Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Buick Custom: Re-done

James2

I picked this up from ebay, loosely screwed together. Thought I would begin clean up and body work while working on my Mercury.

Should be a fun build, plans are Low, Smooth and Pegasus wheels. The tail lights are missing, but if I can't find any I'll make some.

11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg

Edited by James2

Great project. I've been looking for one of these, and I like the other restyling I've seen of yours, so I'll be interested in seeing your spin on it. Have you seen Darryl Starbird's take on the car? He ditched the canted quads and cleaned it up some...really attractive car, featured in a 1960 Hot Rod mag.

I love these Classic Cruisers

Wish they could find the tooling of this one!!

Or give us a New tooling of it!!

I have one left of 2 "Boondock Bomber" issues.

I am converting mine into an 'Electra 225' convertible Indy Pace car.

Had to replace the leftover roof/windshield frame with one from the Monogram 59 Impala.

I found a convertible version of this car at the swap meet in Hershey,Pa. back in 2001.Mine was customized in the popular method of the time-Use as much of what's in the box as possible!It's saving grace is that it's chrome is great,it wasn't ever painted, and remains so today.It's one of those models that,every once in a while,I think I'm going to disassemble and rebuild but then I remember that it's a piece of early modeling history so back into it's original box(!) it goes.

​Thanks guys. My parts box did not produce any thing suitable so now the search is on any help is appreciated. I would like to keep it a mild custom or even the stock lights are fine. Modelhaus is one source.

The parts are in decent shape but I think I'll give them a good purple bath to be safe. Most of the blemishes are where the skirts and scoops were removed.

Fortunately the glass was never glued in place! Thanks again, J2

21.jpg22.jpg23.jpg

Edited by James2

Great Score, I picked up a convertible with a crushed windshield for $2.00 15yrs ago, and was finally able to find a fairly clean yellow plastic hardtop promo about 5yrs ago for $40... Ive wanted to build the convert as a Kustom and paint the hardtop Nassau Blue, just havent had the ability since theyre stashed in my storeage unit for some time now...

Since this has turned into a thread of viable options for the '59 Buick, I have restored one using the mentioned '59 Chevy windshield frame, which is a nicely chromed piece. I also used that kit's interior, and will mention that it's much wider than the original Buick interior. I carved the body out and it does look right. You will have issues getting the dash in there. Once I got the windshield and interior to fit, the Chevy's uptop fit too! I'd post pix but Fotki is holding them hostage right now.

Both real beauties.

This is the look I'm after for the wheels. Tires from the Olds kit and I may try spraying the white wall. Wheels from my PB. The Pegasus set would look best I believe, I need to order some of those.

I also started sanding the glue areas and have found some scratches as well. I will attempt to polish this old plastic before priming.

I have heard of different ways to polish the windows, any thoughts?

I have heard of different ways to polish the windows, any thoughts?

James, be careful when polishing the windows as the clear parts in AMT/SMP kits from '59-'60 are prone to developing internal stress cracks over time even, without handling and flexing.

I've had some success using the same polishing kit used for rubbing out paint (finer grits only if possible) then Novus plastic polish following by cleaning with Windex. Critical last step is a dip in Future ("Johnson's Clear with Future Shine" or whatever the latest name is) clear acrylic which does an amazing job minimizing the effect of any stress cracks, fine surface scratches, and reducing distortion through the thicker-than'scale kit "glass."

Hope that helps.

I painted a full size 59 four door for a customer about a yr ago and really liked this body style. Who offers these in kit form. Really interested in building a custom/pro touring style ride from one of these if i can find one or two. Any help would be appreciated. By the way im really liking this one and will keep an eye on the build. Keep up the good work. Have a great day everyone.