Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jolly Roger Merc - back on the bench 8/30/15

Jantrix

I started my treasure map graphics tonight. Please allow that these are supposed to look kinda rough. There will be some shading added with acrylic craft paints to make the paper look aged. I will be hand painting some palm trees and perhaps an X or two. The trunk lid will be getting a skull and crossbones stencil and the hood will be getting a compass rose.

As always comments and criticisms are kindly welcome.

2012-10-21164944.jpg

2012-10-21165004.jpg

2012-10-21165034.jpg

2012-10-21165016.jpg

James, the rear area will be occupied with a rum barrel and the skeleton of some poor soul who tried to abscond with said rum. However I was kicking around the sword rack idea for the trunk.

Mark this one has been on the back burner for about a year so no surprise you didn't get to see it.

Thanks very much for the ataboys guys.

Quick question. The compass rose and the few palm trees and water I plan to paint onto the map I 'd thought to do in color. Do you think this might end up looking cartoony? I'm going to try to keep the colors a little washed out, to look faded.

Definitely go with flat earth tone colors.

As far as the canon idea, if you made small portholes in the sides behind the doors you would only need to have the very end of the canon sticking out. Should be enough room between the body and interior bucket to do that. Besides, what's a pirate ship without canons?

Prepare to be broadsided!!

Later-

Arrr matey... This project is sooooo cool. I absolutely love your work on the interior. Did you find a beer stein yet..?? I don't have a beer stein shifter, but I happen to have a couple of chrome beer steins...!!!

How about an eye patch over one headlight...??? A pirate sword grille...(Use a little hors d'ouvre sword party pick)...??? Either a flintlock pistol or a blunderbuss somewhere..(tough to find items in scale I guess)...??? A parrot perched on the back of the seat...??? A small Jolly Roger flag on the end of an antenna with a tiny Crow's Nest at the top...???

Can you tell that you've got my imagination working here...???

Rob, here's a picture of the beer steins with some other "geegaws" I posted on another thread. The chrome steins are at the bottom of the picture.

0051024x763.jpg

Hopefully you can make them out OK. If not, let me know and I'll try to get a better picture on here, and, if you still need one, PM me your snail mail address & I'll get one to you.

• 2 weeks later...