Model Cars Magazine Forum

chevy titan 90 stretched 10/1/14

I did my 1st as a daycab, shortened it to a 2 axle and slammed it on the ground. I still have it, and wow what a hack job i did. But back then i thought awesome. What a difference my skills are now compared to then, almost 20 years ago.

i know looking back on the past years my skills have really improved....i think that being on the forum has helped quite a bit

Hey James I saw you're having some trouble deciding on your striping.

Here's a link to a thread on here that shows paint schemes and if you

Scroll down far enough there are some pics of Astros and their factory

Paint layouts. Hope this helps. This is looking good so far buddy.

Good luck and keep building!

Edited by freightshaker

Hey James I saw you're having some trouble deciding on your striping.

Here's a link to a thread on here that shows paint schemes and if you

Scroll down far enough there are some pics of Astros and their factory

Paint layouts. Hope this helps. This is looking good so far buddy.

Good luck and keep building!

thanks but where is the link

Mirrors, wipers, signals are great "starter" projects for scratch building. A little plastic and wire. Cost of learning and inevitable failed attempts before finally pulling it off is tolerable.

I use cheap "chrome" tape that works real well for mirror faces. Certainly not perfect, but was in much the same boat on my Aero Astro project. Not a show winner, but it will pass arms length scrutiny which is better than the city dump. I put some blurbs on that thread if you want to go with the full fender skirts, big grille, etc. For the front "bowtie", consider just "printing" one from a jpg off the net on some thick paper and trimming it. Cutting out that bowtie that small from plastic (for me at least) and to get proportioned correctly despite measuring is very challenging to say the least.

With regards to the front axle pins and parts, look in the area of Hobby Lobby where they have all the stuff to make jewelry and necklaces. I think you could find something that would work. Just look for the shapes you need within the bigger pieces. You know, like a dangling charm that will spin around designed to thread on a necklace rope.. A large fishing line swivel might work too. Often times a whack with a blade or nippers and presto!. Think outside the box.

Good luck!

Mirrors, wipers, signals are great "starter" projects for scratch building. A little plastic and wire. Cost of learning and inevitable failed attempts before finally pulling it off is tolerable.

I use cheap "chrome" tape that works real well for mirror faces. Certainly not perfect, but was in much the same boat on my Aero Astro project. Not a show winner, but it will pass arms length scrutiny which is better than the city dump. I put some blurbs on that thread if you want to go with the full fender skirts, big grille, etc. For the front "bowtie", consider just "printing" one from a jpg off the net on some thick paper and trimming it. Cutting out that bowtie that small from plastic (for me at least) and to get proportioned correctly despite measuring is very challenging to say the least.

With regards to the front axle pins and parts, look in the area of Hobby Lobby where they have all the stuff to make jewelry and necklaces. I think you could find something that would work. Just look for the shapes you need within the bigger pieces. You know, like a dangling charm that will spin around designed to thread on a necklace rope.. A large fishing line swivel might work too. Often times a whack with a blade or nippers and presto!. Think outside the box.

Good luck!

thanks...all i gave left is to glue in all the final bits stab the motor into the frame then it should be mostly done...i just got an italeri pete 377 and it looks complicated

The italeri kit is a bit tough the 1st go at it. But it goes together pretty well, and close to how the factory does it. Its more of a skill 2.5.

The colors look good on this. Itll be good lookin cabover when you get it done

thanks...there is a major size difference between the two trucks