Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody have info on 1/24 scale slot drags

Brian Nehring

I'm intrested in getting into 1/24, 1/25 scale drag slot cars, I know nothing about them. I've done a few custom paint jobs for other people that use my bodies for slots but I can never get any info from those people. I'm looking for any kind of info be it web sites, books, magazines or what ever. Any kind of information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

p.s. Here's a couple of models that I painted that are now burning up the slot drags.

SunRise67Chevelle11.jpg

LuckyStrikecensored027.jpg

Brian,

The way I started and learned was going to the local slot car track.The fellow draggers are always more then willing to help you out with set-ups and the like. That's what drawed me to the drag racing,friendly,informative and fun group of guys.I'm not sure about any info on the web,other then suppliers wanting to sell you parts.

From my own experience,small skinny tires need lotsa glue to hook-up,while larger fatter tires will need no glue at start line.Depends on what gears you may run in car if it launches well from start line,tops out midway down the track then flattens out at the end.The best controller is a 1-ohm (no brakes here) it just needs to act as an on-off switch.With full power quickly as possible.At the end of track in shut-down area is stop glue,after you run the car in glue to stop,take a piece of cardboard and roll the tires onto this to clean all the glue off.I have seen some gluys use lighter fluid to clean any residule glue from braids,and then wipe with a wire brush to help clean glue from braids.

there are different types of glue for drag racing,ranging from very light to very heavy.Again depending on tire size and motor torque.Little bit of experminting to see which does the best job. Be sure and write down the Et's from every pass,this way you;ll know wether the car is getting better or worse,more or less glue.

Well i hope this helps you out some in understanding what is going on at the drag stripes in your local Slot track.

Bye the way,those are some very nice paint jobs! I would hold the customer ransome for some info b-4 I would give it him. :wink: