Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for engine wire?

For those of you who have teenagers in your life (or those who ARE the teenager in your life), you have probably seen countless pairs of headphones get used and abused. At the high school where I teach, broken headphones are a daily "emergency" and I have some students who go through a couple pair a month! Anywho, after finding pieces and parts on my floor, I noticed that there was some interesting colored wire inside the headphones. I started passing the word around that kids with DOA headphones should bring them my way.

UldNH.jpg

Top left is your typical pair of Apple earbuds. These are what I get most of my wiring. Most come with a gold colored wire in each side paired with either a red or a blue wire. Different headphones come with different colors - green, grey, black, even that red/green combo that's just crying out to be put in a Christmas themed car!

You can also scavenge other parts, like screen (shown) and magnets. You'd be surprised what's inside these things. Just let your kids/grand kids/friends know that you are their new Earbud Recycling Facility!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Why mess around when you can get the correct stuff for only $2 delivered?

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1555.l2649

Because a big part of this hobby for a lot of people is the feeling of accomplishment from scratchbuilding realistic looking stuff using stuff that has been scrounged for free. Not to mention the fact that 2 bucks in my pocket is still better for me than that same 2 bucks in someone elses pocket.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

What I do is buy a 50 feet phone line cable for $3.00 or more. I strip out the wire and I have enough for 10 car or more. The wire are Red,Green,Yellow and Black. So I can add all kind or color. If you order wire from model company they give you 4in. for 4.00.1 color. I got 50feet x 4 = 200 feet for 3.00.. Buy the phone line and as you watch tv just pull them apart. I cut mine every 5in. and twirl them until i have 10 pcs and do the rest with the other 3.

post-9749-0-95917500-1386873183_thumb.jp

Edited by Rockie