Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here Kitty, Kitty,... (or Oh!...For the love of Cats)... 1st and 2nd gen (1963 and 1967- 1973) Cougar CBP

Abell82

Introducing the 1st and 2nd gen Cougar CBP open to any Ford Or Mercury Cougar from 1967 - 1973 including the 1963 Cougar II.

To Keep the rules simple, and because I work slow

I'll keep the date open ended.

There is one rule and only one rule...

HAVE FUN!

Old Builds, New builds, Half built, Factory stock, Custom, Shiny or Rusty I'd like to see them ALL!

So please feel free to join in!

My opening project for the CBP will most likely be a this 1970 Cougar...in resin:

104_3180.jpg

It's a bit rough, but when I saw it, I knew I had to have it! I believe this one was cast from R & D Unique. (Unfortunately I wasn't lucky enough to get one from Missinglink.)

The project may change however as I have NUMEROUS Cats that need some attention!

Unfortunately, I have another project to finish up first, before I can get started on this one it so it may or may not see much progress until the beginning of next year...(told you I was slow)!

But please feel free to start without me as I will welcome the inspiration!

Edited by Abell82

Not really much material to work from (I can think of maybe five existing kits) but I still might jump in. After all, I have always wondered what a '69 Cougar might have looked like if it had been available with a Sportsroof. ;) At any rate, I will be looking in even if I don't participate.

Not really much material to work from (I can think of maybe five existing kits) but I still might jump in. After all, I have always wondered what a '69 Cougar might have looked like if it had been available with a Sportsroof. ;) At any rate, I will be looking in even if I don't participate.

5 Models? There are AMT MPC IMT And Palmer kits. Stock, Convertible, Funny car, Plastic, Resin, Diecast...the Sky is the only limit, so to speak.

Not to mention there is no scale limit, either sooo....

What about 1/64th?

100_0053.jpg

100_0052.jpg

And you say you wonder what a 1969 Cougar would look like as a Fastback...er Sportsroof hmmm?

I wonder what one of those would look like? Hmmm...Maybe I could help you out there...

Well, maybe it might look something like...

MVC-043S.jpg

Or maybe not ? You know depending on the year or whatever...

Edited by Abell82

Well, I mean readily available kits. So (for me) that pretty much rules out everything but the AMT '69. :D And the Lindberg Ford Cougar. Guess I hadnt even considered scales or body materials- I DO have a couple of Hot Wheels Cougars, and since it seems reworking Hot Wheels cars is getting pretty popular...

And the Sportsroof Kitty looks killer... might need to do mine as a faux Shelby Cougar fastback now. ;)

Since this one is open ended just like I like 'em, count me in. I have all the bits to restomod an AMT 1968 XR7 annual that I have been wanting to build for awhile. Also have a resin 1967, a partially built MPC 1970 annual, a mint AMT 1969 annual and several of the AMT reissues of the 1973 Cougar with Missing Link's 1971-72 bumpers to pick from.

My AMT original (and only) issue '67 and '68. Both restored from built ups, the '67 was decent, but the '68 was a glue bomb requiring some special attention.

PC050172.jpg

PC050173.jpg

The '68 was done semi-promo style, the '67 in a factory color single stage.

PC050175.jpg

PC050176.jpg

I have a built MPC '70 that I'll probably do here as an Eliminator.

-MJS

Thanks Chuck. Here's another one from the Wayback Machine.

'69 Kitty was built a looooong time ago, (25+ years) from the AMT/Matchbox issue Cougar street machine. This issue didn't contain stock parts, had a hole in the hood, and period-goofy decals. I convertible-ized it, top boot is modified '50 Ford, Made the top side wells, sun visors from the parts box, wire wheels from the '65 Riv kit, rubber Pirelli tires from a Porsche kit, ( I think) and an MPC Cobra jet scoop was the perfect shape to hide the hood hole. This was also the first of many AMT Mustangs and Cougars that got the then-new Monogram '65 Mustang engine compartment that fits so nicely in these kits. I replaced the kit supplied Boss 429 with a 428 Cobra Jet, and lowered it slightly. It was a fun build back when no plan existed, you just sort of let things take shape as you went.

PC050184.jpg

PC050187.jpg

PC050183.jpg

-MJS

• 4 weeks later...

A sport roof Cougar. Now that would have been cool

After reading this I started searching (Fruitless) for the Sonny and Cher Cougars. I remember seeing a pictorial years ago in Mustang monthly. I can't remember much other then they were heavily modified, ugly and the dashboards were covered in shag carpet. Just thought it would make an interesting project.

AMT offered the Sonny & Cher "MUSTANG" in 65 or 66!!

I don't remember them being Cougars!

I wish AMT would return the XR7 parts to their 69!

I want the original engine & exhaust to restore a 67 I have.

Actually have parts for almost 3 complete 67s!

AMT offered the Sonny & Cher "MUSTANG" in 65 or 66!!

I don't remember them being Cougars!

I wish AMT would return the XR7 parts to their 69!

I want the original engine & exhaust to restore a 67 I have.

Actually have parts for almost 3 complete 67s!

I just saw that as I was looking for the Cougars. Those were some ugly Mustangs. :blink: