Model Cars Magazine Forum

Inexpensive detailing tips?

Hello,

I am getting back into car modeling and was just wondering what some of your favorite tips/tricks for detailing models might be?

I know a lot of great photoetched parts are available and they are great, but I'd like to know what some of your "re-purposed" tips might be? I recently saw one modeler take the factory alternator pulleys and wrap wire around their edges to make the belt look like it sat deep into the pulley when painted and it looked great! I just went to my local Michael's and picked up some 26 and 28 gauge beading wire to use for fuel lines and brake line.

Any tips or tricks you'd like to share for other creative uses of materials for detailing?

Thanks,
Jed

The model building basics are the best low cost detailing tips. It's surprising how many models you see that are otherwise well built but there are visible seams where parts were glued together and visible mold lines. The mold line on the radiator header and across the radiator cap bothers me the most. It's visible front and center if the hood is open. Filling seams and sanding off the mold parting lines makes all the difference.

Another good tip is to take the shine off of the tires. Especially true of hot rods or race cars that are open wheeled. The tread can be sanded with a fine grit. If the rest of the tire needs to be de-glossed, it can be coated with a clear flat (or semi-gloss) acrylic or just scrubbed with a cleansing powder like Comet.

It's important to just pay attention to the overall appearance of a model to get rid of the "toy" look.

30 gauge wrapping wire from Radio Shack I use for ignition wire if you can find a RS that still sells that sort of thing.

RS is no more. The final day was the end of last month.

I used wire for hanging pictures. I also bought a multi color pack of small jewelry wire from Hobby Lobby. Check around craft stores, drug stores, makeup sections and other odd places. I bought some nail polish that was clearance at a beauty shop a few weeks back.

• 4 weeks later...

RS is no more. The final day was the end of last month.

I used wire for hanging pictures. I also bought a multi color pack of small jewelry wire from Hobby Lobby. Check around craft stores, drug stores, makeup sections and other odd places. I bought some nail polish that was clearance at a beauty shop a few weeks back.

RS isn't "gone" they only close selected stores...... My local one is still open and I had questioned them if the whole sha-bang was going out of business, and no, they told me only selected stores.

I buy 30 gauge red and blue wire for plug wires there, 50 feet, for $3 and change. I WISHED I could find BLACK in a roll that big or more! :angry:

Old Computers.......... LOADED. the old "Mouse" that has a roller ball not elliptical, the wire, has 4 coated wires various colors per manufacturer but are good for a lot of things. OLD Computer monitor cables too! LOADED!

Telephone wire is also good for this if you want wire to be a "special" color under the hood, as they have what looks to be transparent coatings on them in a model car!

Model car sprue can be used for all sorts of things! -I make distributor caps, shocks, axle pins, (IF thick enough diameter) actual rear ends with the factory pumpkin drilled to fit the sprue through it to make longer ones OR repair broken ones.

Old clothing! Makes GREAT head-liners!

Micheal's Gel Pens called "Gelly Roll" in white, GREAT for white lettering on tires! -$1.99 each!

Old junk power packs that don't work for what they were built for, makes GREAT source of wire used on about any place on a model car needing detail wire, hose, or the like.

OLD plastic signs like "for Sale" or "Garage Sale" signs are a GREAT source of styrene..... (I got a TON of it!)

Super glue with a dash of baking soda is a great "filler", and can be sanded not 2 seconds after the super glue has had the baking soda applied to it!

Yard sale "toys" specially for those guy that like to "raise" the stance of their cars or trucks, is a good way to find rather LARGE tires for such! Toys in general, really, I got a couple that are dang near 1/25th scale..... out of a junk shop 5 cars, cost my $1.50 for all of them!

Dollar Tree stores "craft" area, has floral supplies in it, (locally) golden colored Aluminum floral "wrap" 6 feet for a buck, makes GREAT exhaust pipes! (Look at my Father & Son build, that completed truck frame has this as the exhaust pipes easy to bend, and its a buck!)

Straight pins bent to fit in radiator core supports for hood supports!