Model Cars Magazine Forum

Due to the fact that I pulll a flatbed trailer, I was asked long ago to take pix of the loads I haul for reference by a member on this forum(I can't remember who). I've been doing so. Over time I will post them.

I decided that since the AMT Fruehauf flatbed is being re-released, it might be a good idea to get started on this thread. I like to display my flatbeds loaded. This should give you some ideas.

Here is the cargo securement chapter of the company manual for my carrier. We mainly haul building materials, but we haul machiery, steel, vehicles and other things. I'll start with the text. The text includes some terminology, and a list of tie down requirements.

textpage1.jpg

WLLpage2.jpg

terminologypage3.jpg

As I dig through my pix, I will post pix of loads I have pulled, so you get a sense of how it's done.

Here are a few pages on hauling coils. Helpful since the Fruehauf flatbed kit comes with 3 coils. Not all coils are tarped, so it won't be inaccurate to display untarped coils in transit. But sometimes I am asked to tarp rusty coils, which is VERY IRRITATING!! >:P Anyhoo, here's "lesson 2", LOL.

coilinfopage4.jpg

coilspage5.jpg

coilspage6.jpg

wirecoilspage7.jpg

3coilssuicidepage8.jpg

Edited by FlatbedKW

• 2 weeks later...

In Australia this would be an overlaod as far as I know now, it's been along time since I've carried rolls of steel but here in Oz 3 rolls in a full load 2 over the or 3 axle rear bogie & 1 over the drive bogie of the prime mover and must be canvas covered at all time but as I said it's been a long time since I carted steel rolls.

Dingo B)

I'll stick with my reefers, thankyouverymuch.

By the by- I may be looking at going to Western Distributing out of Denver. You all may have seen their trucks (really shiny!!!)

LOL. Believe it or not, I pulled a reefer for 8 years BEFORE going to flatbed work! I loved it, and miss it sometimes. However, I got tired of the games, the stress, and the overall garbage that reefer divers put up with. It may be more physical, but the people I have dealt with pulling flatbeds have almost always been nicer. The drivers are definately a more close-knit group.

Good luck at Western if you go. You'll look good going down the road.

Edited by FlatbedKW