Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 250 GTO

slant6

I havent posted a build in a while, so I figured I would with this one since Im pretty happy with it. Thanks to all of the support from members on the forum, I was able to take my time and get a fairly nice paint job...so far, even for a rattle can (not so great with my airbrush yet). And you all have opened my eyes to the everyday objects being used in modeling as well.

IMG_5141.jpg

IMG_5169.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

if this is the old Aurora version of the kit than why does everyone seem to knock it? looking at the pics posted here it looks to be a nice kit that assembles well. i'm no Ferrari afficionado, but i do have the old Aurora kit myself and i always thought it looked pretty good and it looks like it's been proven here!

Dave

This looks like the Revell of Germany kit to me which is the Protar old mold.... there is nothing wrong with the kit. It is said that the body tooling came off a 1:1 car that was wrecked in the back end and not properly repaired. It has a "squared off" look to it. Other than that it builds up very nice.

DaveT

Its the Revell kit. How did you guys know that?

because if you built one you'd become very intimate with it and know. :rolleyes:

the Aurora 250 is all out of wack.

This one is too, but is reasonably accurate for the car it was modled after, which did have the rear creamed off the back of it. The people that rebuilt it took some liberties with rescuplting the rear to include using wider wheels and some kind of aero advantage. And that was a long time ago, I am sure they never considered what one might be worth down the road.

There is said to be only 1, maybe 2 250s that are more or less unmolested in the entire world. The rest of them, and there were not that many to begain with, have been raced, crashed, modifed, crashed, hacked up, restored, raced, crashed, updated and changed.

Will, that's lookin' pretty fine so far! ;)

I have this kit also (Protar), and IMO it has the nicest set of wire wheels available in plastic! :rolleyes:

As Gerry and others have said, the model is based on a GTO that was hit in the rear at one time, so it is very accurate for that car. It can be built into a sharp model if time and forethought is taken with it.

The kit blows away the old Aurora model as that one is so misshapen as a 250 GTO it's laughable! I had heard the kit was supposed to be at first a 250 GT SWB, but somewhere along the line, the powers that be at Aurora changed their minds and tried to redo the tooling as a GTO. :rolleyes:

Thus the odd proportions and shape...........

There is said to be only 1, maybe 2 250s that are more or less unmolested in the entire world. The rest of them, and there were not that many to begain with, have been raced, crashed, modifed, crashed, hacked up, restored, raced, crashed, updated and changed.

One was even rebodied back in the day. Swedish race car driver Ulf Norinder had a new body made by Drogo for his car. That body was later removed and sold. It's now on another Ferrari chassis. The GTO chassis got another GTO body. I don't know if was entirely new or the old one put back on. IMHO, the Drogo car is quite attractive:

gt-1b.jpg

http://www.tybrainstorm.de/drogo/1-norinder.html

Hi Will, this looks very nice. As a fan of natural metal finishes, I like how you have painted the engine, it's very convincing. I'm not much of a Ferrari man myself but I find the 250GTO fascinating - beautiful, brutal and priceless. I fancy trying the Revell kit.

I wouldn't worry too much about the body shape issue. If it looks good to you, fine. I have heard comments about the inaccuracy of other old kits, Camaros and Cudas, but having never seen a real one, I'd probably still be happy with the finished build! Just as the 250GTO is not a familiar sight to most of us. That's just my own build ethic - if it looks good, it must be good.

Having passed these noble sentiments, I must admit that it can make you rub your chin when kit manufacturers get it obviously wrong, as I found with Tamiya's old Celica GT-R (about 1993?), which I built for my mum when I was young. The rear light shape is just... wrong, which you don't expect from a Japanese company building the only available kit of a new Japanese car.

i have the Aurora kit and it doesn't even claim to be a GTO, but a Berlinetta, is it the same or different?

Dave as I mentioned, Aurora tried to change things midstream (or so I've heard)-----so it really is neither. At least it looks like no Ferrari I've seen, but a hybrid of the two.

I built one long ago, and while it's not a bad kit as far as construction.........it doesn't represent any Ferrari as far as accuracy goes.

At least that I have seen.............:D :D

Im gonna have to go with Simon on this one. I make alot of my kits just the way I want them, cause I like it. You'll see when I get a little further in my build. If it looks good it is good. I havent built a model yet that was "just the way it should be", probably never will. My life is cars, I do custom auto electronics and fabrication, so it all about being different for me. I love the way this car looks (the real one too), and Ive seen so many differences on the same year make and model of this one, that I think it will work out well to put them all together. Either way its great to see all the discussion about the original. Im working on starting a custom car shop with my bro and some freinds, and I hope we can find employee's with an eye like you guys have.

Edited by slant6

if all of the original cars bodies were hand made and not exactly the same is it really that big of a deal that the kits vary in body shape and dimension? like i said i'm not a Ferrari nut or afficianado so to me it's trivial, but i can certainly understand if it's really off to those who know these cars. i have the Aurora kit and it doesn't even claim to be a GTO, but a Berlinetta, is it the same or different?

Dave

Dave; You're right on with this. I was once at Laguna Seca when quite a few GTOs were there. When they are parked side by side, you can really see the differences.

There is no such thing as aftermarket body parts for them. The parts simply aren't interchangeable. At least two of them have been completely rebodied. I find the Drogo version gotesquely ugly. A red Drogo was for sale in monterey in 2007. I never did see if it was sold.

My favorite Ferrari of all time is the ultrarare (only ten were ever built) 275 Spider NART. I have built one of the Revell/Protar NART models, but it didn't come out well, so I have purchased another one to build again.

Edited by Helipilot16

One was even rebodied back in the day. Swedish race car driver Ulf Norinder had a new body made by Drogo for his car. That body was later removed and sold. It's now on another Ferrari chassis. The GTO chassis got another GTO body. I don't know if was entirely new or the old one put back on. IMHO, the Drogo car is quite attractive:

gt-1b.jpg

http://www.tybrainstorm.de/drogo/1-norinder.html

saaweeeet! :)

I have studied pictures of Ferrari 250 GTO's for most of my 50 years of life and the Aurora kit you guys seem to relate to with abhorrence is not that far off. The nose is too short and that is pretty much all I see. As an artist I have a pretty good eye for shapes and design and I believe it is a pretty good representation. Better than the early Monogram Chevy Camaros everyone was building in the 80’s!

The chassis and interior details are on parr with most other GTO kits and the rear quarters look spot on.

Simon is correct however in that if you like it then build it with pride. However, posting on this forum, I sometimes do with a slight cringe knowing the critiques that will inevitably follow….