Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Gumball Rally- GUMBALL HAS STARTED

Nick Winter

• 2 weeks later...

You're right about the Rally II's. Pontiac never chromed them, so I can't figure out why the model companies always do. Even the factory trim rings (when ordered - they didn't always have them!) had a brushed aluminum finish, not bright chrome. I recently had to strip and paint a set for a '77 Firebird Esprit replica that I built on commission. They look a whole lot better painted than they do chromed, whether stock charcoal gray or body color like you painted yours. Nice job!

• 2 weeks later...

I FINALLY got cracking on my mid-engined V-8 Corvair. I'll warn you guys now: I'm planning Corvette ZR-1 power for this bad boy!

Starting with a body from the "Prestige" release of the AMT 1969 Corvair Monza coupe kit, I removed the Monza emblems to clean it up a little and the side marker lights to backdate the body to a 1966 model. I used masking tape to show me where to scribe the cuts for the radiator air outlet, using the back of an X-Acto blade (I used this older body because it's molded in a harder plastic than the more recent one from about 2006. That one is in the newer AMT gray plastic that I find more difficult to do bodywork on):

DSCN6705.jpg

Now that the outlet is cut in and bent down, I've taped out the cutline for scribing the horizontal cut for widening the fenders. I warped the plastic in the outlet by using too much heat when bending it down, but it isn't so bad that I can't putty it back into shape. Once that's done, I'll install the sides of the outlet:

DSCN6706.jpg

I scribed the horizontal line with the back of an X-Acto blade, then cut vertically from the center of the wheel arches to meet the horizontal cut with a razor saw. Then I carefully bent the plastic out to the new shape I wanted. First I bent it outward from the ends, then back in at the wheel arches. That left a small gap in the middle, but that will be easy to patch up later on:

DSCN6707.jpg

Here I show the filler pieces that go at the top of the horizontal cuts. These are basically just to give the fenders form; they won't be visible in the final build:

DSCN6708.jpg

Here the filler pieces are installed and sanded down to conform to the new shape I want for the sides of the car:

DSCN6709.jpg

More filler pieces. These will go between the fillers that I put on in the last step and the tops of the fenders. they are curved top and bottom and chamfered from behind to be mounted at the correct angle to blend in with the body:

DSCN6710.jpg

This makes what I was describing above a little more clear. I didn't want a flared fender look for this one; I thought a widened fender look would fit the lines of the Corvair body better:

DSCN6711.jpg

And finally, I cut off the front pan to mount a custom spoiler, made from a section of the custom nosepiece from the kit. It will eventually have an air intake in the center and covered driving lights beneath the stock headlight location. Those headlights will have flush covers too. Finally, the spoiler will have a aero splitter at the bottom to keep as much air as possible from going under the car and direct it through the radiator. Also, the car will have a full belly pan, and I'm even thinking about building in a ground effect tunnel in back!

DSCN6712.jpg

About 6 hours down and a hundred to go! You know how it is. It doesn't take all that loing to rough the mods in; The time goes into making it all blend together seamlessly. Now add in the time it's going to take to build the chassis to accept the mid-mounted Corvette engine and front suspension, finish the "Trunk" with the whompin' huge fuel cell, re-do the interior so that it will be comfortable at that sort of speed for that long, modifying the dash for the extra gauges, CB radio, GPS, and radar/laser detector. I'm going all-out to build this for the theme: To me, it has to be a car fully capable of not only winning this race but setting the coast-to-coast record in the process. My goal is one day FLAT! A 140 mph average should do it... ;)

(I'm still considering chopping the top and laying the windshield back some for extra aerodynamics!)

Yeah, you're right, Tony. Chopping the top on a car with such narrow posts, especially when they are at an angle like the rear ones, and tapered at that, would be a ton of work for very little overall effect. I'll just leave the top as-is. I might try it some time, but not on a model with a deadline hanging over it!

Nick, your Firebird looks very Good!

Its been a long time since i put any updates here but Rambler is getting closer and closer to get finished. Only things what i had to do is paint hood,put ignition coil and lots of small details on it. Here's some progress pics and couple of pics whats is going now.

Finished interior

IMG_1477.jpg?t=1336670193

IMG_1478.jpg?t=1336670204

And what is going now.

Kuvia461.jpg?t=1336833074

Kuvia460.jpg?t=1336833090

Kuvia462.jpg?t=1336833125

Wow that lil Rambler looks serious , And Jim that 'vair looks really tough and might actually keep up LOL, j/k

But mine will roll to the line at the redball garage . have sanded some detail out in the pass. door and now have to find a way

restore the lines or a new body.

Nick really like the wheels and the interior both look good .

talk to y'all later

Michael

"Might actually keep up"??? Michael, are you forgetting about it's 600+ horses of Corvette Z-06 motivation sitting in the back seat of my little Corvair? That's more than enough in a 3,000 lb car to "keep up" with a 2 ton+ Daytona! The Rambler should "keep up" with you given it's lighter weight but worse aerodynamics, but I've got power-to-weight, handling, AND aerodynamics (I've already fabbed up my flush-mounted headlight and driving light covers) on both cars!

(Gee, I LOVE trash talk! :):lol::D:P)

Little update for the Camaro, so I can get it done when the race starts...

Ignition wires are installed and I found those headers too, finally. Air Cleaner is installed also, I painted it to match USA Flag colors, stars are just decals. Next step is body work and interior, of course that engine isn't finished either...

P5140039.jpg

P5140040.jpg

P5140041.jpg

P5140043.jpg

Areodynamics .... we got that :P and don't worry i will bring the horsies too . As for handling i saw

on Top Gear usa that Rutledge nearly wiped a 'vair out bigtime .... lol

and i too enjoy this trash talking.

Hmmmm ol' Batsy has that jet engine laying in the repair shop...... Or maybe rob someone else for ..oh well

for now a stroker Hemi and maybe a turbo or something. Better yet stuff a big block chevy in her and a vair

motor in the trunk

Michael

Areodynamics .... we got that :P and don't worry i will bring the horsies too . As for handling i saw

on Top Gear usa that Rutledge nearly wiped a 'vair out bigtime .... lol

and i too enjoy this trash talking.

Hmmmm ol' Batsy has that jet engine laying in the repair shop...... Or maybe rob someone else for ..oh well

for now a stroker Hemi and maybe a turbo or something. Better yet stuff a big block chevy in her and a vair

motor in the trunk

Michael

Yeah... Rutledge. 'Nuff said. Can you say "Ham-Fisted"?

There'll be no need for a Corvair motor in the trunk. Besides, there's already going to be a radiator there. Handling??? A live axle and torsion bars up against a 4-wheel independant coil spring setup? Wake up! You're dreaming again! You'll have to stroke that ol' Hemi and maybe and toss that turbo at too to put it in the same league as a Z-06 mill in a car that only weighs about 2/3 what yours does. If I decide to put a blower on mine, well, the sky's the limit. There'll be plenty of room for it if I decide I want to go that route.

Like the kids say, B'bye... :):lol::D:P

Edited by CorvairJim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

I'm back on the Camaro. I painted Gas Tank gloss black and few details from the chassis are silver now. Also I found correct wheels for this, stripped the chrome plating and painted wheels flat black. Tires needed some work before I fitted those wheels on, but now they fit fine. I painted interior base color too and installed rear axle, but leaf springs need some work still before I can call them done.

P5250275.jpg

P5250276.jpg

P5250273.jpg

Edited by W-409

Front Axle System is assembled, now for the Camaro and I found good wheel backs from my spare parts box. They needed bit work before I could glue them on but now they fit fine. I had to paint textes from rear tires too before gluing them. Stance is pretty good now.

P5260297.jpg

P5260299.jpg

P5260300.jpg

P5260301.jpg

P5260302.jpg