Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth K123

I decided to start a new Kenworth K123 a few days ago. So far I have the frame together with a torsion bar suspension on. I'm going with spoke wheels and a Detriot Diesel 8V92 engine. Progress will likely be slow and steady, but I will try to keep this updated.

008_zps738a8a4b.jpg

007_zps6448b8bc.jpg

The 8V92 is from the AMT aerodyne kit. I got the torsion bar suspension from P&P resin works and the spoke wheels are from a diamond reo kit.

My family ran a trucking business for about 50 years before selling it a few years back. Through the 60's and early 70's they primarily ran K123's with cummins engines, then switched over to 8V92's in the mid to late 70's. In 1978 they bought a few matching green and white K123's with 8V92's. For this model I am trying to replicate one of these as best I can.

These still had the skinny grille (they went to the wider grille a year or two later it seems) with the oil door in the front of the cab, a window on the back of the cab, larger diameter air intake tube (cab mounted) with a cab mounted single exhaust. I just cast some slam locks to put in the bottom corner of the doors, but I still need to come up with something for the side step ladders from the late 70's.

Sounds like a plan! For the side grab handles and steps, unless you can cast them yourself or own a 3D printer... You're going to have to have to kitbash a Revell or AMT Aerodyne, I'm sad to say. My 3D printer is still in the pipeline... Have I got plans for this thing...

Edited by BigBad

I did a little work to the cab over the last few days. I filled the top door handles and cast my own slam locks (to be added later). I shrunk the vent windows down to update the cab to a late 70's model. I got the paint sprayed and tonight I put on the stripes from modeltruckin.com. I ruined the first set of stripes before I got the hang of it, but by the time I was done I was a pro :D Here is the cab as of now:

005_zpsd594b6aa.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the real trucks, kinda crappy quality I know. I will try to get some better pics of the real thing soon.

003_zpsfecd6efa.jpg

Next on the list is to clear coat the cab, then put the lettering on the door, then add the slam locks and step ladders.

Well I had a bit of a disater tonight that will set me back a bit. While trying to get the lettering on the doors, I found that my cleacoat over the stripe decals was not the best, and part of the stripes pulled off. I wound up taking sticky tape and trying to pull all of the stripes and clear coat off to get it back down to the base coat of paint. I have ordered more stripes, but I will have to wait for them to come now. I guess I will try to put the lettering on before the stripes this time around.

• 3 weeks later...