Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of Monogram's Squarebody GM Pickups

Fabrux

The Wrecker was Originally issued in '79/80 as the "Captain Hook" from Holmes Tow Truck

I have a built Original. It was molded in black

The lightbar used Transparent decals to tint the Amber(yellow) sections.

As for the graphics on the 67-72 Era Chevy/GMC Pickup/Blazer, There use to be

a white over Yellow-Orange Suburban here in town with the same ones as in the

Boondocker & Model King issues.

As for Blue Thunder, I have an unbuilt of the Chopper, but do not remember seeing the Blazer.

(On the shelf, or the show!!)

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Great writeup to, i have the highroller kit, but that yellow/black truck, i like that paint job, is that supposed to be a factory paint job

Yes. RPO Z77 Sport Truck Package. It was a secondary package that was part of the Scottsdale trim level. Only available on shortbed 4x4 models, both Stepside and Fleetside, as well as Blazers.

The Sheriff's Blazer was one of my first glue models in 1982. Now I'm hit with nastalgia lately and want to aquire another or two. Even the Jimmy would work too. One to build and one to stash away in my "vault". But, for what they're selling for now a days...they're only for the vault. A buildable one, if you're lucky, is still a bit much. I've seen a few on ebay from time to time that were cheaper, but I seem to always miss it. There is one guy selling a complete kit in "parted out" listings. Haven't added it up, but I'm very sure it'll be very pricy to aquire all the parts. Wish Revell/Monogram would re-release the Blazer(Jimmy) again. THAT was a REAL Blazer. Not the S-10 version "puppy" , and I hate to say this...truck(hardly). Can't wait for the P/U w/plow comes out. I've got a set of really nice A/T tires that I've been saving for a decent 4x4 truck to replace those stupid Tracker A/T's.

One thing about the Blazer (the burgundy one)--that tool broke in half in the door section. When they restored it, they had to retool the door handles, and they did them too small. I've been looking for an original with the right sized door handles for years.

Bob Johnson was the one who told me what had happened to the door handles, so that's probably pretty accurate.

Terry

Andy:The guy that parts out kits also sells complete ones. $120 for opened ones and $130-40 for sealed ones. :blink:

Terry: I noticed that on the Mad Mudder kit and was wondering what was up with that...

TOO MUCH...And I've seen them for more than $130-$140 sealed, but they keep going back for sale because they want too much for them and nobody's buying them. Just wish Revell would listen to modelers and produce what WE want and not what they THINK we want. I've contacted a couple of model company's before with the same answer..."thanks for the suggestion, but no thanks". So, what can we do?

TOO MUCH...And I've seen them for more than $130-$140 sealed, but they keep going back for sale because they want too much for them and nobody's buying them. Just wish Revell would listen to modelers and produce what WE want and not what they THINK we want. I've contacted a couple of model company's before with the same answer..."thanks for the suggestion, but no thanks". So, what can we do?

The problem with the model companies doing kits of what "we" want based on Ebay prices is that every time they do it, the kit ends up being a total flop. It's happened in the past. Unfortunatly, the high prices fond on Ebay and the secondary market aren't really an indicator of actual demand.

On the flip side of that, I would love to see Revell and Round 2 reissue as many of their old pickup and suv kits as they can. I know some would require retooling (Dodge longbed Sweptside) due to alterations made, but many others could be straight reissues/modified reissues (the '77 GMC for example).

Dang it Chris , ya got me thinkin i gots to do another wrecker . Yeah, I had a 76 G M C back in dallas years ago I wazzzzzz a pickin up bandoned stuff wiff. had me a Lectric winch, , Diamond tread bed, an a home built crane wiff a blinkin light right on da roof !!!!!!!!!!! Arlington Texas P D thought I was nutz, yeah , still am too ! Ed Shaver

The problem with the model companies doing kits of what "we" want based on Ebay prices is that every time they do it, the kit ends up being a total flop. It's happened in the past. Unfortunatly, the high prices fond on Ebay and the secondary market aren't really an indicator of actual demand.

On the flip side of that, I would love to see Revell and Round 2 reissue as many of their old pickup and suv kits as they can. I know some would require retooling (Dodge longbed Sweptside) due to alterations made, but many others could be straight reissues/modified reissues (the '77 GMC for example).

I'd just like to see more '70's trucks...when trucks were trucks...solid axle 4x4's and no frills. I'm definately getting a couple of the GMC P/U w/plow kits when they come out.

^^That would explain why I can't find any mention of it anywhere.

^I have two of the original release in black plastic and 75% of the blue plastic release of the pickup, a Mad Mudder version of the Blazer and I have a deal in the works for something else from the list. Update pending. :)

One thing about the Blazer (the burgundy one)--that tool broke in half in the door section. When they restored it, they had to retool the door handles, and they did them too small. I've been looking for an original with the right sized door handles for years.

Bob Johnson was the one who told me what had happened to the door handles, so that's probably pretty accurate.

Terry

That, and they're not alligned either, when comparing right to left.

A few things I noticed...

1) The Blazer and Jimmy kits have front (maybe rear, too?) bumper with wide, raised rub strips...:

IMG_4847.jpg

...while all of the pickup's bumpers do not:

IMG_4949.jpg

The GMC Jimmy also includes a unique aftermarket style (Hickey, maybe?) hood, which dips at the front:

IMG_4855.jpg

2) The stepside pickup version seems to have a side-view mirror issue, as they are missing in the first issue, back for the second, then missing again for the most recent reissue. Then, the Pulldozer and Mad Mudder both have the mirrors, but none of the monster truck versions do. :blink:

3) Did the most recent aqua blue version of the pickup include the axle trusses all of the other "street" versions did? You can see the axles due to the high angle, and you can see in the image Revell has provided for the forthcoming GMC reissue that the axle trusses are not present.

4) Did any other Monogram kit include the wheels pictured on the GMC High Roller box art? They look different than those on the standard GMC pickups, but maybe they are the same?

5) No GMC emblem on the grille of the original issue? It appears to have been included in the kit, so I would guess the box art model was built pre-production.

1) The rear bumpers do indeed have the bump strips. I think the GMC High Roller has the same hood as the Jimmy; all the other High Roller trucks have some sort of aftermarket hood.

2) No idea on the mirrors.

3) The aqua/blue version does indeed have the trusses.

4) The GMC High Roller box art shows the same rims as the regular GMC Sport Pickup. If PJ Toys is to believed, the kit actually came with the same rims that are in the Mad Mudder.

5) No idea? The Jimmy and GMC High Roller have the grille emblem so your theory is probably correct.

Chris, IIRC, the yellow and black stepside was a "Street Coupe" package and was also available in a couple outher colour combos. ,,, At least I think it was a S/C,, might have had another name on the 4X4s,,, it's been a long time. :D

The Street Coupe was the GMC version of the Chevrolet Sport Truck package. Other than the brand difference, they are identical, even the RPO code is the same. Also, on further investigation, the Sport Truck and Street Coupe packages were available on 2wd shortbeds as well as the 4x4.

Casey: time to start researching! B)

Luc: Interesting! Looks like that kit would be a perfect starting point for a JAWS replica as it has the 73-75 roof. That gives me a starting point to try and find box art, thanks. :)

There was a guy on ebay that had one up for bid a few weeks ago. It looked pretty good. Had pictures of the real truck from the movie as well as the model for comparison. Very close to dead on accurate.

I agree with you, Andy. I'm planning to get a few myself.

I contacted Revell over the weekend via Email and got a response today. At least it wasn't a "thanks, but no thanks". It was forwarded to their research and developement department. One can only hope, but maybe they'll start listening to people in the hobby more if we pester them enough.

At least it wasn't a "thanks, but no thanks". It was forwarded to their research and developement department. One can only hope, but maybe they'll start listening to people in the hobby more if we pester them enough.

They probably recognized your e-mail address again. :D