Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D-printed 1/24 scale 15" Vector Wheel

Hello General Lee and Turbo Regal fans:

I have drawn my first wheel in 3D:
VectorWork6_zps6f5cba8a.jpg

It's a Vector wheel in 1:24 scale, patterned to fit my Eagle GT and Radial T/A tires that I've been making this year, as well as the GT Radial OWL tires from the Revellogram kits.

I can have this wheel printed in high quality but the cost is also quite high. I want the wheel for my '85 Grand National model so I'll bite the bullet and have it made for myself, but I'd like to sell a few sets to offset the printing cost. Only the master is 3D printed; the actual production pieces will be resin. This wheel would work great for anyone wanting to build a 1:24 General Lee and don't want to use the undersized wheels from 1:25 kits. In addition to the '85 Grand National, this wheel is also on '86 & '87 Buick Turbo Regals. Plus it's an all-around cool design.

If you'd be interested in a set of four accurate 1:24 resin Vector wheels, drop me a line.

Thanks,
Joseph

Edited by Chief Joseph

Hello General Lee and Turbo Regal fans:

I have drawn my first wheel in 3D:

VectorWork6_zps6f5cba8a.jpg

It's a Vector wheel in 1:24 scale, patterned to fit my Eagle GT and Radial T/A tires that I've been making this year, as well as the GT Radial OWL tires from the Revellogram kits.

I can have this wheel printed in high quality but the cost is also quite high. I want the wheel for my '85 Grand National model so I'll bite the bullet and have it made for myself, but I'd like to sell a few sets to offset the printing cost. Only the master is 3D printed; the actual production pieces will be resin. This wheel would work great for anyone wanting to build a 1:24 General Lee and don't want to use the undersized wheels from 1:25 kits. In addition to the '85 Grand National, this wheel is also on '86 & '87 Buick Turbo Regals. Plus it's an all-around cool design.

If you'd be interested in a set of four accurate 1:24 resin Vector wheels, drop me a line.

Thanks,

Joseph

nice wheel i tried the bead once and it didnt fly with the printers i used most have a minimum wall thickness of 1mm

On the 1st Unit (hero car) General Lee, they used 14x7 Vectors (running 235/70/R14 tires). The wheels found in the MPC/AMT/Ertl General Lee kits are closer to a 16" wheel in 1/25 scale. The other wheel often used for General Lee model builds are from the AMT Eckler Corvette kit. While it is better looking wheel compared to the GL kit wheel, it's more like a 15x8 or 15x8.5 wheel. Also, since the Revell 69 Charger kit is 1/25, I'd prefer to see something in that scale. Additionally, my vote would be for a 14x7 wheel.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

You should be ok to get the parts printed even with thin wall sections, as long as it's not unsupported. So spoked wheels are out, but ribs on a wheel should be ok.

Here are the ones I got made, they're 1:32 scale so even finer detail. These are resin casts from a 3D printed master model, the same as you're doing

IMAG0653.jpg

I also got these made, which are in 1:32 scale. Again, this photo is of the resin copies of 3D printed master parts

IMAG0812.jpg

I don't think there are any 1/24th scale '69 Charger kits. They are all 1/25th

I think I was remembering a 1/24 diecast Charger that someone had converted to a General Lee when I wrote that. I'm still waiting for the printed wheel to arrive; it's coming from the other side of the planet so I have to be patient (boo). Once it's here I have to make sure it will fit my tires and I must also make a centerpiece and lug nuts for it.

Wow looks good as is. Should have a few for people who don't want the lugnuts. Just a bare wheel. Ill take some when your done

Thanks, Joe. The lugnuts and centerpiece will be separate cast pieces, so the wheel will be easier to paint. I'll let people decide for themselves if they want to drill a hole for a valve stem, too.

I received the printed wheel today and the quality is breathtaking (to a model nerd like me, anyway):

th_JO236257.jpg

Click the thumbnail to get a larger picture.

This is the wheel on a rubber version of my 1/24 Eagle GT. The next step is to make some lug nuts and a centerpiece for it.

man i wish i could find a place with a high res printer

Really nice Joseph! I've just taken my vectors off the market! :blink:/> One thing i've been wanting to ask though...and please don't take offense, but why such a big tag on the tires? I'm just very against waste and that seems like alot of resin that could go elsewhere.?

To get resin into the mold and air out of the mold. I want to get a perfect part every time to maximize the life of the mold. A little bit of extra resin is cheap compared to getting castings with air bubbles!

I was able to get the centercap made on my lathe this afternoon, so I'm just waiting on some hexagonal styrene rod to arrive so I can make the lug nuts.

Okay, that makes sense. So you don't use a pressure pot?

Yes, I always use pressure, but if you have a big old air bubble trapped at the top of the part because the air couldn't escape the mold, no amount of pressure is going help you. We generally get around these issues by having separate pour & vent openings, but on these tires I want to keep the tread detail intact and that means a single point of entry into the mold. The tire's contact patch is the most logical point to place the hole, since it is out of view when the model is complete.

Joe, the lug nuts are going to be a challenge for sure due to their size. When I package the sets, I will include extra centercaps and lug nuts. Those little bits are cheap to make, and it just makes sense to provide extras so that losing one tiny part doesn't torpedo someone's modeling session.