Model Cars Magazine Forum

Arrangements for the inevitable

Im sure mine will end up in the dumpster!......AGAIN!!!

I have what is left of my dads oldies thankfully...someday Ill get them all restored/repaired once I am able to find the parts they need. In the end they and mine will go to others so there around for a long time to come. Before any go into a dumpster they would have a good home here...too many just toss them out...I look at it as saving some plastic history if nothing else.

I'm really sorry for what you face. You're right, and it's just another thing to cope with as you face much greater issues. Leaving family especially kids is awful. Please know you and family are in our thoughts and prayers. Recover from your surgery, and I hope it is an early stage, no mets, and treatment responsive. Please PM me anytime, have been there with wife and now me. All the best for all of you. You can do it.

Lee

Thanks very much Lee, it is a battle mate but one I'm not about to give up on. I've had most of my liver removed, my gallbladder and a few other small bits and pieces, I have an appointment next week to discuss starting my chemo.

It's a long way from over but hopefully I'm here for the long haul.

Cheers and thanks again.

Rob

Thanks very much Lee, it is a battle mate but one I'm not about to give up on. I've had most of my liver removed, my gallbladder and a few other small bits and pieces, I have an appointment next week to discuss starting my chemo.

It's a long way from over but hopefully I'm here for the long haul.

Cheers and thanks again.

Rob

Same from me Rob...talk/message me anytime buddy...hang tough.

Considering I have several "collections" I should probably decide what to do with them before I go so my wife and family are prepared. My son has never shown much interest in building models so to think he would want them is wrong. My wife has gone to a few shows/swap meets and has an idea of what to do but maybe if I gave her instructions she would do well.

The sad thing is that despite what I have invested in my collections, having to liquidate them will deliver a fraction of what they are worth. Like others have mentioned, selling my collection to a local hobby shop is not an option as they have gone away.

If you have a big collection, sell them all now or anytime before you die. Then put all that money in a savings account. If you want, pretend eBay is YOUR personal stash, only you have to pay storage fees. Then, when you want to get a kit from "storage", pay for it on eBay from the savings account. Chances are, you will have a lot more money and less pressure on your family to rid a garage or storage room of all those models.

Plus, you can constantly post about all the kits you "have" "in storage".

Edited by Erik Smith

If you have a big collection, sell them all now or anytime before you die. Then put all that money in a savings account. If you want, pretend eBay is YOUR personal stash, only you have to pay storage fees. Then, when you want to get a kit from "storage", pay for it on eBay from the savings account. Chances are, you will have a lot more money and less pressure on your family to rid a garage or storage room of all those models.

Plus, you can constantly post about all the kits you "have" "in storage".

Exactly, great way to look at it. I've thinned mine out and kept the things I can see myself building in the next 5 years. Makes it easier for the wife to sort through should the worst happen.

The problem I've seen is when someone dies, someone gets in early while the widow isn't thinking straight and offers her a ridiculously low figure and cleans out the whole lot and resells them for their actual worth. At least if you thin them out while you're still around you can get what they're worth or a fair amount instead of your wife getting ripped off and getting $2 a kit.

Interesting question, and one that I have actually seriously pondered.

Not my "stash" of unbuilt kits, which is very small and of no real value to anyone, but my completed models... in which I have thousands of hours invested. I would hate to think that my models would be sold off in some sort of "estate sale" for pennies. I'd like to think that they are worth a lot more than that, if not dollar-wise, at least sentimentally to my kids.

If I was to pass on, I know my kids would be very respectful of my "stuff," but I don't know exactly what they would do with it. I'm sure they have no idea what they would do with it,

Something to think about...

OK how about your models, your friends and relatives, and a box of firecrackers, and let nature take its course. seems like a fitting wake to me, have fun with the toys one last time. I would certainly be smiling looking down (or up) at the scene.

jb

Not my "stash" of unbuilt kits, which is very small and of no real value to anyone, but my completed models... in which I have thousands of hours invested. I would hate to think that my models would be sold off in some sort of "estate sale" for pennies. I'd like to think that they are worth a lot more than that, if not dollar-wise, at least sentimentally to my kids.

If I was to pass on, I know my kids would be very respectful of my "stuff," but I don't know exactly what they would do with it. I'm sure they have no idea what they would do with it,

Definitely a more difficult decision. Many built kits don't have a lot of resale value, even if built very well. I have considered just giving them away to family and friends before passing on...

Also, I don't know about "burdening" my kids with my models - they might feel obligated to keep them even if I wouldn't be offended if they got rid of them.

Edited by Erik Smith

Our club recently held an auction of things built and collected buy a beloved member. One close friend of his coordinated the sale to other modellers eventually liquidating the model collection. I think a few final items were auctioned off at meetings. I think this is what I will have done with mine when I leave this mortal coil.

well, kind of thought not my problem.... But daughter in law doesn't like me and said it all goes in a dumpster so I'm working on another plan. Will be watching here for ideas and useful guidance.

That is just what I was talking about Muncie....pains me that no one would care to have them knowing they had meant so much to you or others. I had a friend pass a long time ago his family was going to just toss them in a dumpster with his other stuff....I intervened...still have every one of them and repaired them just like he had them and his extra parts,supplies help keep me and the disabled builders group going. There is always another answer to someones estate to keep things from being wasted and make someone else happy.

Edited by disabled modeler

Some great ideas being tossed around here.

Donating them to a local ( or even a non local ) model club would be my 1st choice once my decendants pick what they wish to keep ,if any . I wondered about cash value of my stash,,,,and I think maybe 90% would have very little cashout value. BUT,,, I tend to think the other 10% is quite high and I would value as much if not more then the other 90% . .I'll have to let my wife know which is which . Hopefully my family doesnt have to deal with it anytime soon

And to those here dealing with health issues today. ,,keep your chin up and fight . Additude makes world of difference ...... I will keep you all in my thoughts .

I've been on the sorting end of several non modeler estates. There is no more unsettling experience like cleaning out the homes of loved ones that have passed. My father had a lot of old audio and camera equipment, including a foot locker full of old audio brochures and magazines from the 1950s-60s. Relatives would have dumped the whole thing in the paper recycling, but I felt those were important to him, that he saved them all those years and through many moves. So I sought out people who would enjoy them. It was therapeutic to me as well. Like a piece of my father was still out there. I also feel the same way about modeling friends who have passed away. I do have a few builds done by those friends that populate one of my display cases. I enjoy having those and protecting them.

On another board, a younger guy died a few years ago and his friends distributed his unfinished projects to people who knew him. It was very cool to see those all finished as a tribute to him.

Harry, your stuff might have some real monetary value. We're not talking Dodge Chargers or 57 Chevies. Meticulously built models of niche subject matter draw pretty good prices on ebay. Your survivors might do well to sell what they don't want. Your association with the magazine also gives you perhaps a little higher profile that could be reflected in the prices they could get.

That is just what I was talking about Muncie....pains me that no one would care to have them knowing they had meant so much to you or others. I had a friend pass a long time ago his family was going to just toss them in a dumpster with his other stuff....I intervened...still have every one of them and repaired them just like he had them and his extra parts,supplies help keep me and the disabled builders group going. There is always another answer to someones estate to keep things from being wasted and make someone else happy.

Glad you said it better - would hate to see D-i-L trash something that somebody else would enjoy. Wouldn't even mind it going to some of the dealers that I know because at least it would be re-distributed.

Our club recently held an auction of things built and collected buy a beloved member. One close friend of his coordinated the sale to other modellers eventually liquidating the model collection. I think a few final items were auctioned off at meetings. I think this is what I will have done with mine when I leave this mortal coil.

I've thought about the same thing since joining AMG

Glad you said it better - would hate to see D-i-L trash something that somebody else would enjoy. Wouldn't even mind it going to some of the dealers that I know because at least it would be re-distributed.

Me... Ill have my late friends stuff till my time is up...then friends and family will have them...till then Ill have a small little museum with them.

Edited by disabled modeler