Model Cars Magazine Forum

Michaels 50% Coupon Or so I thought

I was in Michaels yesterday morning. I saw the 50% coupon and figured I would

pick up a kit to put in the stash. I found one I wanted and headed to the

checkout. She rings me up and says its already on sale. So I headed back

to check out the tags. Sure enough all models are on sale for 30% off.

Total waste of a 50% coupon that I cant even use. So I left empty handed.

I know that next week the 30% sale will be over. Which will be fine with

me since I will just use the 40% coupon that I am sure they will have.

Unless it is on clearance you can still use your coupon. They do it for me all the time..

Only if they charge you full price. Generally, in the weird-business-scheme-thing that mega-hobby/craft stores use, you can't use the [enter amount here]% off coupon on sale items - only on "regular priced items".

Yea. Sometimes Michael's will have a 25% off Purchase Total (which this includes sale items as well). I've noticed Hobby Lobby will do that too. Offer a 40% off coupon and yet the models themselves are on sale. It's a big bummer.

Only if they charge you full price. Generally, in the weird-business-scheme-thing that mega-hobby/craft stores use, you can't use the [enter amount here]% off coupon on sale items - only on "regular priced items".

Yes they give me the option of 30 percent or 50 percet of the perchase price. 50 is better then 30....

I was at one of my local Michaels on Saturday and they had a few models on clearance, at least they had a couple shelf spaces marked clearance but all the clearance models were sold out, guess I got there to late. I also saw the sale they are having this week 30% off all models. Still not a bad deal. It is very strange with Michael's though, one of my local stores has models and supplies but that section looks like it was through an earthquake, the second store(the one I was at on Saturday) everything was neat, organized, well stocked etc... very strange to me that two stores would be so different.

I'm not sure what you guys pay for a kit at Michaels in the US, but up here they're close to $30 for a kit that I can by at a mom and pop hobby shop for almost half the cost. They would not have the buying power of a national chain. Even with the 50% off coupon it it just brings it down to the regular price. What gives!

I'm not sure what you guys pay for a kit at Michaels in the US, but up here they're close to $30 for a kit that I can by at a mom and pop hobby shop for almost half the cost. They would not have the buying power of a national chain. Even with the 50% off coupon it it just brings it down to the regular price. What gives!

The prices here range from $15-$27/29 for kits at Michaels here

I was in Michaels yesterday morning. I saw the 50% coupon and figured I would

pick up a kit to put in the stash. I found one I wanted and headed to the

checkout. She rings me up and says its already on sale. So I headed back

to check out the tags. Sure enough all models are on sale for 30% off.

Total waste of a 50% coupon that I cant even use. So I left empty handed.

I know that next week the 30% sale will be over. Which will be fine with

me since I will just use the 40% coupon that I am sure they will have.

That's when I use my coupon on paint or something else I really need. That really cuts the price of a can of Testors One Coat fast!

So you didn't buy it at 30% off while you were there. So you will return later with a 40% off coupon. You do realize the gas used in the return trip will negate that extra $2 you saved on the kit right?

I drive by Michaels everyday on the way home from work. I live 2 miles from work. Not a big deal to stop in there after work

Unless it is on clearance you can still use your coupon. They do it for me all the time..

Depends on the store. Mine won't do it, I tried to use the coupon off of the full price and they said no. Seem like everything I wanted was "on sale" even if it wasn't marked.

So you didn't buy it at 30% off while you were there. So you will return later with a 40% off coupon. You do realize the gas used in the return trip will negate that extra $2 you saved on the kit right?

I am sure there is a psychological study out there about that exact problem.

It's similar to a study about value - people will drive across town to save $5 on a $10 item but not on a $500 item. The amount you save is the exact same amount in both cases - but one seems like you are saving more (which you are % wise) but not TOTAL VALUE.

So if you drive any distance to the store at $3.25 a gallon, how much is the cost to drive back and forth? Humans are very irrational - myself included.

yea the Michaels in my area decided that they will not allow the % coupons to be used on models or badger airbrushes any more :(

If it doesn't say it specifically on the coupon, then it's false advertisement. Inform the manager you intend to take it up with the Better Business Bureau.

yea the Michaels in my area decided that they will not allow the % coupons to be used on models or badger airbrushes any more :(

The everyday prices of both the Badger 105 Patriot and the 155 Anthem are more than twice that of those same brushes from Dixie Art Supply, delivered.

CadillacPat

The everyday prices of both the Badger 105 Patriot and the 155 Anthem are more than twice that of those same brushes from Dixie Art Supply, delivered.

CadillacPat

Amen to that Pat. Same with the Iwata Airbrush Cleaning station. Huge inflation on the cost of that thing not to mention the selection of kits is pathetic at my local Michaels.