Model Cars Magazine Forum

---> MPC's 1971 Road Runner

1972coronet

** If this Is Moved to Its "Proper" Forum , Please Inform Me **

Rhetorical question here ; who'd like to see this kit reissued by Round2 ?

MPC71RR.jpg

More-so , as a "4-in-1" , which would include not only the 1971 version , but the parts from the 1972 annual as well !

The only work the builder would *have* to perform would be replacing the 1971's side markers with the generic 1972 lenses .

The prices on this kit ( and its 1972 successor , as well as its 1987 modified-reissue ) are ridiculous at best ; and being that I don't have a buck-forty to spend on a kit (let alone my 1:1 car !) , I think that a retro-reissue would be in order .

The building options would be virtually endless , from a stock '71 383 R.R. , to a 440 Six Barrel , to a 1972 phantom Superbird , and any-thing in-between !

I'd probably get another one...though I have 4 of the original issue, 2 of the '80s reissue, the original '71 GTX and the '72 RR in my stash. One of the '80s ones I'm planning on kitbashing w/ the modern-tool AMT '71 Charger for the chassis, engine compartment, etc. I love the '60s-70s MPC Mopies.

Why re-issue it? It's not 1984 anymore... It's 2012... We have computers & surely a NEW tool would be in order? It a Mopar so of course I'd be interested... But only for a new tool version... Not another ###### re-issue.

Dan

Actually,

I'd probably get another one...though I have 4 of the original issue, 2 of the '80s reissue, the original '71 GTX and the '72 RR in my stash. One of the '80s ones I'm planning on kitbashing w/ the modern-tool AMT '71 Charger for the chassis, engine compartment, etc. I love the '60s-70s MPC Mopies.

Rob's on the right track here! Why couldn't Round 2 do something with this kit like AMT/ERTL did with the '70 Cornet back in the 90's (and still sell this way) where they stuck one of the newer B-Body kit chassis and drivetrain in with the vintage body and interior pieces to make one kit. I'd be interested in buying one of those kits anyway, but doing the above would make it even more worthwhile of a purchase for me!

Now that is a Road Runner done right , Sport Suburban !!

I've always loved the 1972-1974 blue engine / orange air cleaner combo .

A new tooling from Revell-Monogram would be nice ... Again , with parts to build either a '71 or a '72 and with the phantom Superbird parts !

To the nay-sayers : If these kits are so "undesirable" in scale as well as in 1:1 , then why are the old MPC kits going for such outrageous prices on ebay ??? If no one wants theirs , I'll gladly take 'em off your hands for $5 a piece !

If these kits are so "undesirable" in scale as well as in 1:1 , then why are the old MPC kits going for such outrageous prices on ebay ??? If no one wants theirs , I'll gladly take 'em off your hands for $5 a piece !

I never said it was undesirable, it just doesn't have the popularity the earlier 68-70 B-body cars do. And I'm not saying an all new tool to do one would be a loosing proposition for model manufacturers.

But an all new tool of say a 1970 Road runner would be a better money maker

I never said it was undesirable, it just doesn't have the popularity the earlier 68-70 B-body cars do. And I'm not saying an all new tool to do one would be a loosing proposition for model manufacturers.

But an all new tool of say a 1970 Road runner would be a better money maker

i have to agree with you. the 71 and up runners dont have the appeal the 68-70 ones do. i have a few of these, if i was into more stock builds i would love to build a 72. would LOVE a 1/25 70 runner, but thats another post.

I agree that an all-new '68-'70 Plymouth B-Body needs to be done . The AMT kits of the '68 & '69 R.R. / GTX are so-so (never did like the way they did the battery ...) , and that Monogram '70 GTX-come-'70 R.R. is mediocre . While the R.R. is an improvement over the original GTX kit , it still has those lingering antiquities of its Monogram roots ( blobs for carbs ; the toothpick-thin exhaust ; the exhaust being moulded to the axle / rear suspension assembly ; and those ridiculous looking tyres ) .

I'm still 1) No vulgar language or "fake" vulgar language (as in #&@$$!#$!!). Offensive language is completely unacceptable. about the cancellation of the 1968 Coronet R/T that RC2 / Electric Bugaloo was going to produce prior to their collapse ... *sigh*

• 2 weeks later...

I also built the original 71 MPC kit, using the new 72 Charger chassis. They went together very smootly and made for a very nice kit. Honestly, I wouldn't buy a repop of any old kit. I'd buy the parts or original issue when they come up and kitbash them with something new to make a more detailed product.

post-10507-0-51415500-1348666620_thumb.j

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Dan may be on to something- was the tooling modified to make the '74 GTX?

The tooling for this kit has been through several changes IIRC, but the MPC '74 "Daisy's Roadrunner" is the most recent iteration. I doubt many people would mind too much if Round2 had promoted the '74 as a "One Run of Fun" release, then backdated everything to '71 specs and reissued that kit. I guess we'll see what happens with the forthcoming '71 Dodge Demon kit, and how well the old body and new chassis work together, as the '71 Charger R/T's would be a huge upgrade over the current MPC '71-'74 B-body chassis.