Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg Jolly Roger float test

I saw a Youtube video that featured a guy who took a Revell Wasa sailing ship and modified to float in a swimming pool.I have a Lindberg Jolly Roger pirate ship that I decided to make it a sailor.Glued the hull halves and transom with Zap A Gap and clamped it over night.The video recommended that you use pennies as ballast so I filled up the sink and added pennies along the keel until it was balanced correctly.I locked the pennies in place with 2 part resin and let it float for an hour.No leaks and the attitude in the water seems correct.Should be a fun project. 001_zps4c3ccbf0.jpg

Should be an interesting project. You might consider making sure you have access to the hull so you can add additional ballast if you need to. It might end up being top-heavy once you add the rigging & sails.

Good luck, & looking forward to progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Deal! This is a prop from a 1:72 Fokker D.VII. You can see that one half is still in the acrylic wood base color with only a light oil finish applied, while the other side has had the darker oils added.

Before and after:

07%2007%2012%20023_zpsr80bw2dw.jpg

And a 1:350 Titanic model I had been working on some time back.

Before:

Deck%201%20004_zpspcijqgqo.jpg

After:

Deck%201%20005_zpszatcpl91.jpg

Perhaps not the best examples of the concept, but the best I have at the moment.