Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truckster's, The Next Generation!

A tank engine in a street rod will always get me out of lurking!

That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. Nice scratching there!

If I may, I want to second putting it in the back. Seems a simple in and out box could solve the trannie problem. Hook that straight into the real axle. Hmmm, maybe one of the old 2 speed rear axles, if you need to change more gears.

It would look like a twisted continental kit on the rear, would fit along the theme it's taking...

Well Tim, I am on the fence with that decision. Half of me wants to leave it where a normal engine would reside because that is how a kid would think... Either way, a bit of engineering is required to connect the engine and rear axle.

On the other hand.... the heavier rear axle and suspension upgrades make a rear placement more logical. Also, that is the way it was located in the Stuart Tank...

Hangin off the rear huh? :lol:

Well, J--it sounds like you've got your work cut out for you . . . in terms of making a decision . . . not that it should be up for a vote, or anything. It is your build and I think whatever you opt for is still going to look pretty sick . . . killer, as I like to say . . .

I think the kid you are talking about would have read the mags of the time, like Rod & Custom, etc . . . or belonged to a club where his buddies would have ran the same questions by him, and given him suggestions . . . at the end of the day, it's still his decision . . .

How's that for waffling? :D:rolleyes::lol:

J--I hope you remember to discuss the issue of pinning along the way . . . not trying to nag you about it or anything, but it's such an important part of this build, in particular with that big engine . . . regardless of where you end up putting it: front or back . . . :D

Man, those are some gorgeous pictures, J--pure eye candy, as I see it . . . . you seem to be really deep into the character of this dude who would put together such a monster . . . and all you logic behind his build is solid . . . personally, my preference would be to keep this engine . . . but I also see how it just might not fit in given the nature of your concerns about it . . .

It also reminds me of one of your illustrations of a car with an airplane engine and propeller in the back . . . from a few years ago . . . would this tank engine not be better on a heavier vehicle, or in the rear of a vehicle . . . closer to the cab . . . .

Just ideas . . . in any case, you are making some amazing progress here . . .

That drawing inspired me to build this. I used a pre-painted kit and added a parts pack allison engine. Notice that the springs have broken down from the weight of the engine just like the real thing would have.

DSC00551-vi.jpg

DSC00552-vi.jpg

Patience Grasshopper!

All will be revealed in soon when the sun has set 4 more times .

Today I am working on articles for Model Cars Magazine so no playing with models right now.

(However, I did work for a couple of hours on the Truckster last night and made a decision! This is going to look sooooo cool ... updates posted later)

Whomever designed that Chrysler is NUTS! :angry:

Nice build!

Yeah, yeah, THAT'S IT!!! That's the one I remembered. Great job . . . very cool . . . It's builds like these that put smiles on our faces!!!

Patience is my middle, name Swammi Master Zen Jairus . . . and though I cannot take the pebble from your hand just yet, I will sooner or later! :angry:

What Grandmaster Truckster Funkster J doesn't know is that as we follow along we are all building the same creature . . . this is like watching that Bob What'sHisName? The tv artist who painted those landscapes and the old folks followed along . . .yeah, that's what we are going.

This could easily be a show . . .

BUILDING TRUCKSTERS (ONE DAY AT A TIME) WITH YOUR FRIEND JAIRUS WATSON!

J--I really like the name of Ghost Rod . . . but also, if you look around some of those WWII tanks, the guys would often give them interesting names, just like the airplanes . . . and one of those might work too . . .

Like Demolisher, etc . . . this thing is going to be wild for sure . . . I can feel it. :blink::P:P

That pic looks hinky to me!

Too many pipes.

How does the transmission connect to the axles?

Where are the rear suspension springs located?

Blower is driven by one little "V" belt?

Heads are mounted backwards.

:lol:

There are too many pipes for sure. I do see TWO little V-belts driving the blower, and the drive could be done by flipping the rear-end, although this one looks like chain drive. The whole thing reminds me of a VW though! :rolleyes:

Edited by dub

I know it looks a little funny. He actually modified one he had earlier. It did run. I believe it had a Tornado transaxle and torsion bars. There are a lot of trick little pieces on this. I can post a front, and the prior version if you would like. And like mentioned earlier, just imagine it with a tank motor!

I know it looks a little funny. He actually modified one he had earlier. It did run. I believe it had a Tornado transaxle and torsion bars. There are a lot of trick little pieces on this. I can post a front, and the prior version if you would like. And like mentioned earlier, just imagine it with a tank motor!

I would love to see more shots of this one. What's that big black thing near the left front tire? It appears to be too large for a headlight. If it is what's he using?

More pictures is good . . . I have been doing a little reading into Rod & Customs from the 60s and it seems it was rather populer to put a VW engine in the back of some of these hot rods . . . but it's hard to tell if it was only an "after" idea behind the dunne buggies of the period . . .

I wish I took more pictures. He shows up every year @ the Goodguys show here. Here is the front, and yes, those are the headlights. He is due for a change though, so I don't know what he will end up with next year.

100_1329.jpg

Ok, just to add to the confusion, I see half leaf springs holding up the rear.

The transmission may have been an Eldorado. I just remember it was a front wheel drive Cadilac.

I can't find the other pics from when the motor was in the front. I will have to scan the photos again. Imagine a track T with no nose, hood or even radiator for that matter. He ran the coolant through the frame rails to the rear where he mounted a radiator under the louvered turtle back. Both versions were one seaters. As you can see, he sectioned and narrowed it. The previous version had an uptop that he had to remove just to get in. The windows were only like 3" tall. I will look tonight for those photos.

Edited by mikelo

First, sorry about the poor pics. B&W photos don't scan real well and I couldn't find the color ones, but you get the idea. Here's a creative photo tip, next time you go to a big car show, try taking a roll of B&W film with you. Oh wait, digital cameras don't use film. Anyway, I actually got some neat photos of cars doing this (I was trying to finish off a roll). Anyway, here is the before picture, and yes, it does look like that motor could fit under a hood with a couple of changes.

lilthing1.jpg

lilthing2.jpg