Model Cars Magazine Forum

LIONS DRAG STRIP "OPEN"

3men2s

• 2 weeks later...

It's Christmas Eve and getting down to the wire. Starting to have doubts on finishing this, but will keep plugging as time allows. I have to get off my typical detail binge as it approaches completion ... that may be how I manage to procrastinate and never finish! :lol:

It still needs seat belts fabricated (PE and blue belt material),

The engine mounts fabricated today and paint drying, Engine locked (taped) in place to receive mounts,

The blower blow-off cover screws are partially fabricated and shouldn't take too long now that a few are fabricated and the method is down. They are being made from some cast bolts wrapped with very fine wire for springs. I'm taking some artistic liberty and only using 4 blots instead of th e6 commonly used. (I have to leave SOMETHING for the parts counters to find!)

Steering rods need to be fabricated. At least the front spindles are on so these can be sized.

Headers are still up in the air. Couldn't locate and zoomies and all the headers I have won't look right if I cut and modify them. I think it will be aluminum tube straight ones. At least they have a chance to get done and the "crudeness" will be appropriate for this local shop build.

The fuel line connectors are all made and painted so they should go well once the engine is bolted in place.

The body got a notch cut in the cowl to clear the magneto since it was painted. Another coat is almost dry and ready for decals! It cut into the cowl vent so some weld beads were added to that to secure it. :blink: The paint is being left "rough" as if it was painted in a less than perfect environment in the back of the gas station shop. (how's THAT for an excuse for some orange peel?) ;)

Other small things like the parachute, steering wheel and some washes for contrast just waiting for everything above.

Hmmm.. it always looks longer when it's spelled out... oh well .. ehhe

XMassEve_DSC3444.jpg

Edited by Foxer

(I made a separate post of this to get a wider audience for help, but adding it here for completeness of this thread)

The boys down at the local Sunoco station just got too excited building this comp coupe to run out on the left coast at the last run at Lion's and measured only ONCE! The engine is set too far back when matching the bell housing to have the rear header clear the body. It looks like at least a 1/4" interference. The headers will be straight zoomies tilted back.

The obvious solution is to move the engine forward at least a 1/4" which is no problem as far as fitting to the frame. The space between the firewall/bell housing will become a problem as far as looking correct. I don't believe it's practical to move the bell housing at this late stage. Maybe attach the bell housing from the original engine will make it look "ok". This is a Competition Parts Pack engine and the housing is here.

The rear header is pretty much in line with the magneto.

It's also possible to notch the body and paint at this point, though this may just look TOO funky.

So, I'm reaching out to any ideas however funky they may be. :rolleyes:

HeaderClearance_DSC3460.jpg

HeaderClearance_DSC3462.jpg

I see that wire coming down on me. Blower blow-off valve has it springs, Seat belts need a couple more ends and headers as good as done. Headers ended up short ones tucked down and will clear body.

The new show shopper is the decal paper I got is bad stuff. They blurred when printed so I'm turning the house upside down to find the piece left from last sheet I used. :D

blow-offValve_DSC3486.jpg

blow-offValve_DSC3482.jpg

hello all........i made this don garlits "explosion" 1/16 scale diorama last year.......so i am not qualified to enter the contest......but i would like to share it with all of you for my luv of the famous lions drag strip......i started with a revell don garlits rear engine kit as a donor......added don himself in the drivers seat......scratch built body panels using aluminum sheets......using the famous black and white photo for reference .....wired and plumbed......h.o.k. black.....white rub on letters.......a lot of great builds for the contest.....good luck everyone......thank`s for letting me share,john

DSCF5303.jpg

DSCF5309.jpg

DSCF5295-1.jpg

DSCF5296-1.jpg

DSCF5299-1.jpg

Well, I have to hand it to the boys at Vin’s Sunoco as they made a valiant effort, but it’s a no show. They even worked on the coup in the trailer during the trip west, but the powers that be just wouldn’t come together. They made it to the Lion’s pits and were left standing on the sidelines. It is still a tribute to the spirit of Lions Drag Strip as it’s what racing is all about!

The topper was the decals as everyone in the area quit early to get liquidated for the coming New Year. The fuel lines needed other things done first, so they are still in the tool box.. The steering rods are also in the box as they interfere with other installations.

At least no one minded some photos of the beast at rest as the Bud was popped and the boys sat to watch the Ball drop in NY on the B&W pit TV.

Happy New Year to all!

Dec31_DSC3500.jpg

Dec31_DSC3501.jpg

Dec31_DSC3506.jpg

Dec31_DSC3509.jpg

VOICE COMING OUT OF INTERCOME.......

"RACE FANS....HOPE YOU R ENJOYING THE RACES AT LYONS

IN THIS HISTORIC DAY......WEL WE GOT A SURPRISE FOR YOU

WE JUST HAD A CALL FROM TWO HOT RODDERS THAT COULD NOT

MAKE IT TO QUALIFYING...BUT THAT THEY ARE ON THEIR WAY HERE

SO.......FOR THE LAST RACE WE WILL LIKE TO PRESENT TO YOU

AN EXIBITION MATCH BETWEEN

FOXER'S SUNOCO DRAGSTER VS BERNARD KRON "ARDUN MERC" SPECIAL

WE WILL BE HERE TILL THEY LINE UP AND FOR THE LAST TIME LAY A FINAL LAYER

OF RUBBER IN THIS DRAG RACING HISTORICAL BATTLE FIELD.

AND THEN WE WILL CLOSE THE GATE FOR EVER........

ehehe .. I AM working it and will finish. ... waiting on new decals sheets ...

I'm hoping Bernard is ok ..haven't seen him around since he said would be back middle of Dec to finish the dragster.

Edited by Foxer