Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tennessee model car clubs

I found this information on an IPMS calendar for 2012.

3/24/2012 Tennessee

Knoxville

Region 3 Smoky Mountain Mini-Con btn_www.gif

University of Tennessee, Ellington Plant Sciences Building

2431 Center Drive Map

IPMS Knoxville

Mike Driskill 865-789-2368

I would appreciate it if you would let us know here of your results.

Edited by sjordan2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey up in Murfreesboro (Near Nashville) we have an IPMS club that meets the first monday of every month.Here is the link.http://www.ipmsmiddl...om/meetings.php Mostly military but there are about 4 or 5 car guys there.Nice club, been going for about two years now.

hey thanks for the link , I'll be working in smyrna by january,

Here's more information about the Knoxville and Maryville clubs from Mike Driskill...

Our club here in Knoxville welcomes all kinds of modelers. That being said, while we have a few "car guys" in our club, in all honesty most of our members are aircraft, armor, or figure builders. Official name of our group is Knoxville Scale Modelers Association (KSMA). We are an IPMS-chartered club since 1975. We meet the second Tuesday of each month at the HobbyTown shop in the Turkey Creek shopping area on the west side of Knoxville.

The main car club in our area is the "Sick Puppies Auto Modelers" (SPAM) in nearby Maryville, Tennessee. They are quite active and meet monthly, I believe at the Hobby Lobby store there. Their guys have helped judge the car categories at our annual contest for many years. Unfortunately, try as I might, I don't seem to have any current contact info for them.

SPAM's president for a long time was Monty Lowans, quite a nice gent and a well-known and accomplished modeler. But I know he has had some health problems, and don't know if he is still doing that job. Hopefully you can find info on the club in one of the car modeling web sites or magazines that maintains a list of clubs.

Good luck--sorry I can't be more help, but let me know if I can do anything else.

Mike Driskill

NOTE: (Sick Puppies Auto Modelers) still meet at Hobby Lobby in Maryville, TN on the third Saturday of each month from 10-12. Call Hobby Lobby to confirm.

Edited by sjordan2

• 11 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

@slusher - I'm not sure how far you are from Memphis but there is a club in Cordova (https://ipmsu28.wildapricot.org/Sys/PublicProfile/61160544/5598330).  I moved away from that area about 9 years ago.  I've just gotten back into modeling in the past few years so unfortunately I never attended a club meeting in Memphis.

The crazy thing is one of my old neighbors is now into modeling and goes to this club.  He got back into the hobby about the same time I did.  I never knew we shared that same interest.

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2023 at 8:28 AM, Bbo1974 said:

@slusher - I'm not sure how far you are from Memphis but there is a club in Cordova (https://ipmsu28.wildapricot.org/Sys/PublicProfile/61160544/5598330).  I moved away from that area about 9 years ago.  I've just gotten back into modeling in the past few years so unfortunately I never attended a club meeting in Memphis.

The crazy thing is one of my old neighbors is now into modeling and goes to this club.  He got back into the hobby about the same time I did.  I never knew we shared that same interest.

I am over a 100 miles from Memphis …