Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Jim Reed Chevy

MarkJ

Just finished this one. Revell/Monogram kit. Tamiya metallic blue and pure white paint. Homemade inkjet decals printed on Testors white sheet. PPP wheels. Many scratchbuilt parts. 68 hours from start to finish including creating the decals. Model depicts Jim Reed's 1959 Darlington Southern 500 winner.

Fixed photobucket  links

59reed7.jpg

59reed12.jpg

59reed9.jpg

59reed20.jpg

59reed21.jpg

59reed18.jpg

ltftup.jpg

ltsideflat.jpg

ltrearup.jpg

rtrearflat-1.jpg

rtsideup-1.jpg

rtftup.jpg

ltftupft.jpg

The real car

jimreed5x7leftside.jpg

jimreed5x7rightside.jpg

Edited by MarkJ

Very cool! What inspired you to build this one? Do you have a personal connection to this car?

David G.

David, Chevrolet won 4 times in the 50's at the Southern 500. I have now done two of the cars. So I have two more to do.

Excellent model and choice of subject. ;):) How did you do the white decals?

You print them on a white sheet and put a blue background around them. You then cut them out as closely as possible and then decant some of the models spray paint and touch up around them with a tiny brush. You trial and error the blue background when making the decals until it is very close to a color match to the model. It's about the only way i know how to make white decals with an inkjet printer. An alps printer would be nice but i here that eventually you will not be able to get the things necessary to make them work since they are out of production.

Very cool. I wonder also about white wheels on one side and black on the other? Where did you find the reference photos?

I found them at a public fotki site called gwadagone. Most photos of the car are the museum car at the Joe Weatherly museum in Darlington that looks nothing like the actual car that won the race. I did not leave the drivers name off the car. For some reason he did not choose to put it either on the doors or the roof. It is however on the right quarter panel. here is a grainey shot of the car at the Daytona 500 much earlier in the season.

jimreed5x7banking.jpg

Nice job Mark. I've been wanting to build this same car. Have you got any pics of the interior? Also, did you change the kit from the automatic to a stick? That has been the biggest hangup for me. I also did some research on this car and I never cought the difference in the sponces on both sides of the car. You paid much more attension to the different sides. I thought they were from different races. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I also need to print the decals. I chose this car because it was the winner at the Southern 500 plus it just caught my eye. Thanks for posting this and I'll have to save your pics if you don't mind for mine. I hope mine comes out as good as yous did. B) Dan

P.S. If you don't mind, what font did you you use for the number 7? Thanks again.

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

You print them on a white sheet and put a blue background around them. You then cut them out as closely as possible and then decant some of the models spray paint and touch up around them with a tiny brush. You trial and error the blue background when making the decals until it is very close to a color match to the model. It's about the only way i know how to make white decals with an inkjet printer. An alps printer would be nice but i here that eventually you will not be able to get the things necessary to make them work since they are out of production.

Thanks for the description. I've done white decals by reversing the image and printing on the backing and then carefully cutting out the actual white part. Obviously this method works for individual numbers or characters, but not for whole character strings, words, or images. It also presents considerable challenges for small characters with blank centers (for example the numeral "8"). I'll definitely try your method in upcoming projects. Your tip regarding the touchup explains how you did it on metallic paint! A very crucial detail. Great job.B):) Thanks again.

Edited by gbk1

Nice job Mark. I've been wanting to build this same car. Have you got any pics of the interior? Also, did you change the kit from the automatic to a stick? That has been the biggest hangup for me. I also did some research on this car and I never cought the difference in the sponces on both sides of the car. You paid much more attension to the different sides. I thought they were from different races. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I also need to print the decals. I chose this car because it was the winner at the Southern 500 plus it just caught my eye. Thanks for posting this and I'll have to save your pics if you don't mind for mine. I hope mine comes out as good as yous did. :) Dan

P.S. If you don't mind, what font did you you use for the number 7? Thanks again.

Dan, I made the number sevens by taking a number seven off of another picture of the car that was an exact side view of it and then I edited the image with my Adobe photodeluxe proram to make the number for the decal sheet. I use this same method to make the contengencies for my sheets. If you are familiar with Randy Ayers message board I put a thread in the "tips and tricks" section on how I do my decals. Feel free to use these pics to build your model.

Edited by MarkJ

Dan, here is the interior. Since I did not have any good shots of the real cars interior it's mostly a guess. I do know that the interior was blue and the roll bars were white.A lot of the cars back then used column shifted standard transmissions so i just added a clutch pedal and kept the column shifter. I did not change the transmission in the car though its a powerglide.finint2.jpg

Edited by MarkJ

Thanks for the pics and info Mark. This helps me out alot. I'm not familiar with Randy's board. Do you have a link to it? I'm very interested on how you did the decals. I want some. :D I have a few of the pictures of Jim's car. I did do some searching and there isn't much information on it though. I wish the pictures that are availble were of better quality. I really like your build. Thanks again for your help. I'll keep your pics for reference when I do mine. How did you find out about the different sponsers on the sides of his car? I never saw that in my searching. :) Dan

Thanks for the pics and info Mark. This helps me out alot. I'm not familiar with Randy's board. Do you have a link to it? I'm very interested on how you did the decals. I want some. :D I have a few of the pictures of Jim's car. I did do some searching and there isn't much information on it though. I wish the pictures that are availble were of better quality. I really like your build. Thanks again for your help. I'll keep your pics for reference when I do mine. How did you find out about the different sponsers on the sides of his car? I never saw that in my searching. B) Dan

Dan, I found out about the two sponsors by looking at the two pictures I posted at the top of this thread . They are of the car on Darlington's banked turn sometime during the race and the other one is the car in victory lane. It might have had all black wheels when it was in victory lane but at least at one time in the race it had white wheels on the left side and has Fisher Brothers on the left side as well. I thought it would be cool to show how it looks both ways. Below is the thread to how I make a decal.

http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=61523

Dan, I found out about the two sponsors by looking at the two pictures I posted at the top of this thread . They are of the car on Darlington's banked turn sometime during the race and the other one is the car in victory lane. It might have had all black wheels when it was in victory lane but at least at one time in the race it had white wheels on the left side and has Fisher Brothers on the left side as well. I thought it would be cool to show how it looks both ways. Below is the thread to how I make a decal.

http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=61523

Thanks for the link Mark. I checked it out and I really like what I saw. I wish that I had that program you have. How long did it take for you to create the decals? It looked easy in the pictures you posted. Dan

Thanks for the link Mark. I checked it out and I really like what I saw. I wish that I had that program you have. How long did it take for you to create the decals? It looked easy in the pictures you posted. Dan

Dan,I keep a log of every model I do and it took me ten hours to create the sheet for this model. Alot of the contengencies I had already done for previous models so the only new ones I had to do were the sponsors, the number seven and the horsepower decals. I doubt if that program is still available but if you got the newest photoshop program I'm sure it would work perfectly for making decals.

Very nice Impala! This is very nice NASCAR racer. You built it very fast, but it looks nice anyway... Color and paintjob are great and I like the PPP wheels. I bought few sets from Daytona Racing Hobbies and souvenirs, just next to the speedway. Nice job with it and those decals you did are amazing also. Nice job with it! ;)