Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to build a scale-powered WOODY

Jairus

Yup!

Not touched since that picture was taken.

Had a death in the family, so I pushed it aside for a time. Now Arrow Marketing has me busy most of the time these days building brochures so... maybe I can get back to the woody soon.

When the figures arrive from Jimmy Flintstone... that will inspire me! ;)

Finished up the wheels. Rear rubber is glued and trued. Wheels in the front were treated to some maroon paint and beauty rings... while the rears were cleaned and received a set of 5-spoke inserts.
Now, if anyone is going to jump all over my incongruity of using two different sets of wheels... just consider that most rodders ran steel wheels all around. But when they wanted to take a spin down the drag-strip a set of cheater skins were needed. However slicks would not fit on the skinny steelies. Therefore a set of custom rims were needed and only used when the drag tires were installed. It was actually a pretty common thing on rods during that era to have two different sets front and rear.
I do have a set of Cox freewheeling 5 spoke mags that I am still considering using for the front however and it could be a fairly easy swap.

1010760-vi.jpg

Edited by Jairus

Nice job, where did your "model" go? Did she get tired and leave? Anyway, now the theme for wheels seems to be have two different styles on either side of your car. What I mean, is one set on each side since you can't see both sides at the same time anyway, they have two different set's. I dont' see the point in mixing, but it works for theme. I understand the need for different wheels up front or out back though! Easier to change a pair than a full set!

• 2 weeks later...

This IS a 1/24th scale slot car! And, yes they do still build 1/24th scale slot cars. I do and many other builders still build and race 1/24th scale slot cars. 1/32 is more popular because a home set track can be built up in a spare bedroom with scenery and stuff much like the railroad hobby. In fact, I believe 1/32 guys spend more time building their track than they spend fussing with the cars. But 1/24th scale is still very popular with groups specializing in vintage cars, scale cars and wild machines called "Thingies".

At any rate, this car was built starting with a Revell 1931 Ford model car kit. I simply replaced the chassis with a scratch-built brass chassis, so if you think of it as a curb side model car kit, one would think this forum would easily accept it... however that does not seem to be the case. Instead.... most of the members of this forum have snubbed the tips and tricks shown here just because it was listed in a seemingly "unfriendly" section of the forum.

Their loss I suppose, and thank you for looking!

Hoping to begin progress again soon.... :P

:blink: X 10

i just noticed this woodie and right from the start i thought kemtron or pittman big motor in the back!

thats very incredible work and more so with it being "just" a slot car.

ive been very tempted to get back into building a slot car, a fairly scale slot car, but not having close access to a track is cramping my style.

• 2 weeks later...
ive been very tempted to get back into building a slot car, a fairly scale slot car, but not having close access to a track is cramping my style.

Thank you! The nearest track to me is hour and a half away. But, still I find building slots is way more fun than model cars. Always did, always will. However, learned a ton of stuff building models that really helps detailing and painting slots. Plus, the soldering of slots helps when the need for scratchbuild on models. It is a win + win = win!

So is that naked lady 1/24 or 1/25 scale? Where can I buy one from? I could use one across the hood of my Koenig Ferrari!

The Lady is resin in 1/24th. Her measurements are a scale 36-24-36. Don't know her name and not sure where she came from. Have had her in my collection for many years but... yet to paint her and boy I can tell she is getting pissed..... :rolleyes:

Man J! Love all the wood work you got in to this ! and to think that it is also a powered slot car !

Truth be told i only opened this topic cause it had a comment in it by you on the contains page ! I was hoping to catch a drawing you might have done for a slot car ! I'm not into the race car area of modeling , so i have little intrest in slot cars , but it was your name that made me open the Model Car Racing section and this topic and i must say I'M GLAD I DID ! LOVE THIS BUILD ! GREAT DARN WORK J!

• 6 months later...

Been working my butt off the last two weeks so got up this Saturday morning determined to make some progress on my Woody project. Got a new .032 dropped headlight bar made and found a set of "King Bee" headlights. The radiator, headlights and Pontiac motor are now permanently installed. Next are a few more motor details and then my attention turns to a driver figure and taillights. I love Saturday mornings with double french roast coffee, Car Talk and cool projects!
1010047-vi.jpg
:D

Edited by Jairus

Progress halts for a bit because I am heading out to my daughters for coffee and snacks. Jeremy and Kellie are very special and I am looking forward to visiting with them and seeing my beautiful granddaughter.... Stella.

P1010015-vi.jpg

And the stupid cats... of which there are four ....

206_5262499603911718268_8301_n-vi.jpg

In the mean time, the epoxy is drying on the driver figure. Had to cut yet another of Scale Equipment's neat figures to make a driver. I really wish Rick Golding would pull his head out and make some decent DRIVER FIGURES instead of fluffy girls. Hint hint hint my friend!!!! :lol:

All slot cars have driver figures in the front seat and there are lots of people still building slot cars!

At any rate, the current figure has had his appendix removed and new knee caps installed in order to fit into the cramped confines of the '31 Woody cab. Wish it had been one of Jimmy Flintstone's figures... but he never came through. So... Rick, you are in the spotlight! Crack a cold one buddy. :lol:

P1010048-vi.jpg

Sunday morning. Still plugging away at this crazy project...

Got the driver cut and glued together in a position that looks semi correct, but the best part... he fits the space provided. The Pompidou hair cut fits under the roof perfect with one hand on the wheel and one reaching for the shift knob. (Or a beer)

the outfit is a pair of jeans with letterman jacket over a button down shirt. The standard clothing of an upper middle class High School Senior with the bucks for a rod such as this.

P1010050-vi.jpg

I was also worried about the front end getting damaged so I added a couple of bumperetts that solder directly to the frame rails transferring any impact to the structure most able to absorb it.

P1010049-vi.jpg

Steff3-vi.jpg

:lol:

Harry, deslots are of course possible but a full out crash, flip or wall hit is quite rare if you have some skill driving. Even my Flexi Nascar which can turn 4.8 second lap times rarely crashes unless I "Mix it up" with someone. A car like this is pretty much a curb side model car that can and should be driven around the track now and then. Not at full speed of course because it is NOT a racing car. But just something for fun now and then.

So tell me... which of YOUR model cars can you have any sort of fun with? Ah, besides catching dust of course.... :rolleyes:

A Pocher a la slot car would be VERY cool, especially if you hit a little electric motor in the block, seeing it's hollow anyway.

This is an awesome build, Jairus. I've been toying with trying this with one of my Woodies. I might try it as a sample body, and build the kit as intended, but this is really cool.

Charlie Larkin

A Pocher a la slot car would be VERY cool, especially if you hit a little electric motor in the block, seeing it's hollow anyway.

Charlie Larkin

1. There are no tracks big enough to run them.

2. The blocks are not hollow, they have internal parts (cams, crankshaft, pistons with connecting rods, etc. You'd have to cut away all of the internal structures to hollow out the block.

3. You'd need a big electric motor! A Pocher kit weighs a lot!

Do you actually run these things after they're done? Aren't you afraid of damage? What if you jump the slot and flip over a couple of times... all that work gone in a second...

Building them is fun... seeing what you built go down a 55' track in under a one second is priceless....

liberate those shelf queens and let them live there full potential!!!....lol

Finally finished the driver figure. He was a dude cast by Scale Equipment that required a bunch of modifications to fit into the smallish bench seat. Clothed in chino's, polo shirt with a letterman jacket, the dude represents a High School senior from a wealthy upperclass family. The shifter is not Hurst as this build predates them by a few years... this is an Ansen's "Posi-lock" delux shifter that was the hot ticket during the early 60's.

1010062-vi.jpg

1010063-vi.jpg

Almost done!

nearlydone-vi.jpg

B)

Edited by Jairus

For those of you who think like Harry.... here is a great article found in March 1966 Model Car Science.
ToolnPg01-vi.jpg

The basis of the story is building a "pretty" car rather than a "fast" car. Model "A" bodies by Revell and AMT are placed on a slot car chassis for the pure fun of driving around the track. Not for speed but just to see it go! Bill Geary installs working windows that wind down and I have built up door latches and a working dome light that switches on when the door opens! Are such details any different than a car that you can actually drive around a track? Model railroaders do the very same thing.... so why is this project so shunned by members of this forum?
I have no idea.

Enjoy!
ToolnPg02-vi.jpg

ToolnPg03-vi.jpg

ToolnPg05-vi.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by Jairus

I hope Don Emmons gets a chance to see what he inspired....
Final pics.
P1010073-vi.jpg

The surf boards are held in place at the tips by two strips of black foam rubber. This keeps them in place, but I think removing them before Tooling the track is a better idea.
P1010068-vi.jpg

P1010066-vi.jpg

More pictures at my Fotki site in the Woody folder.
B)
Going up on eBay in the next day or two. Thanks for following along!
J

Edited by Jairus