Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two candy apple Fords. New photo added 1/04

Helipilot16

IMG_4106_edited-1.jpg

Here are two different versions of a '47 Ford convertible. The one on the left was built and painted before I got a picture of the car I was trying to emulate. It was painted using House of Color paint from Black Gold. The other was recently painted using Kustom Kolor paint. The latter one is slightly more orange. There are minor differences in the bodywork of the two.

Look at the picture in my avatar to see what I am aiming for.

Edited by Helipilot16

Nice work Helipilot. Did you use a gold or brass base for the Kustom Kolors candy. I did a spoon test with testor's brass metalizer as a base under Kustom Kolors candy apple red and the result was similar to yours. I experimented with Kultom Kolors primarily on you recommendation on another website and I'm very pleased with it. I bought as much as I could find. As you know, the reducer is a little difficult to find. I ordered a gallon of House of Colors slow reducer from a local paint jobber that should last me quite a while. Keep up the good work.

Nice work Helipilot. Did you use a gold or brass base for the Kustom Kolors candy. I did a spoon test with testor's brass metalizer as a base under Kustom Kolors candy apple red and the result was similar to yours. I experimented with Kultom Kolors primarily on you recommendation on another website and I'm very pleased with it. I bought as much as I could find. As you know, the reducer is a little difficult to find. I ordered a gallon of House of Colors slow reducer from a local paint jobber that should last me quite a while. Keep up the good work.

So far I haven't needed reducer beyond a couple of small bottles. I used it with the HE108 Gold I used for a base. I sprayed the color coat straight out of the bottle! It covered quickly and smoothly.

I always use ColorPlace Equipment Grey Primer under all my paint.

So far I haven't needed reducer beyond a couple of small bottles. I used it with the HE108 Gold I used for a base. I sprayed the color coat straight out of the bottle! It covered quickly and smoothly.

I always use ColorPlace Equipment Grey Primer under all my paint.

The Kustom Kolors candies required very little reducing. But, the silver base required at least 100% reduction.

Marcus ,First, Let me thank you for you're brave service sir . Secondly, mebee it's my old eyes ( I'm 59 ) but the avatar looks certainly more blue or is that an optical illusion?

I like you're model none the less, You have done in my opinion a spectacular job on a Ford that certainly needed some improvements . I'm an Early ford club member too. Ed Shaver

Marcus ,First, Let me thank you for you're brave service sir . Secondly, mebee it's my old eyes ( I'm 59 ) but the avatar looks certainly more blue or is that an optical illusion?

I like you're model none the less, You have done in my opinion a spectacular job on a Ford that certainly needed some improvements . I'm an Early ford club member too. Ed Shaver

It's a 50 year old photograph, so it's impossible to tell by the picture. The original color was true candy apple red. I have gotten as close to that original color as possible.

Very nice work so far.

The ribbed bumpers you're looking for can be found in the later reissues of the AMT '40 Ford Sedan Delivery, the Revell '49 Merc,or unplated resin from Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Md.

Yes, the Desoto bumpers are available, but the ones I was looking for are not the Desoto ones after all. These have fewer ribs. I found thim in a deuce kit, so I am assuming they are stock 32 Ford items, believe it or not. I haven't been able to ask Dick Graease to see what he actually used.