Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP.....69 Daytona Pro Mod..Updated 10/28/10

1320wayne

:blink::o:blink::o

WOW!

:)

Sharp looking build Man!

Really like your eye for design! What are you using for reference material??

That is my biggest hurdle, knowing where to look!

:D

The build is looking super sharp Dude, this is a a real "eye popper!"

I will "definitely" be watching! I have a similar 1/25 scale project in the stash!

:D

Thanks for sharing

Later

Russ

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is more progress. I fixed the valve covers and added the photo-etch blower holddown brackets. The scratchbuilt magneto is done, attached and wired along with added bolt head details to the valve covers from Protech. And the chassis construction is basically complete to the point that I was able to add some paint.

DSC04492-vi.jpg

DSC04493-vi.jpg

DSC04495-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since I'm on vacation I figured that I could spend some quality time at the workbench and get some more progress completed.

Updates to the engine include the fuel pump and fittings, blower belt, blower hat and oil pump. The front spindles and springs are all attached as well.

DSC04507-vi.jpg

DSC04508-vi.jpg

DSC04509-vi.jpg

That is really sharp. I have been watching this one.

One question, what is the PE part that looks like the blower base gasket/safety strap mount on the top of the blower?

That is almost exactly what you said it was. This is a photo etch bracket for applying the holddown straps for both the blower and the blower hat. It comes in a blower detail set from Model Car Garage.

Well, the carbon fiber decaling has been fighting me every step of the way to get it to lay down just right over the primered aluminum sheet but I was finally able to make some progress and get the first few sheets done and attached. There will be bolthead details added as well.

I was also able to get started working on the wheel tubs, also made from aluminum and a bit of thin styrene.

DSC04514-vi.jpg

DSC04517-vi.jpg

DSC04515-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Here are some new updates. I went ahead and rebuilt the magneto as the first one I did was too small and I wasn't happy with it.

The Lenco and bellhousing is complete and ready for assembly into the chassis. I added bolt head details as well as photo etch linkage for the reverser. I might have to re-do the push buttons as they are very fragile and have broken off multiple times already.

I was also able to get the center floorboard piece in place for the interior.

DSC04524-vi.jpg

DSC04656-vi.jpg

DSC04658-vi.jpg

DSC04659-vi.jpg

Here is another mockup picture to check that everything clears where it should. The bellhousing and Lenco is installed along with the added bolt heads for the floor sheet metal panels. I have also started on the sheet metal dash.

DSC04682-vi.jpg

DSC04683-vi.jpg

DSC04684-vi.jpg

DSC04685-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally decided to get to work on the body as I got tired of looking at a body in primer. I cut out the doors and prepped the body for paint. Applied the aluminum followed by masking, cutting and painting the Limefire Green color coat. This is a Dupli-color engine enamel. It's not as neon as it might look in the pictures as the flash added some of that effect. This is just in the rough stages still as I have to wait a couple of days and then wet sand any masking edges left behind and then start outlining and adding shadowing to create a three dimensional effect of the color coat being peeled away. Then I can start on the decaling process. The rear of the body will have a black Daytona wraparound stripe and the spoiler will also be black.

DSC04706-vi.jpg

DSC04707-vi.jpg

DSC04708-vi.jpg

Nice colour and it looks very nice on Daytona! Looks like a real pro mod. This is great and very interesting project. Only one month to European Champion competition at Alastaro. It's called Nitro Nationals. Over 20 pro mods are coming B)

Here's just a bit more. Another quick mockup to see how the body in color will look.

The engine is really starting to take shape. I've started adding the fuel and oil lines. All of the bolthead detail on the valve covers is done.

DSC04710-vi.jpg

DSC04713-vi.jpg

DSC04717-vi.jpg