Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project: "Inferno" 49 Merc - *Update p17* 3/13/15

JasonFL

l see a custom to this extent as a trailer queen, which means you don't need plates. But if you DO wanna drive it you could use magnets & stick it anywhere on the back~

Haha...no such thing bart, if it were up to me I would drive everything but thanks for the compliment. Good point about the magnets, I could just throw it in the rear window if need be.

That's 2 for no plate

I like everything you've done so far .. nice bodywork! The trunk line and hood change are subtle but oh so good!

The flames will be spectacular! Do show by step how you create them.

The exhaust is a great idea ... I think it could spread a bit .. just enough for that license plate. This SHOULD be driving on the street!! :)

Edited by Foxer

Looks great so far.

Personally, I think the rear of the car will appear more balanced with the bumper halves being shorter (also happening to give you room for a plate). I'd definitely try to keep the trunk clear of clutter, so I'd avoid recessing the plate there. You're going to have a lot going on, visually, with those flames, so I think the less is more approach will pay off large on this one.

I say, if it's a driver, recess the plate somewhere else. It it's meant to be a trailer queen, either ditch the plate or stick it in the back window.

Thanks Ken. It will be a driver so I'm still not sure what to do. Maybe throw it in the back window

Edited by JasonFL

I like everything you've done so far .. nice bodywork! The trunk line and hood change are subtle but oh so good!

The flames will be spectacular! Do show by step how you create them.

The exhaust is a great idea ... I think it could spread a bit .. just enough for that license plate. This SHOULD be driving on the street!! :)

Thanks a lot Mike. I'll be sure to show steps, I've never masked flames that small. Should be fun...haha. It will be a driver, still not sure about the plate, maybe back window.

I am loving this one, Good redesign of the hood and trunk. I also like the door lines by the A pilar. Good luck on that flame job, VERY difficult tape work! Love that exhaust. Check out my Merc too.

Thanks Erik. Tape work should be lots o fun...haha. I'll look for your merc

This is awesome! I love seeing a fresh rendition on this kit! Keep up the good work!

Thanks Greg.

You could recess a license plate housing into the trunk...

I thought about it but I didn't want to mess the flow of the trunk. Still not sure yet

Looks great so far.

Personally, I think the rear of the car will appear more balanced with the bumper halves being shorter (also happening to give you room for a plate). I'd definitely try to keep the trunk clear of clutter, so I'd avoid recessing the plate there. You're going to have a lot going on, visually, with those flames, so I think the less is more approach will pay off large on this one.

Thanks Chris. I may widen them out a bit, not sure. Thats what I was thinking, I didn't want to much on the trunk.

I believe the rear license plate needs to be lit. Putting it in the rear window would not be legal.

Clearly, you have never been to Kentucky. :lol: (JK) There are a lot of us that have trucks who just stick the license plate inside the back window so, we can put it down in our cleaning totes at shows. It keeps us from having to put license plate frames on the roll pan or tailgate. There is no "rearmost" panel law in Kentucky for plates.

You are right about the flip down plate though. They are pretty cool. Also, I knew a guy who had a trailer hitch receiver under the roll pan with a detachable bracket for his license plate so he could take it off easily at shows.

Edited by Skydime

I believe the rear license plate needs to be lit. Putting it in the rear window would not be legal. How about one of flip plates? You start the vehicle and the plate folds down?

That is very true Jim but I think with hot roding and customization there are a lot of laws being broken...hahaha. The flip plate and the pop up plates mini truckers use on the bed of their trucks are very cool and clean, but I think that's a little out of my build expertise. I was think of frenching it but I'm even a little worried to attempt that.

Did some work on the front suspension. I heated the lower control arms with some hot water and carefully bent them up. Had to remove some of the backing plate on the spindle to really get it up there.

DSCN6228.jpg

DSCN6234.jpg

I ended up having to remove more so I just removed the whole thing

DSCN6231.jpg

DSCN6240.jpg

But as you can see with the lower control arms being so high I'm getting a lot of camber. Doesn't show much with the wheel, that was just kinda sitting on there.

DSCN6241.jpg

Edited by JasonFL

With all the camber I was having clearance issues with the fender so I made a relief cut on the backside of the spindles, and carefully pulled them forward then filled it.

DSCN6258.jpg

I made some smaller backing plates out of the numbers off an old parts tree and then smoothed it all out.

DSCN6255.jpg

DSCN6262.jpg

DSCN6265.jpg

DSCN6266.jpg

I like this method of lowering the front. I did something similar to mine. This thing is moving right along.

Thanks Ken. This was the first time I've done the front like this. I'm also doing the rear notches for the first time, I'll post photos soon. So far everything is good. How did you go about doing your front?

I actually cut the piece out that you replaced, omitted the coils (mine's just a shelf model), and clamped it together with clothes pins while the glue dried. The lake pipes barely clear a piece of paper in the front. Now I have true Ford negative camber. :P

In the back, I carefully prenotched a slight bit out of the frame and then used a similar pinch and glue method to simulate dearched leaf springs. Fair warning, these frames aren't much so, if you aren't 100 percent comfortable, don't even try it on the frame you are gonna use. A spare would be handy for practice.

If I as going to show mine off, I would have found a way to add some airbags under it. Axle to frame would be one heck of a bad ride in real life. :blink:

Edited by Skydime