Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '57 Chevy Convertible.

MachinistMark

True dat! B)

Stoked about the convertible, though, and I'ma start screamin' for a new Nomad next.

Revell's most of the way there, but if Round2 could get off the thumb and do a variation on the new-tool AMT '57, that might be nice to see. The restored parts in the '49 Merc and Avanti are of a distinctly high molding caliber, and a new body and interior done to that standard would be quite impressive.

• 3 months later...

Wake me up when they finally use this tooling to kit a decent '57 Nomad. I'm going back to sleep now...

Might want to get some comfy pajamas. It sounds like this kit may be the last of the Tri-Fives from Revell.

You can always swap the other '57 bumpers for the Connie. The thought of one of those on one of the Bel-Air 2-door sedans, or possibly grafted on to the snap coupe has appeal.

I'll probably be buying two, one to build up-top, one down-top. Now to sort the colors...

Casey, I hope you're wrong with your prediction. I feel that modelers are due a good '57 Nomad and a correctly-proportioned '56 Bel-Air Sport Coupe; if they really get daring, I'd love to see a '56 convertible, too.

Charlie Larkin

Casey, I hope you're wrong with your prediction. I feel that modelers are due a good '57 Nomad and a correctly-proportioned '56 Bel-Air Sport Coupe; if they really get daring, I'd love to see a '56 convertible, too.

Based on Ed Sexton's reply after asking him about future variants based on the Revell Tri-Five tooling-- I specifically asked if '55 and '57 Nomad kits were either planned, in consideration, or possible in the future-- he stated that series had pretty much run its course. I took that to mean this upcoming '57 'vert will be the last of the series. He did offer up that a '57 2-door wagon is the most requested new Tri-Five kit, though, so time will tell.

The Monogram 1/25 '55 Bel Air convertible included only a rear continental bumper, too. Hmmmm...

The first two pictures I posted early this morning shows all which was on the display board. I am *assuming* the balance of the kit will come from the existing '57 210 kit, much like what will happen with the '49 Mercury Woodie/Custom kits.

What are the two round parts to the right of the RH door panels?

What are the two round parts to the right of the RH door panels?

Probably the air filter elements ... they attach to the underside of the triangular aircleaner (referred to by some as a 'batwing' aircleaner) at the extremities, just over the valve covers.

I wonder if they could be planning a "digitally remastered" new tri-five tooling like the 32 Ford got with the Rat Roaster?

Use the same masters, but with new 3D scanning to cut new molds? Compare the common parts between the old deuces and the RR (the coil overs are probably the best example) and see what a difference it makes even with the same old master patterns.

They can't be done with tri-fives. They'll never be done with tri-fives....

They can't be done with tri-fives. They'll never be done with tri-fives....

No, they won't, but it sounded to me like there won't be any "new" modified reissues based on the current tooling after the '57 Bel Air convertible is released. Is there enough demand for 50,000 of these in 1/25 scale?:

1957_2door_wagon%20(01).JPG

You could make one into a drag car Bill!

I do have a 55 nomad on hand slated for a Scotto / Blevins car and to be honest I have serious doubts there will be any more on my shelf , at least not in the forseable future.

Don't get me wrong, I like the cars, just not enough to build a replica of one.

And like a 32 Ford, I've never understood all the new tools or retools of of existing kits, do they really sell that well to demand the reissues, revisions , retools, and/or new tools by ALL manufacturers to have at least some version ?

No, they won't, but it sounded to me like there won't be any "new" modified reissues based on the current tooling after the '57 Bel Air convertible is released. Is there enough demand for 50,000 of these in 1/25 scale?:

1957_2door_wagon%20(01).JPG

YES!! I would buy at least 6!!

That 2dr wagon would be neat to see... as far as other bodystyles, there are several nice resin bodies currently available that work w/ the modern Revell tri-fives....'56 sedan delivery, '56 Bel Air 2dr ht, '57 Nomad, '57 150 4dr sedan..

Edited by Rob Hall

They don't need to make 50,000 of them, the base tooling has been bought and paid for 5 times by now. Sure there's the cost of a body shell and some interior parts, but the vast majority of the parts would carry-over from existing tooling.

They don't need to make 50,000 of them, the base tooling has been bought and paid for 5 times by now. Sure there's the cost of a body shell and some interior parts, but the vast majority of the parts would carry-over from existing tooling.

They still need to sell that many if they make that many kits. A '55 or '57 Nomad I am fully on board with, and I think both would sell better than the '56 Nomad, but IMHO I see neither a wagon nor sedan delivery selling very well.

They still need to sell that many if they make that many kits. A '55 or '57 Nomad I am fully on board with, and I think both would sell better than the '56 Nomad, but IMHO I see neither a wagon nor sedan delivery selling very well.

Maybe Brett can enter into this debate, but they don't HAVE to make 50,000 pieces. I can't believe when they reissue say the '93 based off the Snap-Tite kit Viper they ran 50,000 copies of that kit. It was always my understanding the 50,000 kits total was the TOTAL of all of the kits for all of the tooling variations. I bet they have run that many kits from 1996 until now through the 8-10 different variations (counting California Wheels reissues) of the Tri-5 kits. The '56 Nomad must have sold well enough, it was just reissued again and it didn't kill the entire series back in 1998 when it was the 2nd tooling version.

I just used that number as it was mentioned as the "break even" point for a kit, so it could be 5,000 copies or something else. It would be nice to know how many kits are produced in each "batch", though, and how they decide upon that number. Maybe I should've asked that question Saturday. :blink:

I'm not saying the '56 Nomad didn't sell well, I just think the '55 and or '57 would do better and be more popular.