Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dehydrator Question

I'm sure Bill will chip in when he sees this and Marc may have already beat me to it, but here goes.....

The Nesco American Harvest is what I use. I got it at Mal-Wart for about $45 a few months ago. It was the only one the two stores in my town carry and,

neither one had any in stock on my first trip. Other stores would have been OK for multiple trips, but I hate that place..... Sorry for the rant..... The dehydrator

has a thermostat on the top and mine stays at 105F always as per Bill's advice. I did modify one tray by cutting out some of the webbing to fit bodies in

it. The trays are close together when in use normally. I need to get a few extras so I can make a few with no tray webbing at all to fit bigger parts in. Another

use I have thought about is for spray can guys to heat the cans in it too. I'm a little apprehensive, but the can's labels state no heat over 120F. That's 15F

lower, why not? Don't hesitate to get one if you think it's a good idea. It was the best $45 I've spent on the hobby yet, hands down.

HTH! :P

Ditto to what Marc and Jonathan said! I've had my Nesco for about 2 years now and have had zero trouble with it.

If they don't sell a Nesco one in your area........please make sure whatever one you get has an adjustable temp! This is important especially for resin which doesn't like being heated up any more than 105°. :o

Getting extra trays are a good bet too for those taller models such as trucks and whatnot. :P I've cut the webbing out of mine with a dremel tool and cutting wheel.

I'll follow suit, American Harvest by Nesco is what sits in my hobby room. I do exactly the same things everyone else does. 105 degrees, cut out the trays and buy extras.

Here's mine as reference:

dehyd1-vi.jpg

dehyd2-vi.jpg

It definitely speeds up the paint process.

Chris