Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:8 scratch deuce

Ognib

My inspiration for scratch built body panels.

About 1/4 of the way down the page are some excellent shots of his body buck & his brass panel work.

Also some good shots of his body build jig.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2013/11/06/continental-mark-112-roger-zimmermans-amazing-scratchbuilding-skills/

Edited by Ognib

Going to begin on the body buck by taking the area inside the feature lines on either side of the deck lid down 1/16", across the deck lid on to the lower body panel.

kit46_zps03ddc82d.jpg

I've already cut a line for the deck lid perimeter.

I'll continue to keep this line intact as I work, preserving the layout work previously done.

kit47_zps18b1e157.jpg

Chisels & a round gouge will allow me to establish a definitive edge along the feature lines.

kit48_zps7a61b721.jpg

I use pencil to provide a guide coat so I can see where I'm working.

kit49_zps2500f245.jpg

My collection of rifler files & rasps.

kit50_zpsf2fc1e73.jpg

The rim around the back of the cockpit is 1/8", with the outer feature line being about half that.

kit51_zps5ae1e7a4.jpg

Little at a time.

kit52_zpsf44fb689.jpg

Pulled a template off the upper body for crown radius.

kit53_zps8f1e8e5b.jpg

Get it established here, early on.

kit54_zpseb19366b.jpg

Edited by Ognib

Ognib, I haven't checked into this forum in a long time because of outside jobs. Having refreshed my memory of this model I have to ask,

with all due respect, have you completed a panel from the dozens of bucks you have made?

I generally check and do the panels as I go.

Also in that "away time" I produced some piece with methods that might be of help. If you will look through this post and consider

the front axle construct and the method of doing the headers.

http://largescalemodelers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=457

Again, this is only a "serving suggestion". :)

Dremel in a mini-router base, with a small router bit, allows me to take just a shave or so off at a time, followed by working across the downward radius with an 80 grit sanding stick, to keep it all tied smoothly together.

This is moving things along quickly while allowing me to easily maintain a constant depth of the panels in relationship to the height of the feature lines on either side.

kit58_zps09266e8d.jpg

Edited by Ognib

Thanks. :)

Yes, stewmac.

Very well made item.

Bought it originally for cutting cavities on a guitar headstock for pearl inlay & saddle slots on acoustic bridges.

Has proven to be very handy on a regular basis.

The wooden sled extends out far enough to keep it riding on the "high" wood on either side of the area being worked.

kit59_zpsfa0c3c90.jpg

Edited by Ognib

My feature line areas are now 1/16" high.

Can now start fitting the templates to the lower body panel & further up, the lower deck lid.

This work will begin the shaping of the rear quarter panels & also help me to establish the crowns across the top of it all.

kit60_zps5321a24e.jpg

kit61_zpsd22ed800.jpg

Edited by Ognib

The tip of this set of templates ends at the edge of the side body feature line...dark mark..

kit65_zps19d3ff1e.jpg

It was essential that I establish a hard line for this point when beginning the material removal at the lower deck lid.

kit66_zps08841d1d.jpg

Leaving it a bit high, until I get the rest of the way up roughed in & then bring it all in together.

kit67_zpsb8920235.jpg

Another template...this one reads the feature lines, which are the high points on this part of the body.

kit70_zpsc9d87c1d.jpg

Using a file that cuts on the edges, I'm defining the outer edge of the feature line.

kit71_zpscc7edb07.jpg

kit72_zps2f2d2727.jpg

This is the top of the outer quarter panel.

As I round off the edges to shape down to the panel side, I'll be working to this cut I'm now making.

kit73_zps61f7baea.jpg