Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wow, this can't be good. New NASCAR points rules.

Greg Myers

I don't understand, why bother running 43 cars, if it goes to 16, then down to 4, why not send the rest home, by the time you get

to homestead, there will be only 4 cars running, Like if your 17 to 43, Hell why not save money and stay home,,

I use to go to 4-6 races a year, stopped that 5 yrs ago, Now i cann't stand to watch it on TV anymore..

Look at the grandstands,, thats tells it all... empty

I don't see this helping an already fan unfriendly sport. Get rid of the Chase, go back to original points system, and make the drivers and the sport as a whole more fan friendly. I'll stick to drag racing, although it has become a corporate nightmare EVERY ticket is a pit pass giving you a chance to meet your favorite driver. In nascar you buy an over priced ticket for a good seat and then have to buy an over priced ticket to get a pit pass.

Actually, as a sports car and open wheel fan first, I must say I also watch NASCAR as well. Just a family tradition.

To me, the new format of winner take all is a step towards the Sports Car Club of America Runoffs format. It is a one race winner take all for the Amateur championship in different classes in the SCCA. Paul Newman said screw the Oscars as he clutched his first National Championship. He knew how hard he'd worked and raced to win it. Money helps but he was a respected racer by the pros he raced against.

I have been to one Runoffs while a member of the SCCA in 1991 and later watched the races where they could be found. Sure miss the old Speedvision. My case is that the Runoffs is the most exciting 3 days of racing in motorsports. Emulating an element of that format makes me think that the last race will be as exciting as any NASCAR race they've ever put on. Go to the bank on it, it'll be all people will be talking about next November.

Actually, as a sports car and open wheel fan first, I must say I also watch NASCAR as well. Just a family tradition.

To me, the new format of winner take all is a step towards the Sports Car Club of America Runoffs format. It is a one race winner take all for the Amateur championship in different classes in the SCCA. Paul Newman said screw the Oscars as he clutched his first National Championship. He knew how hard he'd worked and raced to win it. Money helps but he was a respected racer by the pros he raced against.

I have been to one Runoffs while a member of the SCCA in 1991 and later watched the races where they could be found. Sure miss the old Speedvision. My case is that the Runoffs is the most exciting 3 days of racing in motorsports. Emulating an element of that format makes me think that the last race will be as exciting as any NASCAR race they've ever put on. Go to the bank on it, it'll be all people will be talking about next November.

If I am understanding you, the winner takes all is over the course of three days, if that is the case, that is prefect, but we are talking about a 10 month long, 36 points paying races, but the winner takes all just makes the 35 races pointless for the most part, the best driver/team over the course of 35 races may not be champion, and is that the point of a champion?, the best of the best .

I am sort of liking the new idea, but its the winner takes all that I dont, they are tying to fix problems by creating more gimmicks instead of actually fixing the problems, which the product, and that is boring single file racing, with race cars that are too bloody fast to race, if King Brian France would pull is head out is rear end, and make the racing better, then he wouldnt have to come up with stupid ways to crown a champion. But the other issue is he is a stick and ball guy, and feels that NASCAR should follow suite, so

Sorry to confuse you but there's only one race per class. Qualifying races during the week determine the starting order. It just takes 3 days to go through all of the different classes. I think there's about 25. Each class has a final race. It is 19 laps and man, you've never seen close, edge of your seat racing anywhere. Can't wait to see it..

I'm a longtime (since the '70s) fan and I'm not impressed. It is supposed to be about endurance and consistency. I do not like the trend toward shorter races and I did not like the original chase format. Jonathan is right, this makes the first 26 races "pointless" (pun intended). I think we're going to see more reckless behavior on the track as wins are all that matter. The teams now spend millions to be the corporate billboard with the most camera time, so I guess the race itself doesn't really matter. :( Can a driver winning a championship under these rules really compare themselves to a Yarborough or an Earnhardt? I think not.

The first reaction I had was this bites. But after reviewing the procedure. You still have to make the chase. 16 drivers that are in the chase, for the first 3 races, must win to stay in. The winners of those 3 races are locked into the next round, along with the top points racers to complete the field and 3 more races, with a points reset. Then another round of eliminations. Looks like this will create more "rubbin" to assure a shot at the next round. That is what Nascar is trying to do to attract more fans,

If this format had been in place last year, Matt Kenseth would have been the champ.

I would really like to see it go back to the most wins=champ, like the days of Petty, Yarbourgh, and Pearson.

Still going to watch because any format would be better than no racing at all.

I just don't think people think before complaining, I bet that most everyone that is complaining about the "winner take all" deal is busy getting ready for the Super Bowl, same deal NASCAR is going to,you work all season to make the chase/playoffs, then work your way to the championship,only big difference is that you don't need to win the finale just be the highest finisher of the four left in the playoff.

I think you meant Dale Jr and or Autsin Dillon, well, that would make more sense

No. seen far too much of Nascars catering to Gibb over the last few years, especially after Tony left. Especially with the illegal parts infractions that got handwaved through. I suppose you might be onto something with Dillon, but if Nascar really wanted Junior to be the champion, it would have happened already.

there is something wrong with a different champ with different rules it should be concise with no question as to who is the champ at the end .

Big Bill France is spinning in his grave cursing Brian for screwing up the money making machine that he built up over the years. I'll stick to endurance and road racing thanks.

I guess that all those that think this would be a big deal to Big Bill think about the three different sets of rules that were used to determine the champion while he was still in charge. The one that was still in use in the early'70s saw a champ determined by the amount of laps finished yep,finished not led think you'd like that one better?

I guess that all those that think this would be a big deal to Big Bill think about the three different sets of rules that were used to determine the champion while he was still in charge. The one that was still in use in the early'70s saw a champ determined by the amount of laps finished yep,finished not led think you'd like that one better?

Point taken. I just wish that they would make up their minds how they want to do it, instead of changing things every year simply because the same team seems to winning them all or the teams(s) predicted to be the "odds on favorite" fail to win it.

Point taken. I just wish that they would make up their minds how they want to do it, instead of changing things every year simply because the same team seems to winning them all or the teams(s) predicted to be the "odds on favorite" fail to win it.

They want to do it the way it makes them the most money. The brass at NASCAR have dreams of Junior or Austin Dillon winning the 500 and the championship, I'm sure