Model Cars Magazine Forum

1st annual demo derby cb

I saw a video where some modern demo drivers had people complain about them using "rare" cars. They pointed out that they were purchased from the wreckers, and if they were so "valuable", others were welcome to put their money where their mouths were and rescue them first.

Right, I know some demo drivers that made me cringe growing up. Taking older steel and crushing them to no end in demos. They later told me that they had salvage titoles and could not be re-registered to the street again and instead of seeing them go straight to the crusher, why not have a little fun with them first.

In all honesty most cars that people derby now are not desirable cars. Now I will say there are some 50s and 60s mercurys, edsels, mopars and Lincoln's that I probably wouldn't derby. Majority of the people run 80&newer crown Vic's, 70s gms and mopars. That's not a desirable car but to a limited number of people and they have every opportunity to buy them.

I used to drive in the demo derby in NJ back in the 1980s. For every seemingly nice car that made it there, there was a story of a guy who tried to sell it to someone who would restore it for a year before giving up and taking it to the demo. I once had a '73 Cougar that people yelled at me about. Well, my friend paid $100 for that car and both he and I tried to sell it for some time. Fall came and I needed it off the property. So I let a Cougar guy take everything he wanted off the car, and we took it to the demo.

There ya go Tom, It's a good thing to part out what ya can but when you need to get rid of a car you have to....

Years ago my friend, his dad and myself went to a demo in Mendota Illinois, the state champions. During the demo he was passing time and he told everyone there a story of a guy who had a Caddillac that was only two years old at the time. The guy asked what would it take to run this car in the demo. Everyone just laughed him off and said yeah right. About a half hour went by and the guy came up again and made it clear he was serious about it. So the officials said he had to take out the windows anyway he could, move the batteries and gas tank along with a few other things. He took a hammer and knocked out all the glass except windshield, had a few guys in the pits help him move the battery and gas tank and painted the numbers on the door. The announcer said that everyone was in utter disbelief of what this guy was doing. The guy went out, ran the car, of course everyone went after him and when the demo was done the announcer went down to ask why did he do it..... The guy simply said, I settle my divorce on Tuesday and my blankety blank soon to be ex gets the car, I just can't wait to see the look on her face when I give it to her!!!!!!!

That's the best demo story I've ever heard!!!!!

I think I'll watch Judge Judy and see if that case comes up! :)

With old cars... 99 percent of the fleet must get used up and scrapped or we'd be 20 feet deep in old cars everywhere. There have always been more cars than demand, so decent running cars do get scrapped. It goes back to Henry Ford's reverse assembly line in the 1920s. There were so many cars around then it was jeopardizing this opportunity to build new ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We use derby all the time but mostly ran 70s chevy wagons

MVC001S1-vi.jpgMVC002S-vi.jpg

Back when I ran the demo at Wall Stadium in NJ back in the 1980s, rules were no station wagons, no commercial chassis and no Chrysler Imperials! I liked full size Chevys, here's my 70 4 door sedan. A friend gave my partner and I this one because he bought it to use as transportation and had one issue after another. He had the water pump go, had that replaced, then the radiator went. He replaced that and the trans started to slip so he had enough. He said it wouldn't go into high (2 speed auto). As I was prepping the car I noticed the trans fluid was very low so I filled it up. As I headed down into the demo pit I felt it shift!

This is an example of how to bring back a demo car. Note the rear is packed perfectly flat. Can still see out the back and once it gets to a certain point, you can't do much more damage to it. Also note that the hood is completely clean. Always protect your nose.

My cars were always pink and we called ourself the Pink E-Racer Team. The "Russia Stay Home" was when Russia was boycotting the Olympics.

I did buy an F&F 4 door hardtop to build this one someday.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Yea people nowdays like the bubble top caprices and impalas the crazist car ive seen derbied was a 64 1/2 mustang in pristine condition ( i liked it getting smashed up since i dont like ford) go against built chevy wagon tanks . Mustang didnt last long vs them. Come to find out the guy was getting divorced and the soon to be ex wife wanted that car in the divorce i wander how she liked the improvements