Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 MercedesSSK

kennb

Yes I bought some kits.........................................................This is a Lindberg kit which I have never done before.

DSCN4660_zps972e4b95.jpg

Opening the box most things were bagged except for the chrome????should it not be bagged???????????????

Really overall the kit is flash free and nice crisp moldings.....Like the Monogram Rolls it is stiff tho.......

The motor is basic with little detailing and has almost a too mechanical feel to it,,,,,,I am used to the AMT,MPC where they have a more "earthy" feel to them.....The molds also feel a little thin but still fine.

DSCN4661_zps5a162fdd.jpg

The rubber tires are nicely detailed and pressed but the rims are in my estimation the downfall in the entire kit. I know wire wheels are hard to do but these are flat and have no depth to them.

I will be building this one in the future and of course will use real wire anyway so it is not a problem.

DSCN4662_zpseb3cfa93.jpg

There is a lot of chrome in this one. again it feels still and maybe to much "toy" like. I think it has to do with not taking the time to "round" out the tooling....I am sure most will understand if they have delt with this type of kit before.....

It seems that when they make these older exotics they forget how to tool them like they do the more modern cars.....

But all in all a good starting place that could produce a great model if you take the time to fill it out some.

One detail that almost everyone overlooks when building any kit of this car is that the brake drums should be copper-plated. BMF copper is perfect. And the wire wheels should be painted.

You'll find some amazing hand-built, large-scale Mercedes models here (scroll down):

http://www.fineartmodels.com/fineartmodels.com/Mercedes_SSk_SSKL.html

They are gorgous hand builts for sure,,,,Makes mine look terrible but then they take more than a few weeks to build............................ -_-

Thanks for pointing those out to me and the comment on the brake drums...I would never have caught that,,,,,

The box art is terrible indeed as are the whitewalls. I am thinking of going to something like this for the final version. but using the fenders from the kit.

I think it is a lot more elegent and true to form on the colour selection. :rolleyes:

post-8184-0-32434300-1367889002_thumb.jp

Edited by kennb

I think that's an older kit- sometime around the 1960s or '70s. I vaguely remember seeing a few on shop shelves from when I was a kid in the 1980s. I was very pleased with the molding quality of mine. I'm going to try and build it sometime this year.

I grabbed one of those a few months ago because I've been on a real pre-war kick lately. I would probably agree that the WWWs aren't necessarily correct for an SSK, although they do, in my opinion, add a nice bit of dress-up to what is essentially a road-going race car.

I was toying with doing mine in as close as I can get to a pearl white that one might've seen in the 1920s or '30s, and a high-end, custom-built, big-bucks car gives me an excuse to play a little.

I ran across a nice site with some reference pictures of an SSK that looks very much like this one- even the color scheme is the same. I'm not on my computer right now, but next time I am and if I remember, I'll try to post a link to it.

Charlie Larkin

The initial pressing of this kit is probably at least 30 years ago with reissues and new box art each time,,,I have seen it with at least 4 different boxes. This one is a new issue (sic) I got it from Model Roundup. :P

Same here. I have been on a pre-war cars kick lately. and I just might have to add this one to the stack.

I just picked up an Heller kit of an early 30's Alfa Romeo Zagato and it is extremly close to the ft of the line. I plan to start it late this summer or early fall at the latest ( maybe sooner if I can clear the bench )

ps, does this kit have whitewall tires or all black ?

Edited by gtx6970

It has WW but I think they should be painted black or turn the tires around,,,They have some great Dunlap lettering too.. -_-

That Alfa sounds nice too,,,,will have to look it up.

Edited by kennb

The box art is terrible indeed as are the whitewalls. I am thinking of going to something like this for the final version. but using the fenders from the kit.

I think it is a lot more elegent and true to form on the colour selection. :rolleyes:

That's a 710 SS, which is a more luxo version of the SSK. Some interesting color ideas here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=mercedes+710+SS&safe=off&hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&oq=mercedes+710+SS&gs_l=img.12...25257.25257.0.29724.1.1.0.0.0.0.93.93.1.1.0...0.0...1ac.1.12.img.UnzQo3MZbPY

The 1:18 Bburago diecast has a nice color combo with a cream body and dark brown fenders, and my 1/16 SS will have a gray body with black fenders and a red interior.

Edited by sjordan2

Old mold still running...

Lindberg got this one out back in the mid 60's, was reissued many, many times in the last 45+ years, not bad at all for a... Lindberg kit of the 60's! As mention...White Walls are definetly a no-no & wire wheels in box... well... :unsure:

Try also Lindberg's Bugatti Royale

Skip,,,thnk you for the link,,,,,,,,,,,,i am still not 100% on it but getting close...

drawing up some plans to see what needs to get done to make the modifications.................... :P

Paul......odd you should mention that one,,,,,,,came in the same box as the Mercedes :rolleyes:

post-11944-0-11297100-1367947193.gif

About 2 years ago I converted Lindberg's SSK into a detailed SSKL. I spent about 400 hours and did a lot of research before.

Model designations

Father of SSK and SSKL was the 710 SS. At its first presentation 1929 Mercedes claimed that the SS was the world's fastest road sports car. The supercharged 7.1 litre engine had an output of 250 PS , appr. 250 net hp.

The SSK ( K= Kurz = short) had the same chassis but with a shorter wheelbase. It lacked any comfort, was considerably lighter and more a competition than a road car. The engine output was not increased. With the exception of a Mille Miglia car all SSK had, if any, four separate cycle wings without running boards.

The SSKL (L = Leicht = light) was an SSK slimmed and lighted in all details. The most striking feature were numerous drilled holes in the chassis. The output was increased to 300 PS. It was intended for racing only. It is the most famous and most attractive car of the series.

The Lindberg kit

Built straight from the box the model does not look convincing at all. The most important shortcomings the serious modeller has to cope with:

• all measurements are correct, but coachwork and radiator are a bit too low
  • tyres and rims must be replaced, real wire wheels make or break the model
  • the complete exhaust system, especially the visible outside exhaust manifolds, is not correct
  • the reproduction of the visible friction shock absorbers is too simple
  • the brake drums must be finned
  • the separate radiator guard should be made from real mesh
  • the kit fenders are not authentic and no SSK had any bumpers

Despite all these shortcomings the experienced modeller can build a very attractive model if he is willing to spend a lot of time and a lot of effort.

I am planning to present my SSKL soon. Maybe you are interested to see my solutions.

Jurgen, I would LOVE to see your photos. My main question is your mention of the radiator guard, which was not a piece of standard equipment on the typical SSK. I'm sure your photos will tell the story.

As far as the fenders, it's true the kit is not exactly accurate, but it's close to others. Several also had custom modifications. I really like the last one without the running board.

post-4455-0-01071000-1367953557_thumb.jp

post-4455-0-51908700-1367953585_thumb.jp

post-4455-0-56166200-1367953620_thumb.jp

Is this the radiator guard you're describing?

post-4455-0-82018400-1367954302_thumb.jp

Edited by sjordan2

I have been doing a lot of exterior thinking on this kit,,,,and the very first thing , of course , is that it HAS to have real wire wheels,,,,,,,,,

I have seen some without the running boards and am leaning as that being a possibility,,,,,,that or making my own since the chrome ones with the kit are all wrong....

The chrome firewall has to go,,,,,,,,,it is horrendious.............................

With the image I put up i will have to remake the back body section and add some beading to the hood to make it right.....seeing that second one you put up Skip is getting me thing tho.

The tires are useable but not the whitewalls,, I would paint them and put them to the inside.

Not sure about the fenders yet but like the look of the tool box on the SS on the front of the running board.....

I would like to get some good pictures of the motor since the one in the kit just will not do......it is DEAD with no feeling to it.........Maybe could say it is child like...........

Initially I was going to just build straight out of the box until I opened it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It will make a good starting point tho.

Skip.....if you could put up a few good shots of the motor it would be appreciated.....

Jorgen,,thank you for all the imput and suggestions.....................

I'll put up some engine shots on Wednesday. I don't know what you have in mind for the back of the body, but be aware that the kit is an SSK with totally different specs from the 710 SS that you showed in the illustration you posted, and would require significant changes to things like the doors if you try to copy the 710 SS. That illustration is not an SSK at all, and has a longer wheelbase. My point is, there are substantial differences between what is authentic to an SSK and a 710 SS.

Can you put up the engine assembly part of the instructions so I can select the proper reference for you? There were differences between different models and model years. If you have a picture of a real car the way you want to build it, that would be good, too.

EDIT: Never mind, I found the instructions. There seem to be several omissions in the engine compartment, such as a missing steering box and I can't tell if there's a reserve gas tank on the firewall, but nothing major, and it's really not bad at all. My question is, how detailed do you want to be with plumbing and wiring? I can tell you what might be more important. Go back to the Fine Art Models link I gave you and you will find excellent, extremely accurate reference.

Edited by sjordan2

Skip, in those days customers could order either only a running chassis or a complete car with a standard Mercedes coachwork. The factory coachwork always had cycle wings and looked like this:

This is the displayed original SSK in the Mercedes-Museum in Stuttgart.

Of course it is possible that owners modified their car later on, f. e. to make it road legal in their country.

Customers who ordered only a running chassis felt free to fit any bespoke coachwork to their chassis.

Your pictures show some examples. On top ist a coachwork by Murphy of California. The second and the third could probably be French. The fourth shows a SSKL like I built.

You can recognize the same mesh radiator guard on this SSKL as on my photo

Edited by Plastheniker

If you really want to emulate the car in the painting you showed above, you'll save yourself a lot of agony (and create other types of agony) if you go with the 1/16 Mercedes SS Sonder Kabriolet, usually available on eBay. It can be built with or without a running board. This is the one I've been planning for a very long time.

http://www.freewebs.com/martsmodels/1928mercedesss.htm

Here's what it would look like without the running board shown in the link above:

post-4455-0-07417000-1367959582_thumb.pn

Edited by sjordan2

Skip, if you are interested you can see my pctures in a German forum.

http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=44033

I hope it works.

Kenneth, Skip's hint is excellent. The 1/16 Entex/Gakken/Revell Mercedes SS is probably one of the best and most attractive car kits ever made. I suppose the box still contains real (!) wire wheels.

I will use the link for the engine,,,,,I want to get enuff garbage on it so it looks well detailed but you have seen what I do and I know it will never look like the real thing.......I went a little overboard on the Bentley motor.. :P ....I scratch build with an exatco knife and 4 files and a candle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D what do you expect :lol:

I know there is a significant different in the SSK and the 710 SS.....What I am thinking is to morph the 2 into one car using the body of the 710 to fit within the confines of the SSK. I think the thing that drew me to the 710 was the colours,,,,,,,,they reall set the car off but to get them right I need the 710 beading that the SSK just does not have......................if that makes any sense......... :blink::huh:

The wire wheels are the easy part...................... :rolleyes: Just have to sort out what I want to do with this to make it presentable when it is done........Skip...you know I am a gluton for doing things the hard way......... ;)