Model Cars Magazine Forum

What type of silicone?

I'd like to start casting some small parts, and eventually a whole body in a two-piece mold.

Can anyone recommend which silicone to use? I see hardness numbers and other data that prompts me to ask - what works for you?

Thanks,

Lou

I like the Micro-Mark silicone that mixes at a 1 to 1 ratio. I used to use the Alumilite product that comes in their starter kits and it mixes at 10 to 1 by weight. There were a few disasters with that stuff. It's probably a fine silicone if you work in a high precision measurement mode but that's not me. 1 to 1 is the way to go! I've never had a problem since I switched. BTW, I've never attempted a body - just small parts as needed for a particular project.

I use Silicones Inc. GI-1000. It is sold all over the country and is the rubber of choice for most resin casters. It is durable, flexible. Try agoogle search for suppliers or look in the yellow pages for foundry or pattern making supply houses. My local distributor packs it in 10# and 50# kits. A 10# will give you enough rubber for two average size bodies or 1 body and molds for all the extra parts.