Model Cars Magazine Forum

VooDoo RAIDER! LED Lights & Special FX Installed...How-To!

Strobe Wings!

First I glued the Wing Halves together. Then I glued the Wings to the bottom half of the Body. Next I attached the White Wing Wires to the Red Power Wire with the other White Wires. I soldered the connection with all of the White Wires together.

I attached the 2 Black Engine Wires to the Top Black Wire from the Board. The 3 Black Strobe Wires are attached to the bottom Black Wire coming from the Board. I tested all of the connections with a 9 volt battery, before soldering. If you hook up the Strobe or Engine Lights to the wrong lead they wont work. Next I soldered the connection with all of the Black Wires together. All of the connections were then covered with Black Tape or Shrink Tubing. I also added Black Tape to hold the lights in if the glue fails.

DSCN7667R_zpstruaafw8.jpg

Here is the bottom of the RAIDER with all of the FX Lights Wired to the Board. Notice the 2 unconnected Red and Black Wires in the bottom left of the photos. These 2 Wires are the Power Wires for the Headlights and the Amidships Housing Lights. They are mounted in the top of the Body.

DSCN7671R_zpsm1vbomlb.jpg

More Coming... B)

Top Side!

I soldered long Wires to the Headlights and the Housing Lights and then covered the solder joints with Heat Shrink Tubing.

DSCN768R_zpshga6nraq.jpg

I drilled 2 Holes in the Body under the Forward Cabin, close to the posts, for the Headlight Wires.

DSCN7679R_zpsfby2u1cv.jpg

Next I drilled 2 Holes in the Body, Directly under the Housing Lights.

DSCN7463R_zpsnpgh5pzi.jpg

More Coming... B)

Top Lights!

First I cut 2 small pieces of Fine Mesh Brass Screen. Then I squeezed and shaped the Screen over the end of a dowel. The Brass Screen holds the round shape and it holds itself in place inside the Amidships Housings Light Cavity. The Lights create a Great effect shinning through the Screens.

DSCN7678R_zpshnlubggb.jpg

Here are the Forward Cabin and the Amidships Housings in place. The Light Wires are run through the Holes I made in the Body for them.

DSCN7688R_zpsokr9dxj2.jpg

More Coming... B)

Looking great Ira, can't wait to see it lit up. Is it just me or do those amidships housings look like the two halves of a quick change rear end center section? Might be something like the AMT 57 chevy chassis that was used on the Millenium Falcon by the original prop builders.

Turn on the Lights!

Here are the Bottom and the Top of the Raider, ready to be Wired together.

DSCN7694R_zpsgx7eloic.jpg

The White (Positive) Wires are attached the Red (Positive) Power Plug Direct Wire. The Black Wires are attached the Black Power Plug Wire.

DSCN7696R_zps8lueus05.jpg

Those were the last Wires! Every Wire was tested before soldering. The next step is to carefully fit the Top & Bottom of the Raider and glue it together. Then Final Touch-Up & Detailing are all that is left to do. I hope to have finished Photos with Lights Tomorrow.

DSCN7698R_zpsjoq5pygc.jpg

Finished Photos Coming... B)

VooDoo RAIDER is Finished!

After carefully checking the Wires and making sure they weren't getting in the way, I glued the Body Halves together. Then I glued the last few parts in place, did some Touch-Up Painting and Tested the Lights again. All the Lights Work Great! Thank You Randy at VooDooFX!

Here are some Finished Photos, hope you enjoy them.

The first photo shows the 17" wide Mobius Cylon Raider on the left and next to it my modified Monogram Cylon Raider.

DSCN7799R_zps93m68qrw.jpg

DSCN7710R_zpsj3z4axhe.jpg

Headlights!

DSCN7765R_zpsy5twffso.jpg

DSCN7735R_zpssxrirvbh.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

Ira, you're amazing man. Voodoo FX oughta pay you for the tutorial. Or at least hook you up with some free goodies.

Thanks Joe!

No Problem. VooDooFX is very good to me. Randy at VooDoo is the Best.... B)

Strobe Lights!

There are 3 Strobe Lights on the Underside of the Body. They all go on & off together because they are controlled by the Circuit Board. This Lighting set up plugs into the wall and converts to DC, it also be done with a 9 volt battery enclosed in the Body.

DSCN7779B_zpss6reej6j.jpg

DSCN7787R_zpsdfc7cbkf.jpg

DSCN7726R_zpssqzni7du.jpg

DSCN7732R_zps7ve1vtbd.jpg

That's All Folks!
Hope you enjoyed the VooDoo Raider... B)

Edited by Ira

Looking great Ira, can't wait to see it lit up. Is it just me or do those amidships housings look like the two halves of a quick change rear end center section? Might be something like the AMT 57 chevy chassis that was used on the Millenium Falcon by the original prop builders.

Thanks Chris!

The sure are Quick Change Rear End Halves. There is also 2 Carb Halves on the bottom... B)

Thanks Chris!

The sure are Quick Change Rear End Halves. There is also 2 Carb Halves on the bottom... B)

LOL. Yup, I see those now. 2 halves of a stromberg looks like. This one sure is a monster next to your Raider Vette. I think this is the closest that I have seen you build a kit out of the box since I joined the forum. How does it look in the dark?

LOL. Yup, I see those now. 2 halves of a stromberg looks like. This one sure is a monster next to your Raider Vette. I think this is the closest that I have seen you build a kit out of the box since I joined the forum. How does it look in the dark?

Thanks Chris!

The Lights are Much Brighter in the dark... B)