Model Cars Magazine Forum

London Cab "Surf Fare" *PICS* *WIP* *Updated 1-16*

bondo bill

Here's a London taxi turned into a '60s surf wagon that I'm currently working on. It has faux wood grain and black metal flake paint, and I'd like to finish it off with handpainted Surf Fare lettering, chrome reverse wheels and whitewalls. A surfboard rack and surfboard are also in the works.

Comments welcome!

DSC_0004_zps874f781e.jpg

DSC_0022_zps95469be4.jpg

DSC_0027_zps43a830fb.jpg

DSC_0034_zps6d9c58c8.jpg

Edited by bondo bill

very cool. I've wanted to get one of these kits but can't justify "one more" just now. always thought they could be much more than the box art depicts.

Q: how did you get the wood grain?

and, is Surf Fare a specific company or one of your creations?

thanks

Thanks Surf Fare is just my goofy imagination play on words for the cab-I wood grained by handpainting a light tan layer then dry brushing different colors on top to give grain effect

I like it! I just love it when guys come up with something completely different.

Joe, this is a pretty simple kit with poor detailing. Just look at the parts spread above with the one piece flat chassis and one piece engine bay. Reminds me of a diecast! That's why it's a great kit to use for a surf wagon!

Here's an updated look at it. I'm almost finished (I completed the bare metal foil, subassemblies and paint, handpainted the whitewalls, and added parts box wheels), but I need to apply clearcoat and assemble everything. I've got a mix of parts box and homemade decals that will be going on. The surfboard and rack I'm still working on as well.

Comments welcome!

DSC_0014_zpsda212d9d.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsf91a11fe.jpg

DSC_0008_zps5bc18f3d.jpg

DSC_0004_zps0bc87d48.jpg

DSC_0002_zps5e0c8112.jpg