Model Cars Magazine Forum

TOM NOVAK`S: BBC "SIDEWINDER" REPLICA FINISHED PICTURES

John, I hope I can ask this question without too much backlash from the board. While the bike does look good, on closer inspection I have to ask about the obvious mismatch between the belts & sprockets? It's obvious you put a lot of work into the bike so I was just wondering about the belts/sprockets? I'm not meaning to knit-pick as there is a lot of good work on the bike it's just that the mismatch is quite obvious & detracts from the overall build.

If I may make an observation relating to well known builders and the hobby as a whole. When one reaches the level of exposure and recognition that you have John, you really are not/can not just build for yourself or follow your motto of "Good enough for the girls I go with". You now represent the hobby as a whole, not just yourself. With that level of stature, wanted or not, you owe it to yourself and the hobby to sweat the small stuff and apply the same level of detail to 100% of the project not just 90%-95% of it.

Before people throw an old stand by response like "Let's see what you've built" that is not relevant for anyone to have an opinion on this subject. If I had the exposure of modelers who have been printed numerous times in model publications then you could ask for that comparison.

BTW this is not just for John as there are other builders who the same observation can apply to this just happened to be the most readily available post that highlighted my observation.

Rivet1-vi.jpg

Rivet1-vi.jpg

Your sig line says "It's better to walk alone, than with a crowd going in the wrong direction" Hypocrite much? So because I "walked alone" and didn't heap anything but undying praise on this build (I did compliment the nice work that was done BTW) and asked about a glaring mismatch I am considered a Joyless Modeler & a Rivet Counting Nazi?! You sir are beyond ridiculous.

Edited by J Morrison

And in more than one case John has said he's not perfect.

Second have yet to see a perfect model. And in most cases when you see one close to perfection and talk to the builder they will normally say rhere is always they could have done better.

Very true and please stop using that weak comeback "There's no such thing as a perfect model" schtick. I NEVER said I expect John or anyone to make a perfect model!

However in the case of John's work he has made similar transmission mistakes on more than one occasion. Adding detail for the sake of detail isn't always the right way to go. When your work is in the media so often one owes it not only to themselves, but to the hobby & other hobbyists to try & get the details right & not make the same mistake repeatedly just for the sake of having details on a model. Again this is NOT solely directed at John he just happens to be one of the most visible modelers these observations pertain to.

Edited by J Morrison

It is not an unreasonable expectation to want someone who has been elevated to a face of the hobby you belong to, whether they deserve/want it or not, to do the best job they can representing the hobby. People making excuses for builders are doing them and the hobby NO favors. Also new builders to the hobby see that you can dazzle people with shiny detail, instead of brilliant work and shortcut your way to the top. It's a disservice to the hobby and hobbyists.

BTW There is a lot done well on John's bike, it captures the spirit of the 1:1. All that is damaged by the large difference between the belt & pulleys. A little more effort would elevate it to a much higher status, sadly instead the belt/pulley assembly cheapens the whole work.

Edited by J Morrison

My first thoughts, even before scrolling down and seeing someone else saw it too, was ' Oh boy! Another great build from John Teresi." then in the first detailed picture the missmatch between the belt and pulley jumped out at me. My thought : " Oh no. John, you've done it again." :(

I must say, another great build, great detail, but the missmatch does detract. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I 'am personally impressed with Johns amazing building skills and the one off subjects he builds & I have had the pleasure to meet him at quit a few shows these past couple of years as I started back in this hobby after being absent for some 20 years from building. As far as the belt & cog go so what yes it is noticeable when someone points it out but why dwell on it let it go.

He is an amazing talent and he has helped this hobby grow enormously in more ways than one and is an inspiration to me as a builder to push me to try more advanced techniques while building my next subject and this hobby needs builders like John.

Rock On John !

Edited by Metalmad

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...