Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 4 weeks later...

I figured with with duallys it needed a bigger engine so I took the motor from a 68 corvette rebel racer i have an extra of. I really want to use the headers and side pipes from the rebel racer but i'm going to have to bend the headers somehow to get them to work. I'm also thinking about opening the doors on it. The hinges wont be correct but I don't really care.

Edited by lmtdconnectivity

Ok so I got more done today. I stripped the valve covers and repainted them and the engine is now together minus air cleaner. Not sure what I'm gonna do for that yet. Here are some pics:

41chevymotor3.jpg

I painted the fan blades the same green.

41chevymotor2.jpg

That gap at the alternator is irritating me. I'll probably make a bracket for it.

41chevymotor1.jpg

41chevyframe.jpg

Didn't get as much done as I wanted to in the last couple days but I have the front suspension on the frame fully minus steering box. lowering the rear is giving me problems but ill have it done next chance I get to work on it. Also did some detailing on some parts. Here's some pics:

Here is a shot of the suspension.

41chevyframe1.jpg

Here's a shot of the bottom.

41chevyframe2.jpg

And here's a shot of the stuff I painted. shift knob, horn cap, radiator cap, and pedals all received some detailing. (can't see radiator cap, it's just silver.) Steering wheel isnt done yet. I haven't quite figured out what color I'm going to do for the interior but i know its going to be a shade of tan/brownish maybe a cream I don't know.

41chevyaccessories1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok so it's been a while since I've posted anything. I haven't worked on it since last post. I did get quite a bit done today tho. Here's some pics:

Here are the seats I am using, a scoop? I made for the top of carb (still need to sand it down), and I cut out the front of the body for the grill insert.

41ChevyParts-1.jpg

Here are the cab with a coat of primer, the door panels and the floor i cut out of the body.

41ChevyCab.jpg

Here it is mocked up with what i got so far.

41ChevyAngled.jpg

2012-12-30215019.jpg

Ok so I didn't get much done yesterday. I did some painting and I shortened the front bumper brackets. I also trimmed the grill insert so it looks nice. I'm going back to the bench seat due to the buckets being too tall and laid back unless I can find some other buckets in my parts box. I am planning to do some work on it tonight. Some more painting mostly. I decided on flat tan for interior color. I also have to figure out what I am going to do for headers. The ones I have don't fit between motor and wheels. I have another set that might work but not sure what I'll do If they don't. I'll have some pics later.

Update and Pics.

I found some headers i think i can make work. I'll have to bend them some but these will bend easier than what I was going to use.

41chevyheaders.jpg

Here is the grill and surround. I'm going to de-chrome the grill and paint it black.

41chevygrillfront.jpg

41chevygrillside.jpg

Here are some parts. I added flat tan to the steering wheel and started assembly of the interior.

41chevyparts3.jpg

Hopefully I can get some more done tomorrow.

So I didn't get as much as I wanted to done today but was somewhat productive.

I stripped the chrome off the grill and got it painted black. I also had to strip a door panel and re-paint it.

I decided on making a new scoop after seeing a couple pieces that I wasn't going to use on the 41 chevy.

Here it is with a piece of .20 sheet gluing them together on top.

41chevyscoop2.jpg

Here is with the bottom glued on. still need to trim it down.

41chevyscoop3.jpg

I now have enough testors flat tan and thinner to start airbrushing the interior. I plan on doing that tomorrow. I couldn't find a spray in the color I liked. It also gives me a chance to use my airbrush finally.

More pics tomorrow.

Seat wise you can lop the head rests off those buckets to use them, or like you said, find another pair. A suggestion... if you have any of the MPC Dodge van releases, the custom van benches (diamond pattern upholstery) make a decent seat in a pickup. I'm using one in a '50 Ford and it fit in like it belongs there!

Seat wise you can lop the head rests off those buckets to use them, or like you said, find another pair. A suggestion... if you have any of the MPC Dodge van releases, the custom van benches (diamond pattern upholstery) make a decent seat in a pickup. I'm using one in a '50 Ford and it fit in like it belongs there!

Tom: Sadly I do not have a van. Those seats would make a good pickup bench. I wasn't too sure they would go with the theme anyway in the beginning.

On to an update:

Here is the door panel painted. The other door panel didnt come out as good so I'll probably strip it and start over on it.

41chevydoorpanel.jpg

Here is the finished seat and the scoop is primered.

41chevyseat.jpg

I am a little irritated with my compressor. It's pulsing and it plays heck trying to get a smooth coat. I can't complain too much though, I got the airbrush and compressor for $35.00. AIrbrush is good but compressor isn't.

I also am having trouble with the paint orange peeling. Primer and paint both. It is rattle can spray paint but still, I haven't had this much trouble before. I think its climate. It's been cold here and I do this in the basement.

I did get some other stuff done just no pics. I think I might figure out whats next on the build list while I wait for paint to dry.

OK so no real progress this weekend, just picked up more paint to continue. I'm hoping to at least get the cab painted tomorrow but not sure if I have to work yet. So close to being done, all I have left is painting and assembly pretty much. I need to sand the scoop some and then shoot it and the cab. Then finish the bed up, paint the wood racks, and then make motor mounts and get the headers to work. I've been toying with the idea of just making some short pipes kinda like this:

motor.png

I don't know yet what I'll do. I can leave the exhaust until I get the motor mounted permanently.

I'll post pics tomorrow if I can get anything done.

Hi, I have the same kit, just haven't started yet. But I see an item on your kit that I do not seem to have: the grill surround. Was that part of the kit?

It's actually molded to the fenders along with the floor of the cab. I cut both out with my dremel. First time I've cut on a model in a long time but both cutouts came out good.

Heres a pic of where it would be normally.

41chevygrillinsertquestion.jpg

Alright so I did get some done today and I swear I'm never gonna use rattle cans again. I'm going to start airbrushing my stuff. Well anything door panel size and up. O well enough ranting, on to the pics.

Painted the hand brake and an air breather.

41chevybrakeandbreather.png

Here is the scoop.

41chevyscooppainted.png

Need to sand a little and one more coat on the grill surround.

41chevygrillsurround.jpg

Finally started painting the cab. Still need to do some light sanding and another coat. I should be able to get the sanding and another coat tomorrow.

41chevycabpainted1.png

41chevycabpainted2.png

As for using solder for the exhaust, I haven't thought about that. I'll look into that tonight. Thanks for the idea Tom.

It's actually molded to the fenders along with the floor of the cab. I cut both out with my dremel. First time I've cut on a model in a long time but both cutouts came out good.

Heres a pic of where it would be normally.

[img=http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/lmtdconnectivity/41chevygrillinsertquestion.jpg]

Omg! Now I see what you did! I admire your courage! You cut it out with great precision! I'm going to follow this build! You are on to something great here! :-)

Omg! Now I see what you did! I admire your courage! You cut it out with great precision! I'm going to follow this build! You are on to something great here! :-)

Thanks Jeroen! I cut the floor board out first to get a feel for my new dremel and then went for the gusto. I really wanted to use the grill. Key is to cut farther out than you want and work it down from there. Learned that the hard way. Anyway I'll have pics in the morning or afternoon of what I got done today.