Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brain Phartz

GrandpaMcGurk

Lee, I know I still have the molds for the sidewall portion of the tires, but I'm not sure if I still have the slick portion. I created the molds a few years ago, and I'll have to search through my molds to see if the steam roller portion mold is still useable. If not I could probably be talked into making a new mold. You say you want two sets?. I'll let you know in a couple of days what I can do for you.

Drop me a PM. and we'll take this off group.

CHEERZZZZ !!!!!!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR

Edited by MADD FABRICATOR

• 2 weeks later...

I can remember having stickers that looked like that stuck all over my dresser! Don't remember where they came from but one of my nephews kids stillhas that dresser (complete with stickers) somewhere down in Texas!:)

Can't wait to see the finished model!:)

Here we go......gathered up my sculpting tools and rolled out a piece of Sculpey (stuff is expensive considering it's clay), but I like it.

I'm going to try to show in this thread how I do it, it may not be the best or even politically correct but it works for me. I'll be doing some plastic welding, fabricating and setting this goofy build up as if I was going to cast some of it. Perhaps you'll see something you'd like to try.

I have 4 of my own kids (adults) and a half dozen Grand-babies, they all would like to have one of my toys for whatever reason.

I'm too darn old too build that many so I'm going to do one and make copies for them......besides, that way they have to push back from the video games, build & paint it themselves.

Abf1003.jpg

Abf1002.jpg

Oh my, looks like I'm getting close to what I want this grille to look like.

I just knew it was hiding in that clay & putty somewhere. Still have a little touch up to do around the nose & eye openings but I'll soon be able to add the hood/cloak and call it done.

Scaryx002.jpg

The body however is a whole different ball game. It a 2 piece deal (yuk) and I plan on some radical ? mods. I want to raise the rear of the roof but not the front...I also plan to pie section the body to build in an exaggerated "rake". I have to open up some huge wheel wells for the tubs and I want to taper the rear of the body.....guess I'd better drag out my "irons" as I'm going to be doing some plastic welding.

Scaryx006.jpg

Scaryx005.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

In between fume sessions, curing time, screw-ups and sticky fingers working on the Cuda body molds & TDR stuff....leaves me with very little building time.

Anyway, nuff whinin', on with the build.

I did an eyeball mock-up using one of those metal 1/6th engine kits......

Being I'm after a "look" rather than accuracy to scale it seemed reasonable...NOPE...looked too big.

Tried a 1/8th TDR 426.....BUMMER.....the old orbs said just a little too small.

As we all know there aren't a abundance of parts available between 1/8th & 1/6th.

The engine parts below were cobbled up from sliced and diced 1/6th scale metal and plastic parts.

The kit 1/6th carb is on the left........a 1/8th TDR carb on the right.

A17th004.jpg

this pic shows the cut down 1/6th in the middle (primer).

A17th003.jpg

Same deal with the cylinder head.

A17th009.jpg

Valve cover.....

A17th008.jpg

A17th007.jpg

This one is for size comparision and the engine block.....1/6th, 1/7th? and TDR 1/8th.

A17th012.jpg

Now I'll cut down an oil pan & fab up an intake.

Lets see if we can fix some the uglies this Lindy body came with........

Here's the 2 piece body glued together out of the box.

Afiatwells001.jpg

I opened up the wheel well to accommodate the big rubber and started tapering the back of of the body so that it wouldn't look quite as clunky.

Afiatwells004.jpg

Just a little more trimming should give it the "look" I'm after.

Afiatwells005.jpg

I don't like to use any more filler than I have to....shrinkage, ghost lines and so on over time can spoil an otherwise great paint job. Glued butt joints are weak and prone to crack with any sort of handling even when backed up with sheet plastic glued on the back side. Fillers are usually softer or harder than the surrounding material and don't sand/finish at the same rate........more problems.

Sooooo...I "plastic weld" the joints, fill & build up areas with the same plastic that the body is made of. NO glue or filler!

What I'll wind up with is a body that's one piece and all plastic.

Here's a couple of pics showing the spot welds to hold sections in position and I'll post more photos using scrap plastic from the kit as filler.

I'll also show how I fuse fine copper or brass mesh to the inside of the body to add even more strength to the shell.

Be warned...melting plastic stinks and the fumes are probably bad for you. It's also very easy to warp or ruin a body if you don't take your time and apply too much heat in one area...not for everybody, but it allows me to do things would be darn near impossible simply gluing chunks together.

Aplasticweld004.jpg

Aplasticweld003.jpg

I started "welding" with scrap black plastic but it was difficult to see & and photograph, so I switched to white.

Here's a shot of the inside before any clean-up.

Awelded002.jpg

The left side has been rough sanded, the right has not...

Awelded004.jpg

I'll melt a little more plastic into voids and then sand again...

Awelded007.jpg

I sprayed a light coat of red primer/sealer over the gray for photo clarity and to use as a guide coat when I start the final sanding.

Awelded009.jpg

Even though the rear of the roof has been raised nearly 1/4" no filler or adhesive was used, it's all plastic and can be handled, sanded, drilled or whatever right after welding. No need to wait for adhesives to set-up or dry before working on it.

Awelded010.jpg