Model Cars Magazine Forum

Youtube Modelers?

I spent time with another forum before moving over here and it seemed like everyone does a YouTube video. It can get to the point where it's like no one is able to write about their work and just show good photos.

Doc does it right. Use the video format to inform and entertain. Think out what you want to get across and use an outline or even a script. Have a clean, seperate space for your model videos with good lighting and a decent camera. Set things up and try to not mess with the zoom or move the camera during filming. Use a tripod. (My other hobby is photography) I flip the switch if I can't see what the heck is going on. You don't want your viewers jumping out, there is a lot of other stuff out on the Net for distraction these days. Above all watch the clock. Don't let things run on and on. Very few of Virgil's videos run over 10 minutes. Even that's a bit long.

Good luck and have fun.

Dale

I spent time with another forum before moving over here and it seemed like everyone does a YouTube video. It can get to the point where it's like no one is able to write about their work and just show good photos.

Doc does it right. Use the video format to inform and entertain. Think out what you want to get across and use an outline or even a script. Have a clean, seperate space for your model videos with good lighting and a decent camera. Set things up and try to not mess with the zoom or move the camera during filming. Use a tripod. (My other hobby is photography) I flip the switch if I can't see what the heck is going on. You don't want your viewers jumping out, there is a lot of other stuff out on the Net for distraction these days. Above all watch the clock. Don't let things run on and on. Very few of Virgil's videos run over 10 minutes. Even that's a bit long.

Good luck and have fun.

Dale

Thanks for the tips!

I already bought a tripod before a started this so tha is in the bag. I use an Iphone 5 for the filming(not the best quality but i don''t want to buy a camera at this point). And you are right about the length. But sometimes you have to to get it over to the vieuwer in the correct way. But i hope people will appriciate what I am doing. And if you have any other suggestions bring em on!

The key in Mike's statement is producers. If people doing YouTube videos thought of themselves as producers and spent the required time preping and producing their stuff then YouTube would actually be worth something. I have a background in design and graphics and a Fine Arts Degree in Photography from Ohio University. I roomed with some people in the film program and they agonized over the details that seem to slip through the fingers of many of the YouTube folks.

Film is a craft. Treat it as such.

Dale

Dale, I agree with you. I think photographing models and making videos can bring the builder to another level of enjoyment. I know it works for me and I've been trying to get the quality of the vids to be better.

For the beginner it could be daunting with quite a few expenses when you think about getting a better camera, sound, music, etc . . . but I say everyone has to get started sometime somewhere.

YouTube always makes me feel like I am able to watch over the builder's shoulders, etc . . .

Having said that, I don't think it's for everyone. My best advice is if it is not your cup of tea, then don't make any investment in doing it. Put all your resources into getting a better camera for those pictures you will eventually share, say like on this forum.

Having said that, I don't think it's for everyone. My best advice is if it is not your cup of tea, then don't make any investment in doing it. Put all your resources into getting a better camera for those pictures you will eventually share, say like on this forum.

The doc is right! I'm not into making movies about my style or way of building I'm saving up for a better camera. It may seem dumb just got into this internet thing about 2 years ago it says to join these vidio things on youtube what does it cost,I would rather spend my $$$$$$$$$$$$ on models

Bob, if I remember correctly what got me motivated to take better pictures of my models was being in a forum like this one where folks wanted to see better glimpses of the work. I will forever be grateful to a whole bunch of friends here who answered my questions about equipment, etc . . . and slowly over a period of years I started to get better. It's part of the process now.

I cannot think of building a model without thinking of how I am going to photograph it and play with it.

Thanks Doc that is what I'm doing I've been build for about 30 years been in clubs contest etc. But I now live in a very small town everybody out here is in to hunting, fishing ,snowmoblies etc including my wife! I'm not that is why I joined this fourm good friends advise like yours :D and a place to show off my works B) I just don't understand this youtube stuff what does it cost to join I want to see more better ideas more friends . Moving to small town was my choice better job and fresh air

Finding one of Docs videos by accident is what got me into this hobby and doing my own channel on youtube . Doc is one of my main inspirations to the reasoning I even got into this hobby. I will forever owe Dr. Cranky a huge thank you for ever even inspiring me to want to get into this great hobby.

I agree with everyone that the video needs to be concise. I have a channel also, showing how-to's, and each video is getting shorter and quicker to the point. For the new videoographers(?), look it at like a science project. State the objective first, show the steps to reach the objective and then summarize it. Don't waste time giving part numbers or web addresses because you can edit the video within YouTube to display those items in text on the screen, just where you mention it.

I love to see each person's 'secret' tips on how they do something to make it quicker or easier to build their models.

Thanks, Deron. I think it's forums like this one and possibly an ever-widening YOUTUBE model building community that is going to inspire future generations. I think it's both thrilling and spooky to think that those videos (and all these posts) will be around long after we are gone. Hope they serve to keep people building models and miniatures.

I got into Doc's videos by dumb luck searching kit reviews and subscribed when I got back into styrene this past year. I even subscribed to his magazine and bought a shirt to help out because I like the video style and the entertainment while teaching me new techiniques.

Another favorite of mine is ClassicPlastic101. He has amazing talent for any type of model. Cars, sci fi, figures, he can do it all, and does it all well. He doesn't compete with his models according to him, but if he did, he'd take home a lot of trophies. He's also very personable and takes time to talk to people on his FB page and help everyone else out.

The channels I watch most are the ones where the modeler interacts with the viewers. Doc replies to things, Chris of ClassicPlastic101 replies and talks. If they just post videos to see their own stuff online and read compliments, I stop watching after a bit.