopefully inspire lots of builds . . . which then I hope we'll see all over the shows . . . long live the TRUCKSTERS!!!!

Keep the great eye candy coming . . . it does look a lot cooler with the tail fins and the windshield posts, no doubt about it . . . very cool.

I don't have a lot of free time to build anymore... but that said, :D I took an hour lunch and cut a new windshield frame and added a '29 Model A pickup bed to mix. The donor '59 Caddy motor is in place (barely hanging there) but a grill design continues to elude me for some reason. The '32 Frame came from a prior unfinished Revell Highboy project which I had lengthened 1/4" for a Ferrari Daytona motor. The frame fits this projects needs perfectly but needs some-sort of frame stiffening for the heavier '53 cab.

windshield-vi.jpg

Next up: Rear axle and then "Z" the front rails to get the stance set. Stay tuned to this same bat time and same bat channel.... :D

Personally, I think you are possessed! You have the fever, Jarius . . . you better call the doctor and hope Ted Nugent doesn't show up at your house . . . wait, that's Cat's Scratch Fever, not Styrene Fever!!! :D:D:lol:

Keep it going, buddy . . . you are on a mission from a higher calling!

Alright Ken, I will consider it. Got that stupid Edsel that I "dip painted" a few issues ago.... I am trying to strip the paint off and maybe use that. Wish I had the photoetch grille set... but maybe something will come to me.

James had some good ideas too regarding vacuum forming over the '32 grill shell, but we shall have to see what fate brings in the way of inspiration.

Dennis, I was thinking about a Duval windshield but with the stock windshield posts removed the body is unrecognizable as a '53 Ford Pickup. So the stock windshield went back on. However I liked your idea about the grill and cut this from a stock Edsel (what the heck am I going to do with three Edsel kits anyway?).

grill-vi.jpg

I like the tacked together look and lack of body work just like a kid from the mid 50's may have put together using parts and pieces from the local wrecking yard. Headlights might go in the grill space on either side of the central vertical grill shell.

Of course it will get lower when I finalize the rear suspension and "Z" the front rails.

B)

Okay gang,

I am here. Jairus invited me to join the forum. I know a lot of you from the show circuit, you know me as the displays for you guy and as of this last year many of you have purchased resin diorama parts and pieces from me at the shows. When you see me vending at the shows I carry Larry's resin parts and Nibor's hot rod shop parts.

Jairus's sketch pad drawings always trip my trigger and over the years I have built several.

As of the last issue of the mag I have been working on a couple of the trucksters. The ones he posted for me today are the 37 Ford and the 53 Ford, A buddy of mine up north has been working on the 50 Chevy and he and I have conspired to add one to the pile. He is working on a 41 Chevy truckster as well. I am kinda hoping that Jairus will do me a sketch with the 41. I haven't actually asked him yet, so if you see him before I do please relay my request.

Anyway I am from the Nashville, Tennessee area. That is sort of the Atlanta area. It is only about 4 1/2 hours away, if that counts.

If you are interested in me keeping you up on progress reports of these truckster builds, I will be glad to do that. I just need someone to tell me how to post pictures to this forum. (If youknowwhatImean)

Hollar back

Robin

Patience young padiwan... I am working as I type.

I had a change of heart on the use of a Caddy powerplant (I think) and finally found the perfect set of wheels and tires to use for this project.

Unfortunately I had to work late, as you guessed, and then.... eat as I no longer have someone to cook for me that took too long as usual.

Just going to have to wait my friend because as I said... "do not hold your breath"!

;)

My middle name is Grasshopper! ;) I will wait and be patient but eventually you will have to cough up some eye candy for your fans!

Cooking does take time, but also think about how nourishment will keep you young, healthy, and wise--AND more importantly, give you lots of energy to keep building.

You know it doesn't surprise me you've changed your mind on some of these elements on this build because like the best builders, you are one partsbox scavenger if there was ever one!!!

And I mean that with the utmost respect and sincerity!

"Z-ing" a frame is the process of 'stepping' the front or rear portion of the frame so that the suspension mounting areas are moved up from the stock location, which lowers the vehicle relative to frame rail height. Instead of having frame rails that run straight back horizontally, they now step up in front and/or in back to place the suspension components higher than before.

This illustration is a crude example. The cutting at an angle allows plenty of welding area and with most "Z-ing", the "boxing" of the frame rails is normal.

Zing-vi.jpg

The frame before:

frame1-vi.jpg

And the frame after:

frame2-vi.jpg

Any questions? ;)

Ryan, the wheels are not going into this build as I was using them just for the mockup. I have no idea where they came from but I have a little baggy full of them from various kits like the Roth "Road Agent" and AMT's '33 Willys "Yellow Fever", etc.

Ok here is the next mockup.

I bet you are getting tired of this but.... this is how I design my cars.

Every change made, I put it all together to see how everything looks in-order to check rake, stance and proportion. Stance and proportion are EVERYTHING weather you are designing a Toyota or a Rat!!! I check and re-check constantly and .... sometimes, if I don't like what I see... it goes into the box, never to be finished. The one thing I notice with these pic's is that the windshield frame really needs to be chopped!

truckmockup2-vi.jpg

truckmockup3-vi.jpg

truckmockup4-vi.jpg

Maybe tomorrow... ;)

Jairus, that's looking great. I love the information on Z-ing the frame, but wonder why you are doing it so close to the front suspension? I find it very interesting indeed . . . I'm amazed that you got it to go lower by simply only Z-ing the front end of the frame . . .

Keep it going, buddy . . . heck NO we're not bored or tired of looking over your shoulder!!! :rolleyes:

V,

I did the frame “Z†toward the front axle because I wanted to lower the motor... you'll just have to wait and see ;) Next step is getting the front and rear suspension together and the stance of the frame correct. But right now I got to get back to work.

As for posting pictures of my workbench, I normally wouldn't do this but since this is the second time you asked...

This is my studio! It's not as big as I would like but works for me at this time. The rest of the house is kept as "model car" free as possible so it can be a normal home for the kids. However there are lots more piles of ###### being stored in the Garage and a nice collection of vintage kits in my bedroom.

The model bench...

P1011362-vi.jpg

The drawing board...

P1011364-vi.jpg

The computer...

P1011365-vi.jpg

More ###### and 8-tracks...

One of the clocks is set for Western Australia time where a friend of mine lives.

P1011367-vi.jpg

The surfboard...

P1011363-vi.jpg

SWEET!

Now, that's what I'm talking about . . . I love to see where the builders get their inspiration and work flow from. I really appreciate it, J . . . your generous spirit!

Man, you've got a whole paint rack--that's awsome!!! ;);):P

Edited by DamnCranky